• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

Just been told to get out of the kitchen.....
A big thank you to to all who post on this great forum and a Merry Christmas to you all and let 2023 be a good one.
Special thank you to Mike M for the invaluable work that makes this forum/thread a must to visit everyday.
All the best everyone
Tony and Cath

I have followed this thread most of the year and, for an outsider, it has been entertaining and informative. Well done for all of the detailed contributions and especially to Mike M for his sterling work in maintaining the momentum (and on reaching 200).

We visited Mallorca in May for the first time in 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, despite my wife being severely handicapped by a knee problem, limiting our birding. Unfortunately we don't get the chance to visit as frequently as some on here but we are coming again in September 2023, so I will be following developments closely when the new 2023 thread begins.

All the best to you all.

I’m sure Pep can explain the bunting saga.
I’m not sure there is a positive ID yet but I know very little.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, it makes keeping this thread alive so worthwhile knowing that it is well received.
I hope there will be lots of good birds to report in the coming year!
All the very best,
Mike

Hello everyone
There is a very special bunting in Orient that apparently could be a yellow-browed bunting (Emberiza Chrysophrys), we have gone up every day to try if we see it again and confirm it, but when it has been seen it has only been 3 seconds, so no pictures and not full identify.

We dont know what it is, what species it is, it could be a yellow-browed bunting but being the first for Spain and the western Mediterranean it must be confirmed fully, which until now has not been possible.

We were waiting to confirm it before to publish the observation, but finally it has been getting known but one and others and finally some web published about it, always clarifying: to be confirmed.

I hope some birder could take pictures of it in the nex days.

Happy New Year

Last edited:
Today, for the third consecutive year in the last week of the year, the open fields of Sa Barrala have given us a great surprise:

If in 2020, 30/12 surprised us with an impressive Bimaculated lark (Melanocorypha bimaculata). First for the Balearic Islands.

In 2021, 23/12 was a Lapland longspur (Calcarius lapponicus). Second for the Balearic Islands.

This year, today 30/12 there have been two Calandra Lark (Melanocorypha calandra), third for the Balearic Islands.

The 3 years the birds have been on the same fields, in front of the big antenna on the left, always with the big group of Skylarks.
We were Dani López-Velasco and myself. A nice Gift for the New Year!!!

Attachments

• 205 Calandria.jpg
    205 Calandria.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 205b CalandriaVol.jpg
    205b CalandriaVol.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 44
Congratulations Pep.
I am a regular watcher of these very fields and StewB and I saw eight Common crane and two Red-throated pipits on my last visit there with him.
They are a must in December and as Pep says, some of the best birds have been seen there.
Our guests arrived this morning.
Little do they know that tomorrow they will be going on their first twitch.
Mike

Phil G. saw a young Black stork today at s’Albufera from Es Colombars hide.
It was originally seen flying past the power station but was observed landing near the trees at the back.
It was not seen flying again so is presumably still in the area.
He, together with Phil A, had a great day in the sunshine seeing 63 species.
Mike

Our guests seem to have spectacularly failed to grasp the concept of twitching a new bird for me in Mallorca.
After a long lie-in, they emerged in dressing gowns, had many cups of tea, breakfast, showered and finally declared that they were ready to go. All this time I had been pacing up and down and getting more anxious by the minute.
When I get near the site of a new bird it’s always the same, a trembling, sweaty palms and raised heart rate. I really am too emotional for this lark, if you will pardon the pun.
On reaching the site, my friends were suitably unimpressed with the totally flat and rather boring landscape.
I left them in the car and went to the best viewing area.
There were large groups of larks, pipits and white wagtails.
Luckily, the Calandra lark is distinctive in flight and it wasn’t long before I saw one. Last year I had seen many in Alicante so I was familiar with their jizz.
I scanned a large group for ages but then noticed a bird all on its own in the background.
That was it!
Very distant but quite identifiable. Phew!
Out of 128 photographs, only one is clear enough, but only just. It’s too terrible to put on here.
Mike

Last edited:
Had a great day out yesterday at the Albufera with Phil Garnett and his friend Mike. The weather was perfect; bright, sunny and warm. At the 3 hides overlooking the Sa Roca scrape there was a fair variety of birds but in low numbers. i.e. Teal, Purple Swamp hen, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover, BW Stilt, Glossy Ibis, Water Pipit, Shelduck, Lapwing, Little Stint and of course, Marsh Harrier.

The Ses Pardes hide was as usual fairly quiet, there were Gadwall and Mallard and also around 20 Widgeon which are one of my favourite ducks.
Walking toward the Gran Canal, passing the small pond on the right, I disturbed a Kingfisher which flew off into the reeds. As I walked over the main canal bridge there were 3 Red Knobbed Coots and a Night Heron roosting in the reeds.

At the 2 Es Cibollar hides there was a similar mixture of birds as seen at the Sa Roca hides, with the addition of 4 Flamingos, Avocets, Cormorants, BH and YL gulls and an Osprey, perched on the raised platform behind the scrape, which I presume has been placed there to encourage Osprey to nest there?

We then decided to make an energy investment and take the 1km plus walk down to the Es Columbar hide which can be a little bit hit and miss with the number of birds present. It was a good decision. There were more Flamingos, about 30, Spotted Redshank, Common Redshank, Water Rail, Pintail, loads of Teal and Shoveller, Snipe, Marbled Duck, Golden Plover. We were expecting to find Great White Egret, but not to be.
Just as we were beginning to pack up, ready for the walk back up the lane, Phil Garnett said Quick, Black Stork flying across the front of the power station Phil`s mate Mike said yes got it I was scanning frantically to find it. Phil then said `It`s dropped down into the trees! out of site! I was gutted, so close but so far away. The Black Stork tick would have taken my Mallorca year bird list to 181. It still hurts as I`m typing.
However, we had 60 plus species for the day, great weather and a grand day out in probably the best birding location on the Island.

I`ve also included a couple of Monarch butterfly pics, from my garden, including a mating pair and a lovely female or Juv. Red Breasted Merganser which I found 6 mtrs from the beach at Cala Agulla .

Attachments

• IMG_7600.JPG
    IMG_7600.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7614.JPG
    IMG_7614.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7647.JPG
    IMG_7647.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    992.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7754.JPG
    IMG_7754.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7769 (1).JPG
    IMG_7769 (1).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7775.JPG
    IMG_7775.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7805.JPG
    IMG_7805.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7814.JPG
    IMG_7814.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7831.JPG
    IMG_7831.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
So that’s that then. Another year slides gracefully by and I’m really excited about another year in Mallorca.
The Bigyear starts for me at midnight when I will be out walking and hopefully kicking off with Stone Curlew, a possible Barn owl and maybe a calling Scops owl.

It just remains for me to thank everybody who has read this thread and a big thank you to everyone who has contributed with comments, days out and some superb photographs.
It has been a privilege to read all your posts and I hope to meet up with many of you in the field soon.
Have a very happy New Year and above all, good health to everyone.
With my very best wishes,
Mike

So that’s that then. Another year slides gracefully by and I’m really excited about another year in Mallorca.
The Bigyear starts for me at midnight when I will be out walking and hopefully kicking off with Stone Curlew, a possible Barn owl and maybe a calling Scops owl.

It just remains for me to thank everybody who has read this thread and a big thank you to everyone who has contributed with comments, days out and some superb photographs.
It has been a privilege to read all your posts and I hope to meet up with many of you in the field soon.
Have a very happy New Year and above all, good health to everyone.
With my very best wishes,
Mike
A happy new year to everyone from me too and a big thank you to you especially Mike for all your good work on here and to all the contributors from someone who still has much to learn! My bag is packed, I am off to the airport in about an hour so I hope to see you soon! All the best, David

Happy new year all, here's to some great birding to come.

I had my first trip out yesterday, hoping to find Alpine Accentor at the Albercutx tower. I arrived there at 8.10 am, expecting to have the place to myself. I parked up before the final bend and made my way up the hill, passing 4 French cyclists who were sitting dangling their legs over the edge of the old military buildings and having a laugh. As I arrived at the end of the lane there was a parked car there with a couple inside, fast asleep with blankets over them and music playing! not a good start.
However, I found 2 male Blue Rock Thrushes within a few minutes which cheered me up and I managed to snatch a quick pic of a Balearic Warbler But, no Alpine Accentors to be seen. This is the 6th time this winter that I`ve made the trip to the tower looking for the Accentors and I believe that no one else has found them either?

Off to Can Cuarassa next, I saw Spotless Starling there along with Mike Swiss a few weeks ago and I was hoping to get a few better photos. While I was scanning around I was startled to hear the lovely fluty whistle of a Golden Oriol. It had me thinking for a while, then I remembered that a few months ago, one of our Old Gits Birding club members, Stew B also heard the same thing and realised that it was a bit of mimicry by a Starling. But anyway I was in luck. Three Starlings flew over and landed on the roof of the house that I was hoping for. When I checked my photos all 3 birds were Spotless Starlings, a bonus.

I drove around Pollenca bay, heading for the Albufereta. I pulled over to check out 2 pairs of birds which were showing what appeared to be black and white. They turned out to be Great Crested Grebes out fishing in the sunshine and the flat calm waters of the bay.
At the tower overlooking the main Albufereta lake there lots of birds showing :
3 Great White Egrets, about 55 Flamingos, Avocets, BW Stilts, many Coots and Mallards, An Osprey perched on a post, Grey Herons. Lapwings, Meadow Pipits. And a Bluethroat in the tree to L/H side of the tower, it flew before I could get a photo.

Next stop was the Albufera. There were Night Herons in there canal side roosts and also Mallards, Gadwall and Marbled Ducks.
At the new Sa Roca hide there were teal and shoveller, Lapwings, Shelduck and a Purple Swamphen. But no small waders. The conditions were good, very shallow water and mud.
At the middle hide there was a single Shelduck, nothing else. At the 3rd hide, nothing.
I checked out the Ses Pardes hide, Mallards and Gadwall. I was hoping that the Widgeon would still be around but no.
Over the main Canal and down the lane to the 2 Es Cibollar hides. Very little to be seen. Cormorants, Teal and Shoveller, Lapwings, a Handful of Flamingos in the background and once again, no small waders.
Normally, at this time of year there is usually a nice selection of waders in good numbers at all of the hides. I wonder if the unusually warm weather is having an effect?
At the Es Columbars hide I was hoping that the Black Stork might be around, I bumped into Maties and he hadn't seen it. But there were at last a few more birds about. They were mostly to the left of the hide but at some distance, around the row of of wooden stumps, I picked out Spotted Redshank, BW Stilt, lots of Cormorants. about 25 Flamingos and a few Little Grebes.

On my way back home I called in at Maristany and was surprised to se a Lesser Black Backed gull out on the lake, alongside a few YL gulls. I managed one poor photo just before it flew, along with the YL Gulls. There were a few Pochard around and the ever present Little Grebes.
But its always worth a quick look at Maristany, you never know what you might find.

Attachments

• IMG_7954.JPG
    IMG_7954.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7937.JPG
    IMG_7937.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7935 (1).JPG
    IMG_7935 (1).JPG
    962.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7897.JPG
    IMG_7897.JPG
    930 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7846.JPG
    IMG_7846.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7985.JPG
    IMG_7985.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7897.JPG
    IMG_7897.JPG
    930 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7935 (1).JPG
    IMG_7935 (1).JPG
    962.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7937.JPG
    IMG_7937.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7954.JPG
    IMG_7954.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7985.JPG
    IMG_7985.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7887.JPG
    IMG_7887.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Happy new year all, here's to some great birding to come.

I had my first trip out yesterday, hoping to find Alpine Accentor at the Albercutx tower. I arrived there at 8.10 am, expecting to have the place to myself. I parked up before the final bend and made my way up the hill, passing 4 French cyclists who were sitting dangling their legs over the edge of the old military buildings and having a laugh. As I arrived at the end of the lane there was a parked car there with a couple inside, fast asleep with blankets over them and music playing! not a good start.
However, I found 2 male Blue Rock Thrushes within a few minutes which cheered me up and I managed to snatch a quick pic of a Balearic Warbler But, no Alpine Accentors to be seen. This is the 6th time this winter that I`ve made the trip to the tower looking for the Accentors and I believe that no one else has found them either?

Off to Can Cuarassa next, I saw Spotless Starling there along with Mike Swiss a few weeks ago and I was hoping to get a few better photos. While I was scanning around I was startled to hear the lovely fluty whistle of a Golden Oriol. It had me thinking for a while, then I remembered that a few months ago, one of our Old Gits Birding club members, Stew B also heard the same thing and realised that it was a bit of mimicry by a Starling. But anyway I was in luck. Three Starlings flew over and landed on the roof of the house that I was hoping for. When I checked my photos all 3 birds were Spotless Starlings, a bonus.

I drove around Pollenca bay, heading for the Albufereta. I pulled over to check out 2 pairs of birds which were showing what appeared to be black and white. They turned out to be Great Crested Grebes out fishing in the sunshine and the flat calm waters of the bay.
At the tower overlooking the main Albufereta lake there lots of birds showing :
3 Great White Egrets, about 55 Flamingos, Avocets, BW Stilts, many Coots and Mallards, An Osprey perched on a post, Grey Herons. Lapwings, Meadow Pipits. And a Bluethroat in the tree to L/H side of the tower, it flew before I could get a photo.

Next stop was the Albufera. There were Night Herons in there canal side roosts and also Mallards, Gadwall and Marbled Ducks.
At the new Sa Roca hide there were teal and shoveller, Lapwings, Shelduck and a Purple Swamphen. But no small waders. The conditions were good, very shallow water and mud.
At the middle hide there was a single Shelduck, nothing else. At the 3rd hide, nothing.
I checked out the Ses Pardes hide, Mallards and Gadwall. I was hoping that the Widgeon would still be around but no.
Over the main Canal and down the lane to the 2 Es Cibollar hides. Very little to be seen. Cormorants, Teal and Shoveller, Lapwings, a Handful of Flamingos in the background and once again, no small waders.
Normally, at this time of year there is usually a nice selection of waders in good numbers at all of the hides. I wonder if the unusually warm weather is having an effect?
At the Es Columbars hide I was hoping that the Black Stork might be around, I bumped into Maties and he hadn't seen it. But there were at last a few more birds about. They were mostly to the left of the hide but at some distance, around the row of of wooden stumps, I picked out Spotted Redshank, BW Stilt, lots of Cormorants. about 25 Flamingos and a few Little Grebes.

On my way back home I called in at Maristany and was surprised to se a Lesser Black Backed gull out on the lake, alongside a few YL gulls. I managed one poor photo just before it flew, along with the YL Gulls. There were a few Pochard around and the ever present Little Grebes.
But its always worth a quick look at Maristany, you never know what you might find.
Good stuff Phil! Just in case you weren't aware Mike has started a new thread for 2023.

Chris

Limited options, basically where I can get the car….Maristany yesterday very quiet, but beautiful yellow wagtail, 3 common sands, pair shoveler, purple swamp hen and glossy ibis. Today at depuradora 12 bee-eaters sitting in the trees burbling for about half an hour. Good views, two Marsh harriers (one perched very close), 8 marbled duck, little grebe and serin. Very very hot.
Hi Mickelene,
Just having joined this thread, I wonder which site you saw the marbled ducks during this hot trip? Best regards Lars

Hi Mickelene,
Just having joined this thread, I wonder which site you saw the marbled ducks during this hot trip? Best regards Lars
Hi Lars
Marbled duck can be found on the main reserve at s’Albufera.
Any of the hides should produce sightings, if not, the depuradora near Albufera will be good.
All the best,
There is a new thread started for 2023.
Mike

Hi Lars
Marbled duck can be found on the main reserve at s’Albufera.
Any of the hides should produce sightings, if not, the depuradora near Albufera will be good.
All the best,
There is a new thread started for 2023.
Mike
Thanks Mike,
I am just prepapring for a family visit to Mallorca mid September, where I have to focus the time left for birdwatching!
Lars

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back