• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (18 Viewers)

Philip Garnett in Santa Ponça reported a good day for migration yesterday with many common migrants.
I have long believed that many arriving migrants from Africa come in to Mallorca in the South West.
On some of these good days of incoming birds, I have been at Cap de Ses Salines in the South-East and seen virtually no migration at all.
It’s the best place in the autumn but further west or the north of the Island are definitely the places to be at this time of the year.
Mike

Results are in - the Porth Hellick (Isles of Scilly) flycatcher found a couple of weeks ago was a nominate spotted flycatcher (M. striata), confirmed by Prof. Martin Collinson through DNA obtained from a faecal sample. An educational bird nonetheless for those that saw it. The bird certainly demonstrated some characteristics consistent with established field ID criteria of Mediterranean (Balearic) flycatcher.

Results are in - the Porth Hellick (Isles of Scilly) flycatcher found a couple of weeks ago was a nominate spotted flycatcher (M. striata), confirmed by Prof. Martin Collinson through DNA obtained from a faecal sample. An educational bird nonetheless for those that saw it. The bird certainly demonstrated some characteristics consistent with established field ID criteria of Mediterranean (Balearic) flycatcher.
Interesting! looks like there is a way to go yet before field ID of this taxa is safe........will be looking at them next week all being well anyway.

I had to take Jane’s car for an MOT and took the opportunity to call in at Vilafranca on the way home.
I always keep a spare camera and binoculars in my car but soon realised I was in the wrong car.
Nothing!
To add to the misery, I was surrounded by raptors. I then read that 5 Lesser kestrels and 2 Red-footed falcons were reported this very morning.
I saw two very close and they were definitely lesser kestrels. The problem was, I counted a further 11 birds in the air at the same time. It was incredibly frustrating being so close to some super birds and yet no way of observing them, except to wait until they came close enough to identify with the naked eye.
Then, to add insult to injury, a larger bird was hovering with the kestrels and a slim harrier with a white rump flew low past. It was more than likely a Montagu’s harrier but I cannot say 100%.
I will be back as soon as possible, maybe in the morning, but I would thoroughly recommend any birder to take a look at this traditionally great site.
I once saw over 30 Red-footed falcons there all in the air at the same time. It was a marvelous sight and one which I treasure.
Almost anything can turn up there, I have seen large numbers of Honey buzzard on the move before and Bonelli’s eagles too.
I then called at Castel de Santueri, Felanitx on the way back and there I saw 5 Alpine swift screaming round the castle, a fine thing to see.
It all put me in a good mood as I ate my cheese roll on the wall, looking out across to the east coast and out to sea.
It doesn’t get much better.
The car passed as well.
Mike

I’m now just over a week into this 3 weeks visit. Around 110 species seen and 18 additions to the Mallorca year list. For the early part of this week the island could have been twinned with Newcastle, such was the weather. Over the last 2 days there is the feeling that temperatures are returning to normal. Wednesday brought Squacco heron, nightingale and great reed warbler and my first Mediterranean flycatcher of the year, all at Albufera. I spent yesterday morning at Can Cuarassa without adding anything, a visit to
Albufereta had whiskered tern but no sign of the caspian that had been reported early. I went on to the Depuradora and the horse paddocks parallel to Don Bosc hoping for bee eaters; again another blank. I saw Pep at Can Cuarassa this morning and he reported seeing a Roller which had disappeared from view. I stayed on for half an hour and found it in the wires where it stayed for more than an hour. Views were distant, photos terrible but the profile and the occasional flight views confirmed its identity. There were 2 spotless starlings on end usual roof but still no sign of golden oriole in the nearby gardens. I had planned on going in to the Boquer Valley but seeing the number of cars in the car park decided against it and instead had an hour in the park area on the avenue approach. This turned out to be a good decision. There were several pied flycatchers, a pair of common redstarts, wood warbler, female whitethroat and some close up views of a moustached warbler. I finished the afternoon along the lane beside the Duva Hotel in Gotmar. Other than an Osprey heading north and through the gap to Cala San Vicenc, presumably on migration, there was nothing further to add. Tomorrow morning Albercutx Tower awaits.

Mike Montier, Hi.
Ref: Vilafranca.
'.....but I would thoroughly recommend any birder to take a look at this traditionally great site'

You've whetted my appetite! So I think I'll visit this place on my next visit.

Where is a good place to park? Which area is a good place to start looking?
Thanks , Ian

Mike Montier, Hi.
Ref: Vilafranca.
'.....but I would thoroughly recommend any birder to take a look at this traditionally great site'

You've whetted my appetite! So I think I'll visit this place on my next visit.

Where is a good place to park? Which area is a good place to start looking?
Thanks , Ian
Hi Ian, you would never find me asking for so much information and help.

Unable to sleep for thinking about those falcons at Vilafranca, I got up at a ridiculous time and headed off for the Plains.
Corn buntings were abundant there, a guess would be about 30 in a small area.
As it was so early, many birds were in the road, taking in grit I assume.
Short-toed larks were plentiful along with Thekla lark many Stonechat.
Zitting cisticolas called and a few delightful Spanish wagtails were in evidence.
The skies were completely empty and I felt a bit low. So many great photo opportunities yesterday and here I was staring at an aerial wilderness.
Then the Barn swallows came to lift the spirits a bit. Common swift followed and I became a little more optimistic.
After a further wait, 6 kestrel species appeared out of nowhere and began hunting.
They were so far away but I got the feeling they were of the Lesser variety.
After an hour or so, they moved a bit closer and confirmed my thoughts.
Three other very distant falcons were probably Red-footed.
Photos were difficult but I got some record shots. One kestrel was definitely Common so the maximum lesser kestrel I can count is 5.
That was about it really, so for anyone going, getting there before 10am doesn’t produce much in the way of raptors. They come later.
I had used up all my time and had to go but I really wish I could have stayed all day.
It’s a marvelous place, not for everyone, but those vast open spaces certainly do it for me.
Freedom.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN9839.jpeg
    DSCN9839.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DSCN9832.jpeg
    DSCN9832.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN9829.jpeg
    DSCN9829.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2