• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (2 Viewers)

My phone has stopped working so I can’t give any more news until I get back from Switzerland on Wednesday. There are a couple of British birders on the Island at the moment so I hope they can post and keep the news coming.
We are now in the mountains above Lucerne which is spectacular. Hoping for Nutcracker, Alpine chough and Wallcreeper.
Good luck to my fellow countrymen for seeing some good things.
Mike

A Yellowhammer has been found by Dani in Arenal.
This species is still a Mallorca rarity.
There was an influx last year together with some long staying birds, allowing most birders to get this difficult-to-see bird on their list.

Back home now after a fabulous week in Switzerland. It was just so invigorating to be traveling again, especially with such a dramatic change of scenery.

I began making plans for more trips but it looks like they may be scuppered yet again.
Mike

A Yellowhammer has been found by Dani in Arenal.
This species is still a Mallorca rarity.
There was an influx last year together with some long staying birds, allowing most birders to get this difficult-to-see bird on their list.

Back home now after a fabulous week in Switzerland. It was just so invigorating to be traveling again, especially with such a dramatic change of scenery.

I began making plans for more trips but it looks like they may be scuppered yet again.
Mike
Welcome back Mike. See you soon I hope!

At this time of the year there are plenty of sites to visit.
The Starling roost can be spectacular with inestimable numbers murmurating into the marsh at s’Albufera. Along with them, the elusive Merlín can often be seen diving in for a late supper.

Prat de Sant Jordi, near the airport, is also a great place to visit with high numbers of Starling too together with Lapwing and some interesting birds of the marsh. This site can throw up the odd surprise or two and it has certainly delivered over the years. I went for a great bittern there some years ago but failed to see it. It’s one species that still eludes the attention of my optics.

The harrier roost at Salobrar de Campos is one of my favourite places to go in winter. Large numbers of Marsh harrier drift in for the night in the safety of the reeds, often accompanied by one or two Hen harriers. One year, Jason identified a Pallid harrier in the mix. I saw it but it came in very late, thus making identification a bit more tricky. Even without the birds, there is something very special about being on the marsh at dusk, just standing there tuning in to the calls of many different species. It’s magic.

Seawatching is pretty quiet as a rule but I will be going late one afternoon at the weekend. Small numbers of shearwaters can be seen together with some Gannet and with luck, those monster Great skuas. Rarer birds include Razorbill and the slimmest chance of a Puffin. I have only ever seen one in many years looking out to sea. Just like the marsh, the sea holds many secrets and is such an alluring place to visit. I have grown to love the sea and I go at least twice a week, more during the peak months. The great thing about seawatching is that you just never know.

Woodcock can be seen throughout the Island at dusk although the views are often fleeting.

Thrushes, Brambling and Hawfinch are other winter warmers and Son Real is a good place to go.

I’m sure there are other things to do which I will probably remember in the middle of the night.

I hope to see some of you during the winter, I know some Brits are trying to get here so let’s hope we can meet.
Mike.

Attachments

• C64EAEA3-6DA3-425E-96E8-52F2490F4959.jpeg
    C64EAEA3-6DA3-425E-96E8-52F2490F4959.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1BF81DD2-34BD-40D3-AC3E-D75D55DBAF35.jpeg
    1BF81DD2-34BD-40D3-AC3E-D75D55DBAF35.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 786475B4-A102-48BD-A0BD-11B301D7F45F.jpeg
    786475B4-A102-48BD-A0BD-11B301D7F45F.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 25
  • FD5CBDF5-7C1F-4383-A319-603663BCEE16.jpeg
    FD5CBDF5-7C1F-4383-A319-603663BCEE16.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 6BE60CAF-1CC9-45D9-8309-AA9D976D8E9A.jpeg
    6BE60CAF-1CC9-45D9-8309-AA9D976D8E9A.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 283B02F2-0327-4DA8-9932-6E822D027CA0.jpeg
    283B02F2-0327-4DA8-9932-6E822D027CA0.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 25
At this time of the year there are plenty of sites to visit.
The Starling roost can be spectacular with inestimable numbers murmurating into the marsh at s’Albufera. Along with them, the elusive Merlín can often be seen diving in for a late supper.

Prat de Sant Jordi, near the airport, is also a great place to visit with high numbers of Starling too together with Lapwing and some interesting birds of the marsh. This site can throw up the odd surprise or two and it has certainly delivered over the years. I went for a great bittern there some years ago but failed to see it. It’s one species that still eludes the attention of my optics.

The harrier roost at Salobrar de Campos is one of my favourite places to go in winter. Large numbers of Marsh harrier drift in for the night in the safety of the reeds, often accompanied by one or two Hen harriers. One year, Jason identified a Pallid harrier in the mix. I saw it but it came in very late, thus making identification a bit more tricky. Even without the birds, there is something very special about being on the marsh at dusk, just standing there tuning in to the calls of many different species. It’s magic.

Seawatching is pretty quiet as a rule but I will be going late one afternoon at the weekend. Small numbers of shearwaters can be seen together with some Gannet and with luck, those monster Great skuas. Rarer birds include Razorbill and the slimmest chance of a Puffin. I have only ever seen one in many years looking out to sea. Just like the marsh, the sea holds many secrets and is such an alluring place to visit. I have grown to love the sea and I go at least twice a week, more during the peak months. The great thing about seawatching is that you just never know.

Woodcock can be seen throughout the Island at dusk although the views are often fleeting.

Thrushes, Brambling and Hawfinch are other winter warmers and Son Real is a good place to go.

I’m sure there are other things to do which I will probably remember in the middle of the night.

I hope to see some of you during the winter, I know some Brits are trying to get here so let’s hope we can meet.
Mike.
I woke up early today so made my way down to the Salobrar before 8 o'clock just as it was getting properly light and waded my way through well-churned, glutinous ankle-deep mud along "Eddie's Track" – and that was just the dry parts. All around little brown birds kept popping up out of the brush only to disappear as I got closer. They hid if I stood still and flew away if I moved, but there were certainly willow warbler, stonechat, robins and linnets. Overhead, marsh harriers were in abundance wherever I pointed my binoculars and in the pools there were lapwings (about 100 flew up and away), a group of about 30 shovelers to be seen towards the Es Trenc road, flamingoes, mallards and shelduck seemingly everywhere. Individual avocets and black-winged stilt completed the picture, the air was filled with the chattering of birds and there was not another soul in sight. The soft overcast light was magical, with patches of sunshine visible on the mountains in the distance. No "lifers" for sure but a very worthwhile trip!

Mallorca171221-1-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpgMallorca171221-10.jpgMallorca171221-32.jpgMallorca171221-46.jpg

The Red-breasted merganser is still showing at Cala Gamba, thanks to Steve.

The occasional Sparrowhawk and Common buzzard is being seen. Common cranes are scarce but a small group is being seen regularly at Maria de la Salut.

I went for a seawatch at Porto Petro this evening but it was very quiet. Two Balearic shearwaters saved the day. 75 Yellow-legged gulls were swarming all over a fishing boat which must have been discarding bits of gutted fish as the birds were plunging enthusiastically into the sea at the rear of the boat.

That was it really, but it was good to be out, the sky looked nice and it was quite mild.
Mike

Last edited:
I went to the harrier roost at Salobrar de Campos tonight.
As my wife came with me, I spared her the trek down the knee-deep water of the camino de Sa barrala.
Instead, we elected to go on the tarmac road at the back of the salt pans.
Many birds arrive at the roost site from the north so I reckoned they had to fly over this road to go to roost and it seems that my hunch was right.
12 Marsh harrier flew overhead towards the marsh.
Although I prefer being on the marsh, this is second best and definitely not so muddy!
It’s a wonderful area for larks and pipits so it’s worth a trip to check all these species too as it’s the site where the bimaculated lark was found last year.
Still no sign of any common crane though, it’s always a favourite site for them. The only ones I know of this year are at Maria de La Salut.
Mike

Attachments

• 8FA7BA0C-F82F-476A-B04B-F507B8CA381C.jpeg
    8FA7BA0C-F82F-476A-B04B-F507B8CA381C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Jane was working at the local Christmas market this morning so I snuck off to Salobrar for an hour or two.
A Harris hawk was at the entrance to greet me, I have seen it in the same tree three times now.
There were lots of Marsh harrier, two Osprey, Red kites and what I thought was a Peregrine. It didn’t look quite right though. I watched it swoop up and catch some prey which I didn’t realize was dangling from a drone. When the bird snatched the bait, a colorful parachute opened and they all fluttered gently to the ground. How bizarre.
Two common cranes were distant but a very welcome bird here as I haven’t seen them at this site this year.
Lots of Lapwing, about 75 Flamingoes and a selection of waders, Redshank, Avocet, Sanderling, Little stint and 12 Dunlin.
I walked down to the reed beds at the end and sat on the pump house to rest a while. 3 Bluethroats kept popping up but I’m blowed if I could get a decent photo. It’s a perfect place to sit for a while and I highly recommend just staying there to see what shows. I guess it’s about one kilometer from the car park.
The time passed a bit too rapidly so I had to hurry away. The muddy path is so sticky that progress was severely hampered. It was just like of of those dreams where you try to run away from a ghastly monster and your legs don’t work!
I arrived to collect my wife completely exhausted.
Mike

Attachments

• 5DB77F42-542A-4934-B91D-A0F107553DA9.jpeg
    5DB77F42-542A-4934-B91D-A0F107553DA9.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 50
  • EE66695B-4E4D-4FBB-B1E3-164B3890DDFB.jpeg
    EE66695B-4E4D-4FBB-B1E3-164B3890DDFB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 5A0C98A9-642A-4B98-ACF0-14229FC387AE.jpeg
    5A0C98A9-642A-4B98-ACF0-14229FC387AE.jpeg
    803.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 3B44C3D3-DBF7-48E5-BA0B-017D8ED2CC7E.jpeg
    3B44C3D3-DBF7-48E5-BA0B-017D8ED2CC7E.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 3E9EA472-F0E1-4BA1-B10F-53D6501C52C5.jpeg
    3E9EA472-F0E1-4BA1-B10F-53D6501C52C5.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 48
  • EC031335-8956-45D6-AE6D-124C8E3D3279.jpeg
    EC031335-8956-45D6-AE6D-124C8E3D3279.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Managed to get down to Colonia de Sant Jordi this evening to see if the golden plovers were still there on their island by Hotel Sur. They were, in lovely evening light. I managed a panorama shot of six separate exposures but only one bird out of about 200 was looking the right way. Oh well. I'll be back very soon, until then all the best to all on here!

View attachment Mallorca201221-1-Pano.jpg

I know that some great birds have been found at the Son Real Hide but I`ve never had much luck there. But I decided to give it a go yesterday. I`d been hoping to find a Hawfinch all year and I know that they do turn up at Son Real.
It was a lovely sunny, but chilly morning and I was the only one in the hide; sitting on one of the bench seats that are too high! There were lots of Robins around and Blackbirds, a female Blackcap made a brief appearance and a male Sardinian Warbler flew across. Things went quiet for a while but then a small finch flew into the reeds in the pond and dropped down next to the waters edge. It began bathing and preening, partially obscured by the reeds but eventually it showed a little more of itself and I could see that it was a Siskin. Lovely little bird.
Quiet again, but about 15 minutes later a Hawfinch flew in and landed on the concrete pond edge. I must admit I was really excited, I didn't expect to see one. I managed one quick shot with the camera and it flew off. Maybe the camera spooked it? I was really hoping that it would come back. My luck really was in, 5 minutes later it was back, perched on a branch above the pond. I got several fairly good photos, I was well pleased.
Another bird that I had been hoping to see this year was Dunnock, blow me, one appeared hopping around on the concrete. Didn't manage a photo before it few into the bushes. However, what a morning!
I finished the day off at the Albufera. Still lots of water, no small waders but a good variety of birds to be seen. Including a Grey Wagtail right at the end of the main canal where it discharges into the sea.

Attachments

• IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7912.JPG
    IMG_7912.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7867.JPG
    IMG_7867.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7864.JPG
    IMG_7864.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7860 (2).JPG
    IMG_7860 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7841.JPG
    IMG_7841.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Lovely photos a Phil, thanks for sharing them.

The Rare Bird Alert went off today, a Pied wagtail, yarrellii, seen by Maties at Albufereta.
I saw one here many years ago, right in my home town. It stayed a few weeks so let’s hope this one hangs around a while too.
Mike

Thank you Neal, best wishes to you too.
That’s just how I felt so when I got an offer from Mike Swiss to go and see them, I didn’t need much persuasion.
With best wishes to all readers of this thread.
Hope to see many of you in the coming year.
Mike

Attachments

• 66270C84-3431-47AC-B2F5-32DC58C0AF06.jpeg
    66270C84-3431-47AC-B2F5-32DC58C0AF06.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 6
Maties is at it again but on my turf this time.
A mega rare Lapland bunting was seen by him and Dani at Sa Barrila, probably yards from where I was sitting just a couple of days ago.
Also, two Red-throated pipits there. They are a bit of a mystery bird for me. They are often seen near the pump house but I’ve never connected with them there. I have heard them though, so I know they are around.
I will try to sneak away but it’s not the best time of the year to disappear.
Mike

Maybe one day I will give up chasing rare birds but for now, I’m still hopelessly hooked.
I could hardly sleep for all the images of rarities flashing through my mind.
I therefore got up at a ridiculous time and sat staring out onto to gloomy salt pans at Salobrar, trying to make out some detail.
Eventually, the flock of Golden plovers came into focus but hardly enough light to see much, let alone take any decent photos.
It was one of those balancing acts, do I stay until the sunlight appears, or make for the shops?
A short time later I found myself on the way to the supermarket, definitely the right decision.
I went past the fields where the Lapland bunting was heard and recorded calling. The flocks of pipits, larks and maybe a bunting or two, were moving around a lot, so I reckon it’s best to find a good spot, and sit tight. It may take some time but it would be worth it. It’s the only one I remember here except a fly through many years ago.
Good luck to anyone who goes.
In the meantime, I’ve got about 100 miserable grey photos of plovers to sift through.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back