• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Mike Montier

Happy New Year to all readers and contributors to this thread.
I look forward to another year of great birds and other interesting articles.
A special thanks to Pep for being the link to local information and for his expert knowledge of this beautiful Island.
Thanks also to Martin Honey for always helping out with moth, butterfly and other insect questions.
The number of other contributors to thank is too long to list here but you are a great bunch of birders and I look forward to meeting up with many of you during the year.
I will post all the news that I can.
Happy birding and good health to you all.
Mike

A very Happy New Year Mike to you and Jane and to all the contributors and readers of the Forum. It is an essential daily read, a source of valuable information and helps keep me in touch with the island between visits. After a couple of difficult years it seems like life is beginning to return to normal and over 1600 posts in 2022, almost double the preceding year, is testament to its popularity. I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks when I next return. Here’s to a great 2023, David & Lisa.

The year started with our annual beach party with only a few common species on the list so far.
It was very warm and sunny so I decided to go in for a cooling swim..until I spotted this beauty. It quite put me off.
Any help with the identification would be appreciated.
Mike

Attachments

• CFEB3EA9-B73A-4F95-977B-5FE5373B410D.jpeg
    CFEB3EA9-B73A-4F95-977B-5FE5373B410D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 4C5878EE-DFC1-4E01-9186-0D102ABB06EA.jpeg
    4C5878EE-DFC1-4E01-9186-0D102ABB06EA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
A Happy New Year to everyone who uses this forum.
Many thanks especially to Mike Montier for his sterling work keeping the forum up to snuff.
I was disconsolate that I couldn't get to Mallorca last year.
I'm glad to say I'll be back in Port de Pollensa in April for a week and hopefully it won't be my only visit in '23. But as the Barry Cryer joke goes at 72 years of age I've given up buying green bananas!

The year started with our annual beach party with only a few common species on the list so far.
It was very warm and sunny so I decided to go in for a cooling swim..until I spotted this beauty. It quite put me off.
Any help with the identification would be appreciated.
Mike
Mauve Stinger Mike…does give you a bit of a sting!

Thanks so much for keeping this forum going, Mike- I am also now 72 and I don't see a visit being on this year- but you never know. At least I am not restricted to school/university holidays anymore! Just popping out to hopefully see the two overwintering Yellow-browed Warblers near Northampton. Hugh.

The two Calandra larks are still at Sa Barrala in with a large flock of Skylarks.
I’m hoping to pop beck there to get it on the year list, along with a few more common species.
A couple of Red-breasted mergansers are still around but I haven’t heard of any more Razorbill.
Shearwater numbers will soon be increasing so I will do a seawatch as soon as our guests leave.
The southern grey shrike is probably still at Vilafranca but I will also check that out.
A trip to Son Real beckons and I will be hoping for Hawfinch and I might even get lucky with my annual bogey bird, the Dunnock.
Mike

Our bird-weary guests were dragged along to Sa Barrala yet again to be mind-numbingly bored by my Bigyear antics.
There I met the winner of the Bigyear 2022, Carlos-Lopez, and top man Pep who were also in pursuit of the aforesaid Larks.
It was around 4pm and the flocks of larks were nowhere to be see.
I got a glimpse of two larks going into the long grass which I believe were the Calandras but not tickable views.
I will just have to go again.
I had better wait until our guests have gone home though. If we want to remain friends that is.
Mike.

The results of the Bigyear 2022 are available on the Facebook page so I’m sure it’s fine to share on here.
Many congratulations to Carlos, his first win since starting the Bigyear way back.
My arch rival Toni came in second and I had a late burst to grab third.
The Brits all did well, considering that most of them only visit the Island and do not live here.
Well done though, to everyone who had a go.
Anyone who fancies joining, Pep is the administrator, or just let me know.
It’s huge fun as it gives me the impetus to see as many species as I can, all over again.
Our guests go home tomorrow so I will be out and about at the weekend, that’s for sure.
Mike

Attachments

• 437B671B-1423-4E45-8FEF-67E04D01BA79.jpeg
    437B671B-1423-4E45-8FEF-67E04D01BA79.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 66
Happy New year all - Great to see this thread off the ground again - look forward to seeing the birding year develop in Mallorca and hopefully getting out again before too long!

Interesting looking at the Mallorca year totals - I have annual competition with several birding mates who live in eg Cornwall, Surrey or the Dorset coast (where I also live) to see who can see most species within 10km radius of our homes. Highest total tends to be 205-210 species, which isn't bad...but I wouldn't mind an Audouins gull or a Purple Swamphen, not to mention some Mallorca weather!

The weather has been amazing Chris. 20 degrees most days recently and plenty of sunshine.
A week in the UK at Christmas was challenging weather-wise to say the least. We had to walk everywhere because of the lack of trains and horizontal rain and viscous winds made us be very grateful to be back in the sunshine.

We took our guests back to the airport today but as they had a late flight, I suggested having a walk along the prom before they left. I even offered to buy them lunch.
My choice of venue had nothing to do with the fact that Pep had seen a Red-breasted merganser there the day before. Honest..
After only a short time, I got rumbled. My wife noted my high levels of twitchy-ness and enquired what the bird was.
I searched for ages, but a quick text to Pep put me on the right track. It was a long way up the creek. I would never have imagined that it would be there. But it was. Super-close too. Thanks Pep.
Mike

Attachments

• A6819C25-398F-4249-B9BD-DF8A0A451641.jpeg
    A6819C25-398F-4249-B9BD-DF8A0A451641.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back