• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca birds from 1st week in May this year (1 Viewer)

Aliks

Opus Editor
Not very good images I'm afraid.
Bird 1: Seen in a wooded area between farms in SE of Mallorca
Bird 2: From S'Albufeira / albufereta marshes
Bird 3: Seen on the Island of Cabrera just off the Mallorca SE Coast

Attachments

• ER6_4884_v1.jpg
    ER6_4884_v1.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 84
  • ER6_4216_v1.jpg
    ER6_4216_v1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 83
  • ER6_4270a_v1.jpg
    ER6_4270a_v1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 83
Hello,

I agree with Ken and Rotherbirder about the Flycatcher (although it surely has to the recently split Mediterranean/Balearic Flycatcher?) and the Sand Martin, but I struggle to see a confident Chiffchaff here. Do you have more pictures?
  • I see a hard to judge pp, but it appears to be long
  • head pattern with bold and long supercilum and "chiese-eyed"-jizz seems better for Willow Wabler
  • I played with brightness levels, but I think leg-colouration is impossible to judge with confidence?
Yes, I would lean towards a Willow Warbler, but it least I need more pictures

Thanks Ken, but just to clarify on the Sand Martin, do you mean riparia riparia? (aka Bank Swallow)

Alexander - sadly I only got one shot of this bird. My main reason for keeping the photo is that it was the last shot of the entire trip.

Regarding the flycatcher, yes almost certainly the Mediterranean Flycatcher split.

I'll look again at the raw image tomorrow and try to bring out a bit more detail.

OK here is a retouched version of Bird 1 courtesy of Darktable, plus another blurred shot that might help.

Attachments

• ER6_4885_v1.jpg
    ER6_4885_v1.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 16
  • ER6_4884c_v1.jpg
    ER6_4884c_v1.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 16
Hello,

I agree with Ken and Rotherbirder about the Flycatcher (although it surely has to the recently split Mediterranean/Balearic Flycatcher?) and the Sand Martin, but I struggle to see a confident Chiffchaff here. Do you have more pictures?
  • I see a hard to judge pp, but it appears to be long
  • head pattern with bold and long supercilum and "chiese-eyed"-jizz seems better for Willow Wabler
  • I played with brightness levels, but I think leg-colouration is impossible to judge with confidence?
Yes, I would lean towards a Willow Warbler, but it least I need more pictures
Seen on a proper screen, I would agree with WW Alex.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back