• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals during a couple of days in Miami in August. (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I may find myself in Miami for a day or two next August. Can anyone recommend the best site close to the airport for Manatee? Is Round-tailed Muskrat doable? Anything else I may not of thought of?

Thanks in advance.

The muskrat is not realistic anywhere in the Miami without a lot of time in the field and planning for it, only iNaturalist sighting of the species is a dead specimen. Outside of Miami, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Palm Beach has some rare but confirmed sightings there.

For the manatee, you have a number of options, but if you want it nearly guaranteed, rent a car and go to the Flamingo Marina in Everglades National Park, they like to hang out in the marina and you can see them alongside American Crocodile with relative ease. Outside of there, I've seen them all over the canals in urban Miami around Biscayne National Park, but they are unreliable at best there.

The muskrat is not realistic anywhere in the Miami without a lot of time in the field and planning for it, only iNaturalist sighting of the species is a dead specimen. Outside of Miami, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Palm Beach has some rare but confirmed sightings there.

For the manatee, you have a number of options, but if you want it nearly guaranteed, rent a car and go to the Flamingo Marina in Everglades National Park, they like to hang out in the marina and you can see them alongside American Crocodile with relative ease. Outside of there, I've seen them all over the canals in urban Miami around Biscayne National Park, but they are unreliable at best there.
Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I presume that they are still easy to see there in August? I know they are less reliable in some places outside the winter months.

I don't often visit the park at that time of the year, low bird variety and too many biting insects, but I've seen them the few times I've been there. Nothing is guaranteed, but it's definitely the best place to try for them year-round, the ones elsewhere in Florida move between their winter and summer sites, but in Flamingo since the water temperature is the same year-round, they tend to stick around.

Just keep in mind, the water can be really murky due to the boats, so at best you'll see their nose or part of the tail fluke, not the whole animal.

I don't often visit the park at that time of the year, low bird variety and too many biting insects, but I've seen them the few times I've been there. Nothing is guaranteed, but it's definitely the best place to try for them year-round, the ones elsewhere in Florida move between their winter and summer sites, but in Flamingo since the water temperature is the same year-round, they tend to stick around.

Just keep in mind, the water can be really murky due to the boats, so at best you'll see their nose or part of the tail fluke, not the whole animal.
Thanks again. I never thought about the murkiness!

Thanks again. I never thought about the murkiness!

I saw them earlier this year on the gulf coast. I had a few noses, wakes and general signs of large shapes moving under water

My wife snorkelled with them and even then had to be very close to get a good view due to water visibility

I’d compare the views to when you catch a seal head and middle range from a boat or something but maybe not quite that good. I’ve certainly had worse views of cetaceans for example and they don’t go too far or too deep so you can get your eye in but it’s not amazing views

Edit. That was august. The videos of clear water views are usually December I think

Last edited:
Steve, I went to Belize in March this year and did a trip out for Manatee in Plancencia Lagoon but those views were equally noses, backs and flukes. There may be better viewing opportunities in Belize but just info for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back