• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marine Binocular Recomendations, Please? (2 Viewers)

quincy88

I'm interested in IF, Porro-prism, 50mm binoculars. I absolutely don't need a pair. But I kind of want a pair, so I might go for it. I'm an ocean-going person, so I'll actually use them for their intended purpose.
I'm kind of leaning towards the 7x50s without a compass.
Do any of you have a pair with a compass? If so, how do you like it? It seems like it would mess with the ergonomics too much for me, and is otherwise unnecessary because I have other ways of keeping track of direction. But it is cool.
Anybody on here have a pair of Fujinon FMTR-SX binoculars? If so, which configuration and how do you like them?
Or has anyone tried the Nikon OceanPros? They are a lot cheaper.
Other recommendations?

Last edited:
Hi,

a friend from the astro club has an FMTR-SX2 in 10x50 very nice except for the weight and the IF... but in a reclining chair and pointed up it's great!
You would probably be better served with the 7x50 model though.

As for the Ocean Pro, it seems you get what you pay for...

If you want sth closer to the FMTR series from Nikon, the 7x50 Tropical might be an option...

Joachim

Hi,

Joachim
Thanks Joachim.
That is helpful. Before reading that linked thread, I hadn‘t noticed that the OceanPros were center focus. Interesting.
I’m a little apprehensive and confused about the individual focus thing anyway. You seem to be saying it’s a drawback. Am I understanding that correctly? I wonder why most of the marine binoculars use IF. I want to try it, but it seems like it could give you a head ache.

Anyone on here like IF for marine applications?

Hi,

for birding, IF is certainly not optimal - on a 7x pair less so than with higher magnifications due to the huge depth of focus.

For astro, you don't care - focus to infinity and enjoy...

The reason why marine porro bins are usually IF is the fact that waterproofing a CF porro pair is not easy (and tends to have certain unwanted side effects - Habicht, I'm looking at you with your super stiff focus drive).

Joachim

Last edited:
The yacht types have been fixated on IF 7x50 for decades. It almost seems that there are no other binoculars. I was once sailing and had taken a pair of CF 6.5x32 with me, the skipper almost couldn't believe how light and handy they were.
Haha. I like that story.

My brother-in-law is a Marine type. Spends 8 months a year at sea.

or these, if you are serious.

For boating, I would recommend the ever popular 7x50, and a good one is the Fujinon FMTR-SX. Many boaters also use the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 image stabilized binoculars because you can see markers at a distance better and spot schools of fish.

My 2 cents:
7x50 Fujinon or Steiners are very popular among oceangoing sailors and anglers. Avoid the compass unless it is a task-specific necessity as it interferes with pleasure viewing.

I'm interested in IF, Porro-prism, 50mm binoculars. I absolutely don't need a pair. But I kind of want a pair, so I might go for it. I'm an ocean-going person, so I'll actually use them for their intended purpose.
I'm kind of leaning towards the 7x50s without a compass.
Do any of you have a pair with a compass? If so, how do you like it? It seems like it would mess with the ergonomics too much for me, and is otherwise unnecessary because I have other ways of keeping track of direction. But it is cool.
Anybody on here have a pair of Fujinon FMTR-SX binoculars? If so, which configuration and how do you like them?
Or has anyone tried the Nikon OceanPros? They are a lot cheaper.
Other recommendations?

Quincy,

Given your primary purpose of serious dedicated marine use, IMO you are on the right track looking for a 7x50 IF porro. On the beach from my chair or on a tripod I use Fujinon FMTR -SX 10x50 but the image shake with the 10x may be too much for use on smaller less stable vessels. For 40 years I used a high end Swift 7x50 IF marine armored porro (no compass) on 20 to 50 foot sailboats without a glitch. Gave them to a family friend a few years back still working like new.

The advantage of IF in marine use is they are always properly focused for a specific user requiring no focusing adjustment, especially in low light which can be tricky if not inaccurate. I have never seen the 7x 50 version but the 10x 50 Fuji's performance in harsh/difficult light is exemplary. Big heavy beast though.

Mike

The 7X50 provides great depth of field, minimal focus required on a moving vessel, and easier than higher magnification binoculars to keep steady. The other alternative is a good IS binocular.
I've never seen a pair of IS binoculars. I'd like to try them someday. I know some people on here really like them.
I have used my 7x42s on boats many times. There is something that is just so easy and comfortable about 7x. As is often lamented, it is too bad there aren't more 7s available. Glad that 7s are still well represented in the marine market.
It's looking like I'm going to spend this money on something else. I'll update you guys if I do end up with a pair of marine binos though. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

If you're not stuck on Porros it's worth keeping an eye out for the SLC 7x50 neu - I really like mine and was lucky enough to track down an ex-demo at a good price. Only minor issues with them - they're heavy and the FoV isn't as wide as the 7x42 (still adequate for me).

Most high end are waterproof these days, attach a floating strap and use what you want.
Conquests would be good... waterproof, bright, and built like a tank.

I'm an ocean-going person, so I'll actually use them for their intended purpose.

What are you actually planning to look for? 7x50 is the best all rounder (a bit like 8x42 for birding) but not all marine situations are necessarily the same. If you're searching for distant birds over tuna schools, the best tool for the job could be very different to what you'd use if you were on a small boat looking out for markers and other boats at relatively short distances.

What are you actually planning to look for? 7x50 is the best all rounder (a bit like 8x42 for birding) but not all marine situations are necessarily the same. If you're searching for distant birds over tuna schools, the best tool for the job could be very different to what you'd use if you were on a small boat looking out for markers and other boats at relatively short distances.
I was planning on using them for everything that I might need binoculars for while on a boat - looking at and identifying other boats, looking at birds, looking at landmarks, anything really. Very much the all rounder type of a purchase. I ended up changing my mind and buying other stuff though, so I'm not going to get a pair of IF 7x50s at this time.

Last edited:
If you're not stuck on Porros it's worth keeping an eye out for the SLC 7x50 neu - I really like mine and was lucky enough to track down an ex-demo at a good price. Only minor issues with them - they're heavy and the FoV isn't as wide as the 7x42 (still adequate for me).
Oh wow. I bet those 7x50 SLCs are really cool. I didn't know Swarovski used to make those. I'd love to try those out someday. My two favorite binoculars ever are UV 7x42 and SLC 15x56s - those 7x50 SLCs kinda meet in the middle.

tank build bino 7x50 7.3

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_202729.jpg
    IMG_20230406_202729.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230406_203033.jpg
    IMG_20230406_203033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230406_204159.jpg
    IMG_20230406_204159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230406_204243.jpg
    IMG_20230406_204243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back