• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Harrier showing some characteristics of Eastern? (Kent, UK, 4 Nov) (1 Viewer)

JCL

All

Durwyn Liley and I had an odd Marsh Harrier at Sheppey on Thurs pm (4 Nov). The bird was on the Harty Ferry road, in the main raptor area, halfway
between the channel and the Capel Fleet RSPB raptor view point. We only had brief views and I rattled off some distant record shots. the bird then drifted off east. we thought no more about it and bumbled on.

This morning i've had time to look into possibilities and sift the photos.

At http://www.pbase.com/james_lowen/circus, I have posted a series of photos of the bird, all low res, plus one composite image for ease of reference ('ecomposite.jpg). I have also posted
a composite image with the bird in the centre surrounded by images of
EMH, largely taken from Oriental Birding Images
(ecomposite-eastern-with-sheppey-bird-in-middle.jpg; thanks to photographers).

Some thoughts:

UNDERWING
The most striking feature of the Sheppey bird is the extensive whitish
bases to the underprimaries, which contrast with dark secondaries and
restricted black primary tips. Judging from Robson, Fergusson-Lees,
and Brazil, this is a classic feature of juv EMH. I have not been able
to find a single photo of female/juv western marsh harrier (WMH) on
the web with such pale underprimaries and such restricted black
primary tips; that said, JanJ, in a PM, has suggested that WMH can show this. But not all underwing material is spot on: Martin Garner has pointed out that the extensive cream on the axilliaries would be odd for EMH; he moots a second calendar-year MALE WMH.

BREAST BAND
The Sheppey bird also shows an extensive cream breast band, apparently
extending onto the neck. While second calendar-year female WMH can
show this feature, neither Durwyn nor I had ever seen such an extensive
band, and the apparent extension onto the neck is suggestive of EMH,
according to Niall Moores in a v useful Birds Korea web article
(http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Identification/ID_Notes/BK-ID-Marsh-Harriers.shtml).

UPPERPARTS
I only got one shot of the Sheppey bird's upperparts, but the
extensive cream on the forewing coverts is striking - and more than I
can ever remember seeing on a WMH. Intriguingly there are hints of
pale tips to the greater coverts (forming a very narrow line); while
juv WMH show this, older females apparently do not, whereas it is
routine on juv EMH. Its very presence suggests that the bird is a
juvenile. If it is, there is far too much cream for WMH, so EMH looks
a live possibility. There is also the vaguest hint of pale feathering
on the rump - which again would be a feature of EMH. Juv EMH's often
show a faintly barred tail, but the photo is too poor to enable me to
judge either way whether this feature is present or absent.

HEAD
The Birds Korea article suggests that head pattern is critical to
distinguish adult/subadult female WMH from juv EMH. Here the photos
are equivocal - but erring towards WMH. There is clearly a dark 'mask'
behind the eye on the ear coverts, which is more likely on WMH.
However, the photo of the upperparts appears to show a cream
demarcation between eye mask and dark neck, which brings EMH back into
play (if the eye mask was continguous with the dark neck, Birds Korea
article suggests that it would mean WMH). I cannot determine, from
photos whether the eye mask extends onto the lores; if it did, this
would again indicate WMH.

STRUCTURE/MOULT
(Eagle-eyed) Martin Garner has suggested that the outer primary (p1) looks rather shorter than would be expected for EMH, where it generally falls level with p5. He muses about whether the bird is moulting, which - i fear - might throw everything up in the air.

CONCLUSION
I suspect this is a WMH, but I keep coming back to those underprimaries... so I would be really grateful if anyone with experience of WMH with such extensive pale underprimaries could post here, or direct me towards photos on the web. Finally, I am aware that EMH and WMH
hybridise, but have no feel for what features hybrids might show.
Another complication!

James

I must be going daft, I can't see anything particularly odd for a Western Marsh Harrier, I'm obviously missing something. I took this one in Kent in February 2008 and it looks similar to me>

I must be going daft, I can't see anything particularly odd for a Western Marsh Harrier, I'm obviously missing something. I took this one in Kent in February 2008 and it looks similar to me>

tony - thanks for the photo. your bird looks to be an entirely normal female marsh harrier. i do think that the sheppey bird looks different: among other things, it has a very different pattern to the underside of the primaries - extensive whitish blaze, contrasting with limited black fingertips and dark secondaries.

Just feeding in the view of Phil Round, forwarded by a friend in Thailand: ''I would have absolutely no hesitation in calling this a juvenile Eastern Marsh Harrier. These pictures nail it." We are following up on his reasons!

Just a quick note to highlight the fact that James' harrier was still present at Capel Fleet this afternoon - in fact, it was the first harrier that I saw.

If anything, it's even more striking in the flesh than in the photos - the pale primary base panels are very obvious (reminding me of Black Kite), and the extent of the cream colouration on the upperwing coverts, mantle and breast band exceeds anything I've seen before.

More subjectively, the bird struck me as rather large and broad-winged, so I don't think it is a male.

Unfortunately it never came close enough for any worthwhile photos, so I can't really add anything concrete to the discussion.

However, I do think it's well worth looking for, whatever its identity. Hopefully someone will be lucky enough to get closer photos sometime soon.

Just a quick note to highlight the fact that James' harrier was still present at Capel Fleet this afternoon - in fact, it was the first harrier that I saw.

It was also present when I arrived there at 9.00 this morning. To me, this was a large female type with a more noticeable contrasty gizz than the other 15 or so WMHs I've seen since Monday in various parts of the country including the 3 other MHs at Capel Fleet that were up during the same half hour period. Views were fairly distant and mostly of upperparts as it hunted low over the reed bed channels, so unfortunately little I can offer other than it appeared (from a distance) to have apparently fresh uniform retrices/remiges, almost buff/cream gizz to scaps/upper mantle, noticeable edges to the upper wing coverts with evenly dark secondaries and primaries. It showed conspicuous underwing 'flashes' in flight of pale hands contrasting with a dark carpel area and darker secondaries. I don't know enough about spilonotus to add anything particularly constructive other than subjective impressions and not enough to rule out a MH on individual variability.

(The Sheppey Harriers are boosted in the winter by birds from Scandinavia and E.Europe - perhaps there's a few Siberian intergrades in these populations?)

JCL, I think you'll find this link particularly informative:

http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Identification/ID_Notes/BK-ID-Marsh-Harriers.shtml

Last edited:
As this is an interesting bird several members asked Dick Forsman his opinion. Here's his reply with two photos of a bird that he photographed in Israel.

"I think this bird is a female Western Marsh Harrier. Had it been a juvenile, it would need a closer look, but the short outermost primary (p10) shows it's finalising its annual moult, so cannot be a juvenile. There is nothing in the images indicating anything but a normal female Western Marsh, which is of course also the most likely option. On the other hand, it would be impossible to prove anything else based on these pics!
Best regards,
Dick"

About the pictures he said "I have also attached two images on WMH for those still not convinced, which you can pass on as you feel (originally sharp images, but blurred for increased comparability)."

Attachments

• ciraer134_dforsman.jpg
    ciraer134_dforsman.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ciraer030636_dforsman.jpg
    ciraer030636_dforsman.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Phil Round has informed me that he was looking at the wrong composite images as well, hence his strongly affirmative message in favour of EMH.

He now agrees that the bird in question is a Western.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back