• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (1 Viewer)

Some interesting features on the EM-1 MkII. They seem to have concentrated a lot of effort into improving the auto-focus/focus-tracking of moving subjects like birds in flight. Whether the camera lives up to the marketing hype remains to be seen, but if it does, then this is the one area where the DSLR will no longer reign supreme.

A few features that were rumoured which don't seem to have materialised make it a bit underwhelming though the model may still yet be not fully developed for release to the buying public. There's no sign of the 'hand-held hi-res' mode, no global-shutter, no increased-resolution EVF (that'll look out of date long before the model comes to the end of its life in about 3 years time), but the weight has increased - it's now as heavy without battery and card as the MkI was with them; the original size/weight advantage of the m4/3 system is slowly seeping away.

Also the rear screen has changed from the tilt version to fully articulated which has caused a certain amount discussion on some websites. Personally, I much prefer the original tilt version but Olympus have decided to go for articulated for most of their models now - folding it out to the side makes it look like a 1990s camcorder, but there you go.

I think the E-M1 MarkII sounds like an impressive, bold step forward. Of course you are right that we have to reserve final judgement and not believe all the marketing hype, but still...

The AF system has been entirely re-worked. I am confident it will be a big step forward on tracking with BIF. How big a step, cannot say for sure. My bet is it will at least be getting close enough to DSLR systems that it will start to become a more accepted viable option.

I am impressed by the 18fps speed with full res 20MP raw files with continuous AF, and 60fps full res raw files without AF. That is really amazing. And I particularly like the "Pro Capture mode that starts shooting full-res images when you half-press the shutter and retains the last 14 shots leading up to you fully depressing the shutter." I just can't believe Olympus would put out such a fast camera without an AF system that can keep up with such speed, at least some of the time...

The slight increase in weight was explained as having to do with making the grip a little larger to work better ergonomically with the larger lenses, also perhaps the longer-lasting battery could be heavier and the dual cards might have necessitated a little larger grip. But yes, it is a little heavier with a bigger grip. I would not worry about the "size/weight advantage of the m4/3 system slowly seeping away." In the press event for the announcement of the new body, the presenters including the CEO reiterated up front and more than once, Olympus' Imaging vision of smaller, more portable gear. Some of the features in the EM-1 MkII will trickle down into the smaller bodies they make. Indeed, Olympus has demonstrated that they won't hold back in that regard (e.g., the E-M5II introduced the high res mode).

The EVF is not any higher resolution, but they did improve it with a faster "frame rate of 120 fps and a minimum six-millisecond display time lag." That makes sense to me. Sure more resolution is always welcome, but the enhanced speed may be even more noticeable/important.

I'm with you on the swiveling LCD; I would prefer the simple tilting design most of the time. There are definitely 2 camps on that. Some people really wanted a fully articulating LCD. It isn't all bad, but the only time I would appreciate it is when setting up very low to the ground in vertical/portrait orientation.

As for the 50MP high resolution mode, it will be included. I think they had to downplay that in this "pre-announcement" because they are still tweaking it. Personally for me, the 50MP high resolution mode is not the most important feature, and I am a little doubtful how well it could possibly work hand held, particularly with telephoto lenses, on top of image stabilization? But if it works at all even under some limited scenarios, it will be a bonus.

Anyway, I'm an enthusiastic Olympus owner and I want to believe their products will be good, so take it for what its worth--just my 2 cents--but I was not "underwhelmed" but rather impressed and surprised by how many significant improvements Olympus is building into the new E-M1. Pretty bold stuff if you ask me, not at all an "incremental" update like Nikon tends to do.

I haven't even studied the Panasonic GH5 improvements, but I have an idea these 2 bodies may mark a "turning point" for mirrorless and micro-4/3.

Dave

Last edited:
Some interesting features on the EM-1 MkII. They seem to have concentrated a lot of effort into improving the auto-focus/focus-tracking of moving subjects like birds in flight. Whether the camera lives up to the marketing hype remains to be seen, but if it does, then this is the one area where the DSLR will no longer reign supreme.

Just one comment: I have not tried it myself, but DPReview said about the Pana G7 that tracking AF on that model was as good as entry level nikon and canon cameras. I realize that both brands have AF in upper models far better than their entry models, but m43 is not too far behind the dSLRs anymore.

Regarding the size advantage, the pana-leica 100-400 is about 2/3 the weight of the canon 100-400 ... (I also realize the canon has a slightly lower F-stop)

Niels

Niels

I have not tried it myself, but DPReview said about the Pana G7 that tracking AF on that model was as good as entry level nikon and canon cameras. I realize that both brands have AF in upper models far better than their entry models, but m43 is not too far behind the dSLRs anymore.

But then the AF tracking of all entry level Nikons or Canons is virtually useless compared to their "better" models. I don't know the Canon range that well, but even the AF tracking of the latest entry level Nikons like the D5500 is miles behind much older Nikons like the D300 or the D300s. And the D500 and the D5 are in a totally different world yet again.

MFT still has a very long way to go before they can compete with the latest DSLRs, I think. We'll have to wait and see if the just announced Olympus OM-D 1 MkII does get a bit closer.

Hermann

Some other good features: all '+' type focus points may be better for focus accuracy compared to the previous 'box'-type. All settings can be saved to a computer to re-load after a firmware upgrade (that'll save bit of time even if you have jotted them all down beforehand).

Hermann,
as stated I do not agree:
MFT still has a very long way to go before they can compete with the latest DSLRs, I think. We'll have to wait and see if the just announced Olympus OM-D 1 MkII does get a bit closer.

If you had said upper level dSLR, then I would have agreed. Some of the new ones are entry level.

Niels

Loaded Metabones firmware v2.5. Seems fine. The problems I had with 2.4 are gone. C-AF is still useless, but I am not expecting better out of the E-M1. Maybe the Mark II??:smoke:

Loaded Metabones firmware v2.5. Seems fine. The problems I had with 2.4 are gone. C-AF is still useless, but I am not expecting better out of the E-M1. Maybe the Mark II??:smoke:

Glad it works well. My E-M1 II is on order ! What I have seen so far looks great.

Hi Jules,
Do you still have a Metabones adapter? Please let us know how it works in the Mk II if you do. VERY curious.

No - I sold both the adapter and the 400mm. However, the adapter has been sold to a good friend who will use it with a Sigma 150-600mm and an E-M1 II. I will gladly report on how well it works.

If you know anybody interested in a SkyWatcher SW80ED with all the goodies, I will probably sell it too.

Well, I'm not surprised that your premium triplet beats the Sigma. IMO, it is quite normal. But, considering the price of the lens, it is still quite good.

Regards
J

The Sigma S is really good, no doubt about it. It is just a question of whether it has advantages for me over the Canon + TC, which it doesn't seem to have. I was hoping it would do better with the Canon TC because then it would be a real alternative to the scope (which is even a killer with the EC-14 tacked on); AF, stopping down, even hand hold-able, 400g lighter, more compact, not to mention being able to zoom, though it is pretty stiff and hard to manage if the lens is not on a tripod.
I may wait and try to get hold of a Sigma TC-1401. It might work better with that.
Sure is well built! Beautiful....

Thanks for sharing. Clearly demonstrates the optical quality of the scope.

That 50 SEK banknote has been discontinued btw ;)

Then I guess it isn't a crime to photograph it...;)
On the other hand, might mean a couple of beers less next time we are in Sweden...B :)
Yeah, the scope is really a knockout, even with the EC-14. Would be hard to give that one up unless the Sigma, or something else were to come closer.

I have just updated my adapter to V2.5. Will let you know if I perceive any improvements compared to 2.4

I have been using 2.5 since it came out without problems. Still have to see if C-AF works at all with the Sigma.
New test pictures up.... very interesting...
The Sigma is looking better all the time! Get this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N04/31337797225/in/album-72157673225203114/

It is getting closer to being a replacement for the whole business, Canon, scope, TCs everything...

Nice results Dan. Don't forget that the Sigma also works with the Canon 2X TC in autofocus mode... giving you 2400mm FF eq.

Did you consider the Sigma C ? Same results, much lighter and less expensive.

Hi Jules,
The 2x TC is MUSH!! Totally useless. I have considered the C but opted to try the S first because of slightly better IQ and AF performance. If I can borrow one though, I will test it for sure.

I find that it crashes quite often, maybe from switching back and forth from the Canon to the Sigma. I naturally always turn off the camera but often it won't focus when I turn it back on. Sometimes pushing the lens release button helps, otherwise I have to pop the battery out briefly. I will try 2.1 again tomorrow and see how the Sigma does.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back