• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microphone to use with 1D MkIV (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
I often shoot short clips of video when I'm out and about and would like to avoid hearing all the internal rumblings of the IS without turning the IS off. I ran into an adept of the dark side today who had a microphone mounted on his D4 hotshoe and he reckoned this solved the problem for him. Any recommendations of microphones to use on Canon cameras? eBay of course has all sorts for sale but I expect most of it is junk. :-O

Thanks for any advice

Tim B :)

Last edited:
i use that one ,it works great but will pick up the IS if mounted on the hot shoe ,i bought a longer cable so i can put it 3mt away if needed.
Rob.

i use that one ,it works great but will pick up the IS if mounted on the hot shoe ,i bought a longer cable so i can put it 3mt away if needed.
Rob.
That's a pain. OK for a very static shoot but pretty hopeless if wandering around. I wonder if there's any way of insulating them from the IS noise.

That's a pain. OK for a very static shoot but pretty hopeless if wandering around. I wonder if there's any way of insulating them from the IS noise.

I dout it Tim - the rode when fitted to the hot shoe sits right over 500f4is L IS unit .a wind sock is also needed on these type of mics .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back