• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindelo Sewage Works Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

Steve Copsey

Morning All

I was just wondering if anyone had information on and how to get to Mindelo Sewage Works on the island of Sao Vicente, part of the Cape Verde Archipeligo. I will only be at the mindelo Port for a day or so. Thanks.

Morning All

I was just wondering if anyone had information on and how to get to Mindelo Sewage Works on the island of Sao Vicente, part of the Cape Verde Archipeligo. I will only be at the mindelo Port for a day or so. Thanks.

Cape Verde islands? There seems to be a bit of interest in them on the forum at the moment. I would suggest buying a copy of Birds of the Atlantic Islands by Tony Clarke, a Helm Field Guide. Not only does it have pictures of the endemics and other species of the islands, including Cape Verde, the text mentions occurrences of some of the rarer visitors by place. For example, for intermediate egret it mentions one "on sewage ponds near Mindelo" for nearly a year 2002-3. How to get to the ponds? I suppose that they are not on the sightseeing circuit, so taxi? Someone else will have to advise you on the Portuguese for "sewage works"!

Allen

Cape Verde islands? There seems to be a bit of interest in them on the forum at the moment. I would suggest buying a copy of Birds of the Atlantic Islands by Tony Clarke, a Helm Field Guide. Not only does it have pictures of the endemics and other species of the islands, including Cape Verde, the text mentions occurrences of some of the rarer visitors by place. For example, for intermediate egret it mentions one "on sewage ponds near Mindelo" for nearly a year 2002-3. How to get to the ponds? I suppose that they are not on the sightseeing circuit, so taxi? Someone else will have to advise you on the Portuguese for "sewage works"!

Allen

Thanks Allen, I have the book. I hope to put it to good use. It was from the text that I noticed that the sewage works receive their fair share of waders etc, as most most sewage works seems to do.

Thanks Allen, I have the book. I hope to put it to good use. It was from the text that I noticed that the sewage works receive their fair share of waders etc, as most most sewage works seems to do.

the local sewage cleaning plant (Estação de Tratamento de Áquas Reciduais – ETAR) at Ribeira da Vinha, ca. 3 km southwest of Mindelo.

It does seem a bit of a shame to visit somewhere as spectaclar as Cape Verde and then go to the sewage works!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back