• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missing colour plates from "Raptors of the World" 2001, by James Ferguson-Lees and David Christie. (2 Viewers)

Maybe complete, but printed upside down! :oops:
That was the original scan. The plate is scanned with less distortion when the excess of the book sticks out of the scanner. Otherwise, I would not have been able to close the lid. Turning things around can be done by whoever wants to do it. I had to use a special program in order not to lose too much resolution.
Anyway, I hope it's satisfactory now. :unsure:

My copy's ISBN is 978-0--7136-8026-3. Could it be that yours is an updated/ammended version? Or could it be that there where other versions of this title from Helm and some where simply flukes of the original or something??? Who knows.
There obviously must have been. I bought mine in Oct. 2001 from a British bookstore, probably NHBS (?)

My copy's ISBN is 978-0--7136-8026-3. Could it be that yours is an updated/ammended version? Or could it be that there where other versions of this title from Helm and some where simply flukes of the original or something??? Who knows.
Ours are first print runs, the error is clearly a later printing, the last number in the ISBN is the print run so yours is a third print run.

With regard to 'an ammended version', in that case it would have a wholly, new ISBN.

That was the original scan. The plate is scanned with less distortion when the excess of the book sticks out of the scanner. Otherwise, I would not have been able to close the lid. Turning things around can be done by whoever wants to do it. I had to use a special program in order not to lose too much resolution.
Anyway, I hope it's satisfactory now. :unsure:

No worries, image and intention was was perfectly clear.

Just my twisted brain that couldn't let got of an opportunity to joke; certainly no offence intended!

ISBN were changed in 2007 from 10 digits to 13. The added digits 978-0 are the conversion from ISBN10 to ISBN13. The final digit is not a print run number it is a "check digit", an mathematical error correction device. ISBN10 and 13 use different maths.

They are both valid ISBNs for the same book.

space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

Raptors of the World(1st Edition)
(Helm Identification Guides)
by James Ferguson-Lees, David A. Christie, Kim Franklin, David Mead, Philip Burton
Hardcover, 992 Pages, Published 2001 by Gardners Books
ISBN-13: 978-0-7136-8026-3, ISBN: 0-7136-8026-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back