• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Raptors of the World Field Guide out (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Yesterday I managed to buy a copy of the Ferguson-Lees and Christie Raptors of the World Field Guide. I skimmed through it on the train back from York and can thoroughly recommend it. It has become a useful and portable version of the huge tome that came out in 2001, having half the number of pages!

There are several new aspects to the book. It has new plates by Alan Harris, updated maps and an annotated list of all raptors. There are 25 extra raptors, these being elevated to full species level.

After just an hour's train journey skimming through it I can definetely recommend it for anyone's Christmas list.

Pied Kingfisher said:
Is the 2001 version having 900+ pages? Half that number is still at 400+. May need some weight training before bringing it out to the field ;)

Perhaps the words 'field guide' is somewhat misleading. Why would anyone want to take a 450+ page Field Guide for the raptors of the world into the great outdoors, when all you'll need for most countries is a couple of those pages. Surely a raptor guide to the country you are in is all you need?????

I wouldn't dream of taking even the reduced version to Israel.

John.

Raptors

Chris, the book sounds wondrful. I'm studying raptors now and the book would be a great teacher. Thanks,for the info. Jeaneen
Chris Monk said:
Yesterday I managed to buy a copy of the Ferguson-Lees and Christie Raptors of the World Field Guide. I skimmed through it on the train back from York and can thoroughly recommend it. It has become a useful and portable version of the huge tome that came out in 2001, having half the number of pages!

There are several new aspects to the book. It has new plates by Alan Harris, updated maps and an annotated list of all raptors. There are 25 extra raptors, these being elevated to full species level.

After just an hour's train journey skimming through it I can definetely recommend it for anyone's Christmas list.

Pied Kingfisher said:
Is the 2001 version having 900+ pages? Half that number is still at 400+. May need some weight training before bringing it out to the field ;)

The Field Guide version has 320 pages.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back