• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Thrush or Song Thrush? Seen on Walthamstow Marshes, London, UK (1 Viewer)

FWIW, this individual is NOT a Mistle Thrush despite it’s cosmetics, but a Song Thrush of an unknown presumed Eastern race, behaving very much like the latter darting beneath the hedge when disturbed, then furtively hopping out when the coast was clear (a public footfall site).
Went to Tring (Herts) with a colleague to look at skins of Song Thrush where we found an example (head pattern) very similar, that was procured in Verkhoyansk (USSR) during the early 20th century.

Cheers
Before looking the bird up, I thought you christened it 'Natalia the Song Thrush', lol (Natalia (given name) - Wikipedia).

The word 'cosmetics' remains odd and unexplained, but, if this is here as a request for ID assessment, you would need first to provide originals of stills/video. The ones posted have contrast/saturation pumped up to the max - and beyond any reality or usefulness, I'm afraid. No offence.
Structurally, the bird suggests song thrush.
Good to know you can separate one from tother….no offence intended.

Before looking the bird up, I thought you christened it 'Natalia the Song Thrush', lol (Natalia (given name) - Wikipedia).

As you know 01, Sergei Buturlin proposed the separate race of Natalia, however it was not widely accepted at the time.
As to whether it warranted “status” as such that’s for others to decide, however Verkhoyansk is well and truly Siberia and the subject bird did compare well to the said specimen.👍

Are we both referring to the bird in this video? If so, I can't see any buffy patches on my monitor. I'm not saying it's not a Song Thrush, just that with the pattern of spots it has on a clean white breast it looks more like a Mistle Thrush to me.
Am I the only one who still thinks the bird in this video is a Mistle Thrush - or, at least, not safely identified as a Song Thrush?

I'm not so experienced with the seperation two--unlike some others in the forum--but my first feeling was Mistle Thrush because of the shape (oval and only getting arrow-shaped towards the upper breast) and distribution of spotting on the underparts.
Apart from the greyish face already mentioned, the spotting present between the legs would be another pro-Mistle Thrush argument (image below doctored in Lightroom by setting minimum possible contrast).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528-185849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528-185849_Chrome.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back