• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Blue tit babes (1 Viewer)

Dale5

Hi all,

Just wanted to post some pics of my 9 Blue Tit babes that fledged last Friday. :t:
As you will see they nested in the Woodpecker/Starling box, luckily not ousted by either bird. It's just as well, I have not seen my pair of Woodpeckers since March time, Probably gone back to breed in the woods.

On one of the pics, you will see a youngster peeping out of the box last Thursday evening.
It was so lovely to watch, he was having a good look outside, but when the wind blew he hid back in the box. :king: This happened several times, it was great to watch.

I placed Mealworms out every day and it helped the parents so much, they didn't have to fly far to find food. The babes were truly spoilt. :'D

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 29
What lovely pictures! He looks so sweet peering out wondering whether to go or not! Thanks for sharing them.

Hi Dale.
Cracking photos of a healthy-looking lot of young 'uns. I must remember to get some meal worms for next year; the parents of my brood worked their soul-cases off fetching and carrying for their chicks.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Dale,

Nice photos, thanks for sharing them with us. If that was 9 from one box that's an excellent result.

Cheers, Bill

Thanks all for your nice comments. :bounce:

I was surprised there were 9 babies in the box as well. Over the last few years, it was around 6 or 7 babies.
Perhaps the female decided to lay more eggs because there was more room in the box, than in your normal tit box.

As well as the mealworms, the parents used to feed the babies on a Jacobi Jayne Orange Essence fat block, which I placed in a shady part of my garden to avoid the full sun.
Talk about feeding your kids the 5 a day fruit and veg allowance, it certainly helped them anyway. :-O
There's a Berry fat block out today, should they like to try a different flavour. :bounce:

Lovely pictures, Dale. It's just like watching Springwatch! You must be very proud.
I haven't seen anything of my Great Tits from the rowan tree, but I have been visited by both Blue Tit chicks and Goldfinch chicks from somewhere else.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back