• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Leica (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
So I bought my first Leica! And, unusually, its an APO Televid 82. I've been looking to upgrade my scope for a few months now, and I recently came across a pretty good deal.

A while ago I had a chance to check out the Swarovski ATX and the Zeiss Harpia (both in 95mm), and neither of them blew me away. Lets see if Leica's famous build quality extends to their top-end scope.

I'm very curious to compare it with my Vortex Razor 85mm and then take it out into the field to see what it can do. If I decide I want to keep it, I might also treat myself to the 1.8 extender.

I'm a sucker for the top brands. They always get my money in the end.

IMG-3999.jpg
IMG-4001.jpg
IMG-4002.jpg
IMG-4003.jpg

Lets see if Leica's famous build quality extends to their top-end scope.

Unless upgraded in more recent samples, the eyecup is very fragile; I managed to break it at least two times during the 7 years I had this scope and as an eyeglass wearer, I very rarely even used it other than completely down position.

Otherwise the scope has very good build quality though and the zoom eyepiece itself is very good and comfortable to use even with glasses (lots of eye relief).

I hope you managed to get good low aberration sample, if so, I think you are dealing with a very good scope. Also there is an option to get higher magnification by getting the 1.8x extender.

Regards, Juhani

I am a glasses wearer, too, so eye placement is important. One of the big reasons I got the NLs was the ease of use with glasses.
That’s a beautiful Leica spotter, all the best of luck with that. I’d be curious as well to see how it compares to the Razor.

Of course nothing has to be said about the NL bins, as good as it gets.

Paul 🙏

I see you've already read this thread, but I would suggest re-reading it, especially Juhani's post #2.

Of all the big expensive scopes the Leica looks the least interesting to me, based on the modest aperture and the low 50x maximum zoom magnification alone. The Kowas are certain to have better CA correction and if you can't find a Leica with low spherical aberration what's left to make it desirable?

It certainly doesn't have the standout features of the Zeiss and Swaro competitors at this price point. But the offer, combined with a curiosity about Leica glass, a reputation for generally good build quality and user experience, made me willing to give it a try.

If I had another £2000 to spare on top of my budget at the moment, I might have got the ATX 115. Maybe I'll save up for a year or two and see how I feel.

First impressions so far... The Leica beats the Vortex in all respects. No real surprise there. I'll post more thoughts once I've had additional time to try it out.

It certainly doesn't have the standout features of the Zeiss and Swaro competitors at this price point. But the offer, combined with a curiosity about Leica glass, a reputation for generally good build quality and user experience, made me willing to give it a try.

If I had another £2000 to spare on top of my budget at the moment, I might have got the ATX 115. Maybe I'll save up for a year or two and see how I feel.

First impressions so far... The Leica beats the Vortex in all respects. No real surprise there. I'll post more thoughts once I've had additional time to try it out.
I have the Televid 65, had it for about 3 or 4 years now. Previously had the 82 when they first came out then a series of Swaros. Finally gave up on them when (Swaros) when I kept getting internal fogging, on three different scopes (ATS 80's). In desperation got the Leica from my local dealer, easily the best scope I've had. Small, robust, and a fantastic image. Several people, without prompting, have commented on the view when stepping up to look at a bird. I'm not an optics expert by any means, just a birder, but this scope gets used every day and never fails to deliver. And yes, they have fixed the fragile eyecup issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back