• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Highland garden (1 Viewer)

And there's me thinking it was gonna be an eagle species. Still a sparrowhawk is still a nice bird.
Our local one seems to have found another garden to haunt as we've not seen it for a little while.

Details from the BTO ringing attached

The BTO caught 71 birds in total (see attached). The majority of the godwits were young birds, which probably means that they will summer in the area. The only bird that was ringed previously was the curlew, which had been ringed in Finland, the BTO caught it at the same site 15 years ago!

Attachments

• Ardesier 17 April 2011.rtf
    25.2 KB · Views: 66
Cue questions along the lines of 'are you still seeing that Finnish bird Marcus?'

My neighbour just informed me we had a pair of bullfinches in the garden at 6am this morning. He thought about shouting to me but decided against it, probably a wise move!

Wow, would love some Bullfinch.

Bizarrely Keith I now have two Greenfinch on the Sunflower Hearts nearly permanently. Cheers for sending them my way.

Birds are everywhere. Over 60 Linnets are chuntering away along with 30-40 Sand Martins hawking over the garden. Best of all I was out doing circuits of the garden watching the birds and a Tree Sparrow was sat on the roof. Couldn't believe my eyes. Went for a shot and it was off. Food out all winter and nothing - the sun is out and the birds are flowing. It's incredible right now.

Having fed the birds all winter without much success I now have 2 Linnet, 5 Greenfinch and 3 Goldfinch permanently gorging on the Niger ad Sunflower Hearts.

I guess these could be birds that didn't spend the winter here.

Quite a few recent additions; swift, arctic tern, whitethroat and sedge warbler.

Swallows nesting in garage along with Pied Wagtails. Pied Wags have fledged five chicks, though only one has made it out of the garage the others are still in there but not in the nest.

A family of six Stonechat about half a mile up the road.

Couple of House Martins made their way onto the list and 5 Pied Wagtails fledged. Judging by the activity this afternoon they should be having a second brood too! now up to two pairs of Swallows in the garage.

The feeders are now a top draw and we a pulling in huge numbers of birds;

- 50+ Starling
- Max count of 63 House Sparrow!
- Two Tree Sparrows
- Chaffinch
- up to 30 greenfinch
- Two Siskin are new today
- Goldfinch

Looked offshore to see a post breeding flock of 23 Red Breasted Merganser, very nice. Normally get ones and twos.

Wow Marcus, you really are building up a cracking garden list aren't you.

D

Hi Delia,

And there was me complaining about the lack of action on the feeders. Just covered in birds - looked out now must be over 100 birds in the garden.

Hoping we can keep them through the winter this time.

Am not sure on the status of tree sparrow here, but it is not that common, so to have eight is superb.

Marcus

This cheeky chap regular sings from the washing line - often just as the rain starts (so a lot at the moment!). Not sure what the purpose is, but as soon as I hear him the rain starts coming.

A kind of coincidence that the washing line is his choice to sing in the rain - quite a good alert to get the clothes off the line!

Attachments

• Swallow 1200lq.jpg
    Swallow 1200lq.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 34
Ha ha! Just wait till the youngsters have fledged - they'll all be sitting there wanting fed.

Er... where will the washing go then:-O

D

Ha ha - to be honest I have never brought the washing in my life. Well maybe once or twice.

The gloomy weather is actually quite good for some hide work in the garden. Tree sparrow obediently using the perch. Should get a nicer branch but it'll do for now. EDIT and should put it horizontal!

Attachments

• Tree sparrow1200.jpg
    Tree sparrow1200.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back