• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Wader (Shorebird) (4 Viewers)

erizzo said:
I was just looking in Sibleys and it shows that the Redshank has been recorded in Kansas, so why not in Missouri
Erik, as I understand it, there are two species of redshank.

One is the Spotted Redshank (affectionately referred to as Spotshank by some of our members across the pond).

The other is the Common Redshank, a.k.a. simply as Redshank.

The Spotted Redshank has been recorded in the United States (as shown in Sibley's Guide). Sibley has a dot on the map of Kansas, indicating there has been a sighting there. Sibley does NOT include the Common Redshank as a species that has occurred in the United States.

Jane Turner said:
Did you see it in flight Larry.. the wing pattern is extremely distinctive.

Jane, as I emailed someone else on the Forum, I would have "given my right arm" to have been able to see the bird in flight! Unfortunately, I did not.

Jane Turner said:
Redshank is an obvious tringa Larry... I guess it would be closest to Solitary Sand on Build and size and nervous disposition.
I would guess the bird I saw did have a "nervous disposition" because after I had safely parked my vehicle and gone back the short distance to where I had seen the bird, it was gone. I believe the bird was a tringa and not a calidrus.

I found this while "googling". It was from: personal.nbnet.nb.ca/tingley/pred11_20.html - 6k - Aug 15, 2004

16. COMMON REDSHANK - This yellowlegs-like Eurasian shorebird breeds commonly as close as Iceland, is a long-distance migrant and seems a prime candidate as a vagrant to our shores. There has never been a substantiated record of this species in North America, and while Newfoundland seems the most likely spot for one to show up, why not find one here first. The east coast of the province, especially the northeast, seems the most likely place. Has a spectacular, unmistakeable wing pattern in flight.

Trevor, what did Peterson have to say about Redshank in Newfoundland?

Jane, this article refers also to the "unmistakeable wing pattern in flight" which you mentioned.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
Larry.. Spotshank is stucturally quite like a Lesser Legs
Jane Turner said:
Redshank is an obvious tringa Larry... I guess it would be closest to Solitary Sand on Build and size and nervous disposition.
It's interesting how we see birds, isn't it? This isn't my take on the shanks at all. To me, Redshank is most like a Lesser Yellowlegs, but less delicate-looking, with shorter legs and a slightly sturdier bill (though, being British, I usually do the comparison the other way round of course). If I had to compare Spotted Redshank with an American shorebird it would be with Greater Yellowlegs - though I agree its more needle-like bill invites comparson with Lesserlegs.

Must say Larry's bird does sound awfully like a Redshank, but what categorically eliminates a non-breeding male Ruff with a bright bill?

Crap

Larry Lade said:
Erik, as I understand it, there are two species of redshank.

One is the Spotted Redshank (affectionately referred to as Spotshank by some of our members across the pond).

The other is the Common Redshank, a.k.a. simply as Redshank.

The Spotted Redshank has been recorded in the United States (as shown in Sibley's Guide). Sibley has a dot on the map of Kansas, indicating there has been a sighting there. Sibley does NOTinclude the Common Redshank as a species that has occurred in the United States.

Sorry, Im an idiot I didn't pay inuf atention. I guess I was half asleep.

Hi Erik,

I know the feeling! Perhaps, I did see a MEGA, and I "let it slip through my fingers".

Redshank has never been "successfully" reported in North America, except six instances in Newfoundland. So I tried to make the bird a Purple Sandpiper! (It just could not be a Redshank! - Not in the very middle of North America, never has been, never will be.) Oh, maybe it was a Pectoral Sandpiper! No way! I believe I could ID a Pectoral Sandpiper even if it had a purple bill with yellow spots on it! I guess I am being a little sarcastic. I am angry with myself for not just parking on the causeway that day and taking my chances of having a accident or getting in trouble with the law or the military police (as there is also a military installation nearby). I feel I let the bird get away without being able to study it.

Well, I feel a little dumb about the whole thing.

Jason, I believe a non-breeding plumaged male Ruff would be the nearest bird to the non-breeding Redshank. However, there were a few points that I recall of the bird that I saw that would be more consistent with a Redshank than with a Ruff. I did not notice a smallish head or long neck (of course, it was winter and the bird could have been hunched up a bit. Also, I recalled the upper body feathers as being plain brownish, there did not seem to be darker centers in the feathers as there would be on a Ruff. From Hayman's book on shorebirds, it states that the legs of the Ruff are quite variable all the way to orange/red. I do not think that a Ruff would have had that bright of red on the basal half of the bill as was on the bill of the bird I saw. The red on the bill and the red on the legs of the bird I saw was of the same hue and brightness.

In favor of the Ruff is the fact that they ARE SEEN occasionally in the US, whereas the Redshank has NOT been seen. (They have been reported, but none of the reports that I know of have been accepted).

A report of a Redshank seen in Missouri would be met with much resistance and perhaps not a little derision! Sort of like a person reporting an Ivory-billed Woodpecker or "big foot"!

Thank you for your reply.

I wish to thank all of you for offering your thoughts on this somewhat belated incident of a bird seen only briefly by a birder from Missouri who would have liked to have gotten a better, longer look. I feel better about having discussed it.

I've never seen any wader other than Spot Red with the luminous orange-red legs of a Redshank. Ruff rarely get past orangle-ish

This doesn't discount Ruff, but isn't redshank a lot bigger than either purple or pectoral sandpipers, both of which are similar to dunlin (in ballpark terms)? Larry says his bird was bigger than a Killdeer - that means it was bigger than purple or pec also doesn't it?

Just for amusement take a look at the attached. Its been bothering me ever since I noticed the bird with an apparent red bill base in this pic. Its the very pale bird with an obvious super surrounded by Knot and Dunlin.

I have no idea what it is... it doesn't look anything like a Redshank.. and its also very strange for Knot!

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 171
Larry Lade said:
Trevor, what did Peterson have to say about Redshank in Newfoundland?

Nothing really,Larry...there is a page in the Eastern Guide,5th Ed,with 'Accidental Shorebirds From Eurasia' along with 'sample locations'

Common Redshank is pictured with the annotation Nfld.

From everything that has been said,Redshank seems by far the most likely candidate...although that's little consolation now ;)

Hi Larry,

Firstly, having read all the posts, in my opinion all talk of sandpipers like purple and pectoral for instance can be thrown out the window! If this bird was noticeably bigger than a Kildeer, then I reckon you did have a Redshank or Ruff on that day! Spotted redshank is quite distinctive as it's bill is needle-like and long. A good super should also have been visible if it were one and the bird should have appeared quite greyish/whiteish if it was an adult in winter plumage. The bird you saw sounds nothing like a Spotted redshank and very like a Common redshank (Common here anyway).

As i said, in my opinion, the only waders that spring to mind resembling what you describe are Redshank and Ruff. However, having seen many Ruff, I can't say I've seen any with RED legs. Ruff are notoriously variable regarding size and plumage variances but in my experience, any bright colours on bill and legs are almost always orange. This would lead me to conclude you saw a Redshank.

The thing that bothers me is you seem to be dismissing this possibility too easily, just because it shouldn't be there!! This is what rarity finding is all about. 9 times out of 10, you know when you clap eyes on a rarity that it is one. You just need the confidence and conviction to convince yourself and stop letting the doubt creep in. it happens to us all.

Still, I'm not saying you definitely saw a Redshank but it sure sounds like it!

Regards,

M Cowming said:
Firstly, having read all the posts, in my opinion all talk of sandpipers like purple and pectoral for instance can be thrown out the window! If this bird was noticeably bigger than a Kildeer, then I reckon you did have a Redshank or Ruff on that day!

Are you sure you read ALL the posts, M.?? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back