• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Wader (Shorebird) (2 Viewers)

Grousemore said:
Nothing really,Larry...there is a page in the Eastern Guide,5th Ed,with 'Accidental Shorebirds From Eurasia' along with 'sample locations'

Common Redshank is pictured with the annotation Nfld.

From everything that has been said,Redshank seems by far the most likely candidate...although that's little consolation now ;)
Trevor,

I just checked my Peterson Eastern Guide, 4th edition. On page 294, "ACCIDENTALS FOR EURASIA, Shorebirds, etc.", it states that there have been sight records for Redshank, Tringa totanus, N.S., R.I.

That would be Nova Scotia and Rhode Island! That appears to have been amended in the 5th edition which you referred to.

Immediately below this entry is one for Spotted Redshank, Tringa erythropus, recorded Ont., Nfld., Conn, R.I., Pa.

(* I was looking for somemore info on Redshank because of this recent thread "please id this bird..." in which various people were giving their IDs, Greenshank, Redshank, Greater Yellowlegs, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, etc.)

I realize that four (4) years have passed since the last post on this thread, but I happened to run across some photos of winter plumaged Common Redshank while looking at BirdGuides here.

The above photo reminds me an awful lot of the bird I saw. It is almost as if I could have taken this photo of the bird I saw back then! This photo is what I have in "my mind's eye" when I think back on the cold January day over at the Saint Joseph Airport.

I am pretty certain now that what I saw that day was indeed a Common Redshank!

It is too bad that this will never be accepted because of, 1. single observer, 2. no specimen collected, 3. no photograph obtained, 4. such a short look at the bird, etc. etc.

Interesting. I brought it up because there was a false alarm sent up over a yellowlegs at Brigantine in NJ once. It had apparently taken a dip in an oil spill. I'm not sure what the causes were exactly (either slightly abnoraml pigmentation or reddish light) but the bare parts seemed too orange for anything else but a redshank species.

It's a longshot, but could the light have done anything to affect bare parts color?

I am not sure about what birds you do and do not get in the US but here in south africa a common ID mistake is to confuse ruff/reeve with particularly orange/red bill base and legs with Common Redshank....
It is quite a common mistake made by many birders, particularly with those that have not seen a common redshank.

I am not sure what "time of day" has to do with the bird being a yellowlegs, ruff, redshank or something else.

I have been looking at some more photos on BirdGuides Picture Gallery of Ruffs and Common Redshanks. I did find a photo of a winter plumaged Ruff that was similar to the bird I remember seeing at the airport (Ruff at Humberston Fitties, Lincs, 19/09/08 (uploaded 19/09/08) by Zoe Shreeve) here . However, my bird appeared plain brown above (the scapulars, secondaries/primaries were not fringed white/off white), white below with some brownish smudgging on the breast. It did not have the white feathering on the "fore face" (for lack of a better term). The main similarity I saw between this photo of a winter plumaged Ruff and a winter plumaged Redshank is the red & black bicolored bill and the reddish legs/feet. The bird I saw had very reddish coloration on the basal half of the bill, legs and feet, more vivid than I am seeing on any Ruff photos. My bird also appeared to be "chunkier" than a Ruff and "larger headed".

Well what I was going for would be reddish light saturating the colors. But again, that would light up the rest of the bird too. I couldn't find any photos to demonstrate it so perhaps it early morning or late afternoon light doesn't have much of an effect. Longshot, I told ya. ;)

Ruff is a typical rare shorebird throughout the country in spring and fall, but winter records come solely from California and Oregon. That seems just a little bit more likely than Common Redshank!

I am not sure, but for me as a European birder, it is rather peculiar a US birder would go to this or that particular photograph at Birdguides to identify a commonly photographed bird with. One can immagine the resemblance with Purple Sanpiper in that picture and if the red has been that prominent in Larry's bird, good chances, he has seen a good Redshank.

I am not sure, but for me as a European birder, . One can immagine the resemblance with Purple Sanpiper in that picture and if the red has been that prominent in Larry's bird, good chances, he has seen a good Redshank.

I do not quite understand why "it is rather peculiar a US birder would go to this or that particular photograph at Birdguides to identify a commonly photographed bird with"? I suppose I am missing some meaning here?

And, I do realize that a Ruff, while rare here in Missouri (I have seen a Ruff on two occasions here in Missouri, one was photographed, documented and accepted by the Missouri Birds Record Committee) to be more likely to be here than a Redshank. However, I do think that the bird I saw was a winter plumaged Redshank.

As for the very red bill, legs and feet there was nothing in the surrounding area that could have given the bird that bright color. It was that bright color which first attracted me to the bird. I then did a quick comparison to the Killdeer which was right beside the bird in question. I then noticed some of the other characteristics which I have allluded to.

I meant to say that there are many other photographs of Redshank to be found. I reasoned in the way that if especially this picture recalled your bird, you may well have seen the bird detailed enough to discriminate within Redshanks. Since you mentioned some resemblance with Purple Sandpiper, it again, can easily be understood why you bring up this picture. Even less so the Ruff.
I just imagined the approach of European birders with abberant look alikes concerning Asian and North american species.
Nice to see you as our reflection in this case.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back