• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (5 Viewers)

Also white but on the belly, with a big ring on the breast:
#9609 Ringed Storm Petrel (aka Hornby's).
1711457140458.png

I just checked the list, and have 40 to add. Many even with pictures! But I have seriously big holes (as in: several families / genus I haven't seen a single member, even if including all species already mentioned...)

Last edited:
Also white but on the belly, with a big ring on the breast:
#9609 Ringed Storm Petrel (aka Hornby's).

I just checked the list, and have 40 to add. Many even with pictures! But I have seriously big holes (as in: several families / genus I haven't seen a single member, even if including all species already mentioned...)
That's great, then we can keep the thread going! Ringed was my last storm-petrel on the list, but I can add another ringed bird:
#9610 Ring-necked Francolin

And that was my last pheasant on the list (and a fantastic one)! I saw it in NE India were we also had another charismatic species:
#9612 Sikkim Wedge-billed Babbler
#9613 Chestnut-breasted Partridge, and that's the last partridge I could add... No picture.
It's a NE India / Bhutan / Sikkim affair so nicely in line with the previous 2 birds.

ps: apologies for 'taking' two of your species, but I reckon you have plenty more!

Last edited:
#9613 Chestnut-breasted Partridge, and that's the last partridge I could add... No picture.
It's a NE India / Bhutan / Sikkim affair so nicely in line with the previous 2 birds.
That was our one big dip on the trip! Another, perhaps less exciting bird, form the same region:
#9614 Hume's Bush Warbler

That's a bird I had as well, and as I don't have any other cettia warblers (Palau, Tanimbar), I randomly move to another bird with an eponym in it's name:
#9615: Bonaparte's Parakeet.

1711459705095.png

That's a very colorful bird, and it has a red-front, so I'll go with
#9617 Rufous-fronted Antthrush (no picture)

I was left alone at a riverbank with fresh Jaguar pugmarks, still decided to go in the woods for that one...!
With the Antthrush, no more Antthrushes left!

That's a very colorful bird, and it has a red-front, so I'll go with
#9617 Rufous-fronted Antthrush (no picture)

I was left alone at a riverbank with fresh Jaguar pugmarks, still decided to go in the woods for that one...!
With the Antthrush, no more Antthrushes left!
A pretty close relative with rufous in it:
#9618 Rufous-breasted Antpitta

A pretty close relative with rufous in it:
#9618 Rufous-breasted Antpitta

Wow... Another one that I have seen. Another Peruvian species from close by that I saw on the same trip... At least as good a link as 9616 to 9617. This one is rufous-capped...

9619. Apurimac Brushfinch

Pics of both Leymebamba Antpitta & Apurimac Brushfinch added. Almost identical. The brushfinch is longer tailed... :)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20240326_182428.jpg
    20240326_182428.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Leymebamba Antpitta 001.jpg
    Leymebamba Antpitta 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Ooohhh. And another. Another species with variable amounts of rufous & another island species with limited distribution...

9621. Cape Verde Buzzard Santo Antao, Cape Verde

(I have 6 species potentially to play.)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20240326_184451.jpg
    20240326_184451.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I currently lake the imagination to link to any of my six save for the insanely tenuous.... Thinking boots on.

Haha. Every time I've looked at the thread I've been struggling to link my last 2 species. But here goes...

Papuan Eagle is a large, secretive forest bird, named after a large island on the west of the Pacific and listed as Vulnerable by IUCN. All this is also true for:
#9623 Japanese Night Heron

Haha. Every time I've looked at the thread I've been struggling to link my last 2 species. But here goes...

Papuan Eagle is a large, secretive forest bird, named after a large island on the west of the Pacific and listed as Vulnerable by IUCN. All this is also true for:
#9623 Japanese Night Heron
If you accept that large is relative, all the above is also true for:
#9624 Makira Owl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back