• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (8 Viewers)

You can wait for ever...

Another species named after the colour on its head with its scientific name referring to that colour is...

9627 Cerulean-capped Manakin Peru

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20240326_185601.jpg
    20240326_185601.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Another dark songbird named after the blue on its head, this one from India:
#9628 Blue-fronted Robin

An Asian chat named after its blue colouration. Well that has to cover...

9629. Large Blue Flycatcher Thailand

(Mine was a female. So actually brown and more helpful for connections I suspect. I'll upload a pic on my return home.)

I relied on a "grown up" for identification... The fourth pic looks like we clicked at the same time.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Large Blue Flycatcher 001.jpg
    Large Blue Flycatcher 001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
An easy link this time. Nimba Flycatcher is Melaenornis ANNAMarulae and Annam Limestone Babbler is a recent split from the Limestone Babbler complex that also includes....

9631. Variable Limestone Babbler Thailand

Not a stretch at all and a species that would have immediately come to mind as linked. 😀

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Variable Limestone Babbler 001.jpg
    Variable Limestone Babbler 001.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 2
An easy link this time. Nimba Flycatcher is Melaenornis ANNAMarulae and Annam Limestone Babbler is a recent split from the Limestone Babbler complex that also includes....

9631. Variable Limestone Babbler Thailand

Not a stretch at all and a species that would have immediately come to mind as linked. 😀

All the best

Paul
No, not a stretch att all 🙃
I'll do the relatedness connection again, from one babbler to another - also going back to Africa (Rwanda) again for one of my favourite babblers:
#9632 Red-collared Babbler

Think of another bird with red on its rump & vent. Well the most obvious one is an endemic from Peru living up a mountain obviously...

9635. Vilcabamba Tapaculo Peru

I'll get my coat before the Rules Police arrive...... :) Two to go I think but I'll probably need a drink to link to either!

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Vilcabamba Tapaculo 002.jpg
    Vilcabamba Tapaculo 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Vilcabamba Tapaculo 001.jpg
    Vilcabamba Tapaculo 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I recently saw someone link Dusky Crimsonwing to a Tapaculo which I thought was outrageous but hey when in Rome.... As a result, it must work. :)

9637. Diademed Tapaculo Peru

I wanted to link to Dusky Clearwing but then realised that the game would be never-ending.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Diademed Tapaculo 001.jpg
    Diademed Tapaculo 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Dusky Clearwing A.jpg
    Dusky Clearwing A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
A brown montane species with a restricted range I hear you say. Hmm surely that's not enough. It would have to be named after the shape of part of its body. If not the length of its wings, maybe the shape of its tail. Only one species that springs to mind surely...

9639. Vilcabamba Thistletail Peru

(Afternoon drinking is bad for you. Don't do it kids! I believe that I am out and all who love this game will be relieved. I will check. :) )

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Vilcabamba Thistletail 001.jpg
    Vilcabamba Thistletail 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
A brown montane species with a restricted range I hear you say. Hmm surely that's not enough. It would have to be named after the shape of part of its body. If not the length of its wings, maybe the shape of its tail. Only one species that springs to mind surely...

9639. Vilcabamba Thistletail Peru

(Afternoon drinking is bad for you. Don't do it kids! I believe that I am out and all who love this game will be relieved. I will check. :) )
So, I can give you a range restricted, brown species named after a body-part (and also its geographical distribution):
#9640 Rennell Shrikebill

1711561333598-png.1567860

(Hope you find some more species, its such a fun game. Maybe more splits coming!)

"Alexa, please give me the name of a range restricted brown bird species named after a body part and also its geographical distribution."

"Acrocephalus brevipennis is a bird restricted to the Cape Verde islands, it is a brown bird and its scientific name means short-winged. Its vernacular name refers to its distribution."

"Alexa, that is a result as it is the only one I had left."

9641. Cape Verde Warbler (or Cape Verde Cane Warbler or Cape Verde Swamp Warbler)

:)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Cape Verde - Cape Verde Cane Warbler.JPG
    Cape Verde - Cape Verde Cane Warbler.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 1
"Alexa, please give me the name of a range restricted brown bird species named after a body part and also its geographical distribution."

"Acrocephalus brevipennis is a bird restricted to the Cape Verde islands, it is a brown bird and its scientific name means short-winged. Its vernacular name refers to its distribution."

"Alexa, that is a result as it is the only one I had left."

9641. Cape Verde Warbler
Want another range restricted brown bird species named after a body part and also its geographical distribution? Sure!:
#9642 Guadalcanal Fantail

I didn't have time but I saw so many 'easy' links that flew past (a Parrotfinch, a Tapaculo, a babbler,...).
I've got nothing that rhymes with Guadalcanal or looks like a fantail, so I'll wait patiently...

I recently saw someone link Dusky Crimsonwing to a Tapaculo which I thought was outrageous but hey when in Rome.... As a result, it must work. :)

9637. Diademed Tapaculo Peru

I wanted to link to Dusky Clearwing but then realised that the game would be never-ending.

All the best

Paul
Glad you posted that as I saw 'Large Blue' posted a day or two ago and thought someone really should have made a butterfly link at the time. Any invertebrate a day later is good ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back