• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nature's Home, Educational or advert overload? (1 Viewer)

You are doing well to find 50% of it of interest. I think I would be more like 10% for me.

The issue that came yesterday seems to have even more advertising than usual (yes, I do know that it makes the magazine free to produce), and less actual content of any real interest to birders. But I suppose it is no longer aimed at birders, if it ever was.

The 'editorial' mentions that the next edition will be in a different vein - but it will it be better or worse? I use 'editorial' loosely as the last editor I can remember, Mark Ward, was actually a birder whereas now it is written by three 'Supporter Communications' people. I was surprised to see that there is a Head of Supporter Communications, an Acting Head of Supporter Communications, and a Supporter Communications Manager.

One of the main articles, covering rewilding, prolongs the almost certain myth that White Storks used to be part of the UK avifauna so I was not particularly enthused to read it very carefully.

I love modern job titles. They reflect the inability in the modern world to express ideas in a short clear and plain way. The titles themselves are proof that the person in charge of the Head of Supporter Communications presumably the Hat of the Head of Supporter Communications is not as good at their job as they should be....

The attachment is the case for White Stork being a native species as summed up by Ben Macdonald in Rebirding. I am yet to tackle the book properly but am more and more convinced that it has to be the way forward whilst at the same time we need to stop the continuing destruction of the minimal habitat left. If sticking a white stork on my chimney would help that, I'm in regardless of my personal feelings about both introductions and reintroductions...

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20220411_180957~2.jpg
    20220411_180957~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Slightly off topic, but still a slight on the RSPB and their ability to appeal to birders and their associates...I recently made and erected a Starling box, based on the RSPB website plans, their suggestion is that it would take 5-6 hours! who (especially if you're new to this sort of thing) is going to invest that time into making a bird nestbox? when in reality the whole building and erecting took me less than an hour.

I was puzzled by this as well. It's a two page advertising spread for an RSPB book with a free plug for the landowner, United Utilities.
There's a picture of a reservoir, with what appears to be a long-established oak woodland. The old heather in the foreground might be a clue that grazing pressure has been reduced at its margins, but there's no evidence of any natural regeneration upslope in the picture, which I thought was what it was trying to illustrate. And the tightly grazed fell in the background purporting to show how 'different approaches to land management can coexist' seems to demonstrate the opposite...
Hello. Do you think you could send me a photo of the advert please? Thanks

Of course if one is dissatisfied with the magazine you can always swap to a digital copy to save paper (and RSPB production costs) and then just delete the email.

I had no idea entry to Bempton was £6. There is a public right of way along the cliffs, not sure about from the carpark to the cliff path though.

A £6 parking charge for non-members would be more appropriate.
There shouldnt an admission charge for either for Bempton Cliffs or Titchwell Marsh, unless there is a
sign saying it is a public footpath and you don’t have to pay the entrance charge to Bempton Cliffs or Titchwell Marsh. The National Trust got in to difficulty over a similar situation with the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland and where threatened with legal action and the National Trust where going to defend themselves, but the National Trust where told that the legal action been taken against them had a good of winning the case and the National Trust had to admit defeat over that and now mentioned on the entrance sign that there is a public footpath down to the Giants Causeway free of charge. If a similar situation happened with Bempton Cliffs and Titchwell Marsh it would be interesting legally. There was a car park charge for both Bempton Cliffs and Titchwell Marsh for non-members for a large number of years.. But an admission charge now, per-person for non-members along a public footpath at those two RSPB reserves, unless mentioned on the entrance sign that both paths are public footpaths and dogs as well on leads are allowed on public footpaths as well! Right or Wrong legally?

Last edited:
A
There are plenty of better magazines, from Birding World (yes I know it's an ex-magazine) to Hello.

John
I have a subscription to the British Birds Journal. Also my yearly subscription I can now access every monthly Britush Birds Journal online to the very first edition of the British Birds Hotrnal

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back