• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some ID help in US (1 Viewer)

Hillypop

United States
Good morning, I live in upstate New York and for the past month almost every night a bird that I can't identify has been roosting on a column under my porch. A couple of years ago I placed rocks on the column to keep the robins from nesting there, but this guy just spends the night, no nesting and unseen during the daytime.My pictures are not the best due it being night and I only get so close before he/she gets uncomfortable and fly's off to return later in the night. We more than welcome its company as we sit on the porch more now it is warmer out. The best look a like that I can come up is Black Throated Sparrow, but I realize WAY out of their home territory in the southwestern deserts?? Any ideas???

Attachments

• 0613222127.jpg
    0613222127.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 0612222120b.jpg
    0612222120b.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 0611222059a.jpg
    0611222059a.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0613222128.jpg
    0613222128.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 27
Yup! A House sparrow!

Hi there Hillypop and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Thank you!!! Funny, I never see them around here in the day. Do you think it's the same guy every night or is my porch just a popular spot for the first one that shows up every night?

Thank you!!! Funny, I never see them around here in the day. Do you think it's the same guy every night or is my porch just a popular spot for the first one that shows up every night?

It could be the same bird each night, returning to its spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back