• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Needletail in Mongolia? (2 Viewers)

Liebzi

Hi,

I had this birds migrating east in west Mongolia around Khovd for 4 years ago in September. It was flying extremly fast and direct, and pretty far away (1-2km?). First seen in scope, before shooting a few distant shots. This was what I got before it disapeared. I felt myself that it was a Needletail, but after talking with biders from around Khovd, I started doubting the observation. It's not very common there, which made me delete the observation. Now a few years later this bird is til hunting me, which is making me give it a shot in here.

Is it possible to exclude species like Merlin on these photos. I feel that the postere of the bird is wrong giving me needletail feeling. Also I feel I can see pale back and whitish throat/underump, but not quite sure if that is because of the picture quality. I have made a collage of the best photos of it, let me know if you want them in singles instead.

Cheers,

Anton

Attachments

• needletail.jpg
    needletail.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 139
I've never seen a needletail, so you need to take this with the appropriate amount of salt - but the top row of photos, and the bottom left, give me the impression of something much more like a hobby or similar small falcon (Amur etc) - which at a distance could easily look like a large swift.

Not identifiable IMHO, apart from Merlin, I couldn't even exclude any of the Pratincoles were they to be in range.

Not identifiable on these images. If the originals are anywhere close to this quality, I doubt it could be assigned to species.

2nd winter female, definitely ;)
I'll reword the question in case anyone helpful happens to be passing through this thread.... :unsure:;)

Having never seen any Pratincole species (I quite probably never will), I wondered if a distant Pratincole species MIGHT look like the bird in the pictures. The apparent pale underwing in the 4th pic would seem to rule it out - though I'm not certain it is actually pale, but the last photo has a paler looking fuzzy area where the rump should be, and there are hints of possible other pro-Pratincole features in some of the other photos when zoomed in. I'm not getting a falcon feel from any of the photos - and I take a lot of photos of distant specks that are often raptors. (Oriental Pratincole only warranted a mention as it was the only Pratincole species showing in Mongolia on the range maps that I looked at). I agree that the bird photographed is likely unidentifiable but if it definitely can't be a Pratincole species, then I'd be interested in knowing how/why it can be completely ruled out.

I'll reword the question in case anyone helpful happens to be passing through this thread.... :unsure:;)

Having never seen any Pratincole species (I quite probably never will), I wondered if a distant Pratincole species MIGHT look like the bird in the pictures. The apparent pale underwing in the 4th pic would seem to rule it out - though I'm not certain it is actually pale, but the last photo has a paler looking fuzzy area where the rump should be, and there are hints of possible other pro-Pratincole features in some of the other photos when zoomed in. I'm not getting a falcon feel from any of the photos - and I take a lot of photos of distant specks that are often raptors. (Oriental Pratincole only warranted a mention as it was the only Pratincole species showing in Mongolia on the range maps that I looked at). I agree that the bird photographed is likely unidentifiable but if it definitely can't be a Pratincole species, then I'd be interested in knowing how/why it can be completely ruled out.
Yes, hence my comment above but I also think your comment on the underwing is a valid observation.

Yes, hence my comment above but I also think your comment on the underwing is a valid observation.
Andy, I've got you on 'ignore' (along with a few others) as I prefer not to read some of your opinions on subjects other than birds (or planes), so I hadn't actually seen your post previously but thanks for the response to my query.

Ouch, my humble apologies for my unhelpful response! :)

Ouch, my humble apologies for my unhelpful response! :)
No apology necessary, Richard. If I'd seen Andy's post last night I wouldn't have even asked the question (as in effect he'd already suggested Pratincole as being possible), but as there's no levels to the 'ignore' button (needs a "don't ignore 'just birds' posts" option), I didn't even see that he'd made a post until I got the notification he'd responded tonight and by viewing that it showed his earlier post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back