• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Blue Tits (1 Viewer)

Hi, I have a nest box connected to my shed (about 8 foot high), and blue tits are nesting in the box. I first heard babies in there on Monday last week, and have since then heard beautiful chirping of the chicks and the mum and dad blue tits back and forth literally all day long. I can also now see the babies every now and again pop their head up against the hole. My question is, when are they likely to flee the nest? Just I have a cat, and I am keeping him locked inside if one of us is not outside in the garden watching him. I feel so protective of these beautiful little chicks and their mum and dad and want to make sure they make it. DA Waltham Abbey.

Welcome to Birdforum Jessica. If you can hear the chicks and occasionally see them at the entrance hole I would reckon they will fledge in the next few days. Well done for keeping the cat inside, I wish all cat owners would do the same during the breeding season!

Thank you Richard :) I really hope they fledge before Thursday. We go on holiday early Friday morning, and I am worried my neighbour (who is feeding my cat) will accidentally let him out. (My cat is actually a stray that we found sleeping in the garden last year)! Fingers crossed, they will happily flee before Friday morning. I have to say, it's one of the most incredible and beautiful things I have ever seen, and we are lucky to have front row seats in the garden :) . It's my son's bird box that he made in cubs a few years ago. The chicks are so loud, and mum and dad are now able to just perch just outside the hole and pop their heads inside the box to feed their chicks. I will keep you posted.

Hi Jessica and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. As Richard has said it should be any time now that they actually leave the nest; once one goes the rest soon follow suit. Hopefully they'll find their way onto the branches of a shrub or tree out of range of your cat. You can read more about Blue Tits in our Opus article: Eurasian Blue Tit - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how they get on.

Thanks for your email. Yes, there are lots of huge trees that overhang the back of my garden (well out of the reach of my cat). And I'll be sure that he doesn't get any chance to get them. I'll pop a little video on here shortly... I don't have a web cam fitted, only the view from my garden chair :) Simply beautiful :)

Unfortunately I can't upload the video but I have just managed to get some photos of both mum and dad feeding their babies.... both at the box together x

Attachments

• 20220522_165058.jpg
    20220522_165058.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220522_165055.jpg
    20220522_165055.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220522_164918.jpg
    20220522_164918.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
You do get a lovely view of them don't you.

Thanks Jessica.

PS. I'm no good at videos.... don't even know how to get them off my camera LOL. But I think they need to be hosted by a site such as YouTube/Instagram/FB etc. then linked to here using the double picture icon (Media) in the row above the edit pane.

You do get a lovely view of them don't you.

Thanks Jessica.

PS. I'm no good at videos.... don't even know how to get them off my camera LOL. But I think they need to be hosted by a site such as YouTube/Instagram/FB etc. then linked to here using the double picture icon (Media) in the row above the edit pane.
Thank you Delia, yes I really do get a lovely view. Thing is I don't get much done indoors, as I just sit here watching them!!! But I'm not complaining. I will see if my one of my sons can help me upload the video the youtube etc... Thank you for making me feel so welcome. xx

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back