• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Box Camera / Software? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Hi evrybody. Not sure whether this is the right place tp put this post so if not perhaps Mods could move please.
This year I have added a Handycam camera to a Bird Box. I also purchased a Video Grabber - EzCAP which came with the Arcsoft ShowBiz DVD2 software.
I would like to make a DVD at the end of the breeding season made up of short sections of the grabbed video footage.
I am having problems with the Arcsoft software as the extension to the grabbed files is - sbz - None of my dvd editing s/ware will recognise this file extension and I find the Arcsoft very hard to understand.
For instance because only the Arcsoft recognises the sbz extension it means that I have to have the original footage left on my HD in order to view it and the HD is starting to fill up at an alarming rate.
We have had a lot of visits to the box but none started to fetch nesting material yet, Usualy it just a matter they come in the box , have a look round and disappear but the latest one started to flap its wings quite vigorously aginst the bottom of the box, I don't know what that was all about.
My question is - Has any M8 used similar setups or have any ideas on better software than the Arcsoft - Any info would be appreciated. High Regards to one and all. BrianB.

I use iCatcher software to capture the birds in my boxes. It has motion detection software on records when the birds are in the boxes.

You can see my site here http://www.brettoliver.org.uk/Nestbox/nest_box.htm

The cams are Offline now but iCatcher also allows live video streaming. I also use Hauppauge wintv software to record full motion video via a capture card.

There are a few videos on my site including a nest build time lapse filmed with icatcher. Windows comes with Windows Live Movie Maker ( you may have to download it from Microsoft) but it is very good.

You mention a one of the birds flapping it's wings against the bottom of the box. This is the female (Blue Tits or Great Tits) and is a good sign as they do this to compact the nest material against the side of the box. Sounds like they will be nest building soon.

Hi Nobby Many thanks for your response, I look forward to having a look at your site later. Somewhere I have a Hauppage TV Card, a throwback to the days when I was playing about with motorised dishes and worldwide TV. Whether it will fit the new motherboard I have I don't know. Who makes the icatcher? I'll google it and see what comes up.
Thanks also for clearing up what the BT was doing with the flapping wings etc. It's funny that I have 3 boxes in the garden 2 with camera's, A pair of BT have been going in the one without camera now for a few days - How frustrating is that.
Again M8 Thanks for reply, It is much appreciated. High Regards. BrianB.

Sorry I should have put in a link to the iCatcher site. http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/

They are a UK company and very very helpful. I started with icatcher wildlife and now have the icatcher console with 4 cameras.

I have a technical page on my site that shows my set up but please feel free to ask if you get any problems.
Regards.
Brett.

Hi Brett, Again thanks for response, I had found them via Google and applied for a Wildlife trial. Filled in the details they asked for and received the registration details via e-mail, Then it all fell apart. Although I copied and pasted the reg;details into the relevant boxes and also manually entered them I keep getting a box which says the details I am adding are the wrong ones. I have contacted the company via their support desk e-mail but so far no sign of a reply. I have since tried using Cyberlink software and my TMPGEnc dvd making software accepts that so I should be able to do some editing etc. Pity about the i-catcher though, I would have liked to try it out. Again my many thanks my Friend for your responses. High Regards. Brian.

BrianB;1784484Although I copied and pasted the reg;details into the relevant boxes and also manually entered them I keep getting a box which says the details I am adding are the wrong ones.[/QUOTE said:
Are you entering your name exactly as on the registration details?

May be worth a try.

Hi Brett Yes copy and paste all absolutely as it should be. Have uninstalled and re-downloaded and installed and all now seems to be OK.
tHANKS AGAIN, bRIAN.

New member, first time posting, novice garden bird watcher. I hope this is the right thread!

Have installed a nesting box that came complete with camera and sound, down in our woods. We have a nesting bird, we observe the nest from a tv in our garden shed. Unfortunately the bird flees the nest each time we turn the tv on. We are afraid to disturb the bird so she abandons the nest, no eggs yet!, Will she get used to the sound it must be emitting each time it starts or should we be leaving the camera on all the time?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back