• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 7x32 binoculars and 7x42 monocular models from Hawke (1 Viewer)

"Hallelujah, our prayers have been heard" 👋👋👋

Why is it that there are so few 7x30/32 around? I get that 8x and 10x get most of the love, but given that 6x30 and 6.5x32 are not that rare, and many manufacturers have models in different price ranges (from the little inexpensive 6x30 Kowa/Leupold/Opticron/etc. to Maven B3, or the Kowa BD XD II, the new APM 6x30, etc.), I wonder why 7x32 is rare sight. I love my 8x32 EL SV, but a 7x32 at 8,5 - 9º would be epic, same goes for an UVHD 7x32, etc.

I've never seen or used any Hawke, I'm under the impression that they're marketed heavily towards the UK market, and then probably US and rest of the world, so they're not that common around here. By looking at their website I see that Endurance is their 2nd line, the 8x42 has a retail price of 259 GBP, while their top of the line Frontier has in fact several sub-ranges (HDX, EDX, APO) varying from 299 to 649 GBP for the 8x42 model. So I wonder what the performance of this marine Endurance ED would be like.

I haven't found a mention of the FOV (or any other figures, for that matter), but if AFOV is 58º, as stated in the B&H specs, that should be around 8,5º FOV, which sounds very nice for a compact 7x32. Promising!

EDIT:
I've found the following specs on an ebay auction, here.

Specification

Prism TypeRoof (BAK4)
Magnification7x
Objective Lens Diameter32 mm
Angle of View8.3° (Actual)
58° (Apparent)
Minimum Focus Distance6.5' / 2 m
Exit Pupil Diameter4.6 mm
Eye Relief17 mm
Inter-pupillary Adjustment55.9 to 76.2 mm / 2.2 to 3"
Diopter AdjustmentYes
Focus TypeCentre
Fog-proofYes, Nitrogen Filled
Water ResistanceWater Resistant, IP67
Dimensions5.2 x 4.8" / 13.2 x 12.2 cm
Weight19.2 oz / 544 g

So, it all looks ok, it's 8,3º, and a 2 m close focus distance. I wonder what makes it "marine", other than the blue colour and the floating strap.
I would have liked a little more FOV, but it looks interesting. However, we know that specs mean almost nothing compared to trying the binoculars. Hopefully one day :)

Last edited:
A month has gone by, did anyone get to try the 7x32 by any chance?

I usually enjoy the videos of the Northern Optics youtube channel, I like the simple and no-nonsense mini-reviews and presentations of this small shop (I must confess I love his accent!). He recently did a mini review of the 7x32:

Very interesting what he says about the close focus, CA and image quality. It sounds very promising.

I've never used the Hawke series of binoculars, I understand they're a brand that usually offers good value. But this being the Endurance range I don't know what are they similar to in terms of optical performance. Can anyone who has tried them compare them to other brands... is it like the Monarch 5? or maybe the Vortex Diamondback?

Aw bless you Yarrellii for liking my accent. Yes I am the guy who did that review. Just this week had a customer buy a set from us after seeing my review + I am driving to deliver another set in person today (That`s the service you get from the smaller shops) . Like to keep my reviews honest and no nonsense. Even picking any plus and minus points, even if its a product we sell.
We get lots of customers after seeing our videos. OK many are not from the UK (we are UK postage only), and others would rather buy from elsewhere after seeing my vids. But hey, as the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink"

I am tempted by the 7x32's. I admit a fondness for 7x. However, I have 2 pairs of 8x32 and a 7x28. Is there a compelling reason to get one of these, other then addiction?

@beacon hill Hi! I didn't know you were here too. I love your down-to-earth reviews of affordable and no-nonsense optics. I think they're a breath of fresh air. I've seen dozens of them, and it's a gentle, understated and calm style that I really appreciate. Keep up the good job. I live in Spain, by my sister in law lives in Sheffield, and I've "used her" several times to get me optics that don't ship overseas. I have a number of 7x35 and 8x32, but probably my next purchase will be the little 7x32 once I sell of my surplus!! No doubt I'll be buying from you should the opportunity arrive. Thanks again for your great posts.

I am tempted by the 7x32's. I admit a fondness for 7x. However, I have 2 pairs of 8x32 and a 7x28. Is there a compelling reason to get one of these, other then addiction?

Cest,

A compelling reason, no. But as Yarellii points out there is a reason if you are inclined. Since you like 7x (count me in too) you might find the full sized Hawke a useful and enjoyable compliment to your compact Maven 7x28 which I own along with several other 7s as well. The Maven is a nice bin but does have a very narrow AFOV of 45.5 even though it has a reasonable real FOV of 341' or 6.5 degrees. At 8.3 degrees FOV the Hawke has much wider FOV and wider AFOV at 58 degrees and thus should deliver a much more immersive and enjoyable view than the Maven. I would be tempted by the Hawke 7x32 if I didn't already have a nice example of the Celestron Granite 7x33.

Mike

Last edited:
I just received the Hawke Endurance 7x32 ED. Initial impressions are very favorable. Good build quality, no defects noticeable, nice case and straps, not too heavy, the collimation seems fine. Did a quick daytime test and wow they are sharp with very little fall off on the edges. The glass is clear with pleasing views. The fov is quite good as is the eye relief. Focusing is smooth. I think it is as good or better then any 8x32 I've looked through. The only negatives were the objective eye covers were tricky to put back on and there is no easy carry pouch. I wanted a 7x to further reduce the shake and this one fits the bill. I am pleased so far.

There's a review in Best Binocular Reviews and it's pretty favorable.

Note that the "length"/"height" is only 4.8 inches, and it's the width that's 5.2 inches, a very unusual position in a roof-prism bino.

They (BBR) also have a video on YouTube, which is less informative. Near the beginning they say, "If you have a yacht..." and I thought, just the thing for me, but later they say, "If you have a small yacht", so I lost interest :) (They actually say that.)

Seriously, very interested in this. Looking forward to more reviews here in BF. Attractive to me because in a boat (different kind!) I would not mind (that much) a less costly bino being splashed by, dunked in, or falling into seawater, and a yellow flotation strap, tested in that review, is standard. The price in the UK goes at least as low as 219 GBP.

I had a chance to try these out in the shop and was not overly impressed. The floor model was pretty badly out of collimation which is not a great first impression on build quality. The replacement they brought out was fine but not particularly sharp with a relatively small sweet spot and pretty high CA for a modern ED design with only 7x magnification.

I have also tried these briefly, my impression was the view is nice enough, maybe the sweet spot was smaller than I expected also, but the one thing that detracted me overall was the build quality, I would rather they had brought out a 7x in a model in a level or two up in their range, they didn’t feel as nice as my 7x36 Zen-Rays in hand build wise.

I came away untempted, but if they did a 7x Frontier model I’d probably look again! But saying all that with the 7x options available it is a nice bin, and if I didn’t already have a backup 7x to my main 7x I’d have been waaaay more tempted to look closer at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back