• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (2 Viewers)

Here's a few.

Mono,

Useful links. Thanks. I might try one with my ED50 if I can get one in the uk. However, other birders might be upset by something that looks a bit too much like an AK47 :). It's one way to get a hide to myself I suppose !

Mono,

Useful links. Thanks. I might try one with my ED50 if I can get one in the uk. However, other birders might be upset by something that looks a bit too much like an AK47 :). It's one way to get a hide to myself I suppose !

Here's a few.

You could also try making one of these :

Shoulder Stock for Nikon ED50 Angled Spotting Scope

Or even one of these !!!!!
Bino-Frame-pivoting_341.jpg

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-equipment/image-stabilize-your-binoculars/

I used the Bush Hawk shoulder pod with an ED50 and it worked fairly well. I found it most useful in a vehicle, much quicker to access than a window clamp, and could be used for any window.

Nice scope, very sleek design, impressive wide-angle eyepiece specs (AFOV 57-71°).

Maybe 1 kg is a bit too much as a backup-scope.

Not completely convinced on the helical focuser, even though Swaro has a very smart solution in the extra bottom plate.

And how useful will this be without a tripod or monopod? (as shown in the marketing...)

Just had 24 hours with my new ATC scope. I had previously owned two larger Swarovski scopes which spent. a lot of time at home because of size unless they were going to be really needed. This new compact scope is a real game change - I had been concerned about the stability when hand-holding but immediately I found that it is so well designed and balanced that this is not an issue. Need that extra magnification beyond the range of binoculars and this is already hanging from your shoulders ... brilliant concept and it is small enough to be taken out daily without worrying over size. Oh, and the optics are great too but that's no surprise from this company.

The Doerr Danubia appears to be the same as the Celestron LandScout 10-30x50, on sale from Amazon at £75.99, substantially cheaper than $139.

RB
Thanks, I think….
only noticed it on the webs link - sounds like a good little ‘scope for not much dosh, doesn’t it

S&S Archery has a new video with some comparison of Kowa & Swaro scopes including the new STC. Sounds like they're a bit disappointed, compared to the Kowa 554, the STC wins in ease of use due to ER & FOV, but optically the 554 is a bit better. They also seem pretty thrilled with the copy of the ATS 65 they have.

S&S Archery has a new video with some comparison of Kowa & Swaro scopes including the new STC. Sounds like they're a bit disappointed, compared to the Kowa 554, the STC wins in ease of use due to ER & FOV, but optically the 554 is a bit better. They also seem pretty thrilled with the copy of the ATS 65 they have.

Apart from the comment on twilight resolution, where human eyesight is going to be the limiting factor, that was a very competent review.

John

Our first impression of the new ATC telescope is published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. We hope to get the telescope again as well as the CTC version to investigate both .
Gijs van Ginkel

@Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for the report. I note you measure the Swaro's objective lens diameter at 50.9mm.

Swarovski bumph refers to an "Effective" objective lens diameter of 56mm.

Apols if I'm missing something but can anyone advise on this apparent discrepancy?

Last edited:
Pop a torch down the eye end and measure what comes out the front… it would be somewhat misleading to quote an incorrect number…. Something that cheap large binocular makers have been known to do…. Internally baffling down the effective aperture….

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back