• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

I'm not a big fan of 10x, but if the choice were between the EL 10x42 and the EL 10x50, I would definitely get the latter! :t:

I do agree that our dear Sanjay should stop procrastinating and go out and buy! ;)

HN
I was at at Cabella's today in Thornton,CO. So I decided to look at the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I had the salesman pullout a Swarovski 8x32 SV to compare it to. ANNNNNNNNND it surprised me but the 10x50 SV is amazing. Comparing them back to back was like comparing the 8x25 CL-P Swarovski to the 8x32 SV. The big 50mm has easier eye placement and I could read detail easier with the 10x magnification. Although the SV 10x50 looked HUGE next to the SV 8x32 once it was in your hands it didn't feel that heavy. I GET it now. The SV 8x32 feels like a compact in performance compared to the it's big brother. I guess as they say aperture rules even in birding binoculars. I would say if you can carry the weight and the SV 10x50 is not too bad it will give you the ultimate view.

I was at at Cabella's today in Thornton,CO. So I decided to look at the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I had the salesman pullout a Swarovski 8x32 SV to compare it to. ANNNNNNNNND it surprised me but the 10x50 SV is amazing. Comparing them back to back was like comparing the 8x25 CL-P Swarovski to the 8x32 SV. The big 50mm has easier eye placement and I could read detail easier with the 10x magnification. Although the SV 10x50 looked HUGE next to the SV 8x32 once it was in your hands it didn't feel that heavy. I GET it now. The SV 8x32 feels like a compact in performance compared to the it's big brother. I guess as they say aperture rules even in birding binoculars. I would say if you can carry the weight and the SV 10x50 is not too bad it will give you the ultimate view.

Interesting! I will ask from Swarovski if I could try this for few months. So far I'm liking my combo of 8x32 and 10x42 SV :king:

Thanks, would have been better if it would have been between 10*42 vs. 10*50.

sanjay

I'm not a big fan of 10x, but if the choice were between the EL 10x42 and the EL 10x50, I would definitely get the latter! :t:

I do agree that our dear Sanjay should stop procrastinating and go out and buy! ;)

HN

Thanks. If I remember you bought one 10*50 SV and then later on returned because of ergonomics. I am not sure if this is True.

I have my friend visiting Hamburg and I have asked him to visit dealer and try 10*50 SV, 10*42 SLC and 10*42 EL. He liked 10*50 SV the most.

regards

Sanjay

I have compared the EL 10X50 directly against the EL 10X42 for over 3 hours in total on 3 occasions at Lakeside Optics, where you can compare the binoculars outside for as long as you need to. Since then I have compared the 10X50 against the 10X42 in a hide while bird watching across water because someone using 10X42 wanted to compare them. (He was stunned by the 10X50 and preferred them to his 10X42 and this in very clear light). I have also compared the EL 10X50 against the EL 10X42 over the period between early evening and total darkness at my own home by borrowing a friend's 10X42. Let me assure you that the 10X50 is a better bino than the 10X42 and I have put my money where my mouth is.

All your friend has done is to confirm what you already knew and what many people on this forum have already said.

The only possible issues are the weight (158 gms extra) and the the price (in my case £1,899 versus £1,785 before the current discounts on the "old" range. I paid £1,780 for the EL 10X50 after the discount). You have to decide how important these 2 factors are while balancing them against an improved performance.

Sanjay. To be totally honest, you need to try both sets yourself and look at alternatives such as the Zeiss Victory SF. You can listen to people like me or your friend visiting Hamburg but I think that's is unwise to buy any set of binos without trying them yourself. In this thread, you only have to read HighNorth's comments on July 20th to see what I mean:

"I got the Swarovski EL SV 10x50 that I ordered last Friday, and I have had good use of it over the weekend.

I have to say that it is a magnificent binocular, but unfortunately, not for me personally...

I did not get along with the ergonomics of the bin, especially the large tumb indents (that seem dimentioned for a Yeti!), and it wasn't as easy to hold and focus as my 8x42 SF. Optically, the SF also seemed a little bit brighter, and had a bit better CA correction to my eyes. AFOV seemed about equal. Glare restistance was about the same. Build quality is of course better on the Swaro....

Although I can see why many people like this bin (and rightly so), I just don't think it is enough of an improvement on my SF to justify the investment.

Basically, it's just a bigger, brighter version of my 8x32 SV EL with better glare resistance and a bit more shake...

This bin will be going back to the dealer for a refund".

If you cannot test the EL 10X50 against the EL 10X42 and other competitors then, in my opinion, take a punt on the 10X50.

Good luck with your continuing deliberations.

Rolstone

Last edited:

"He Likes it, Mikie Likes It"! B :)

Sanjay

I have compared the EL 10X50 directly against the EL 10X42 for over 3 hours in total on 3 occasions at Lakeside Optics, where you can compare the binoculars outside for as long as you need to. Since then I have compared the 10X50 against the 10X42 in a hide while bird watching across water because someone using 10X42 wanted to compare them. (He was stunned by the 10X50 and preferred them to his 10X42 and this in very clear light). I have also compared the EL 10X50 against the EL 10X42 over the period between early evening and total darkness at my own home by borrowing a friend's 10X42. Let me assure you that the 10X50 is a better bino than the 10X42 and I have put my money where my mouth is.

All your friend has done is to confirm what you already knew and what many people on this forum have already said.

The only possible issues are the weight (158 gms extra) and the the price (in my case £1,899 versus £1,785 before the current discounts on the "old" range. I paid £1,780 for the EL 10X50 after the discount). You have to decide how important these 2 factors are while balancing them against an improved performance.

Sanjay. To be totally honest, you need to try both sets yourself and look at alternatives such as the Zeiss Victory SF. You can listen to people like me or your friend visiting Hamburg but I think that's is unwise to buy any set of binos without trying them yourself. In this thread, you only have to read HighNorth's comments on July 20th to see what I mean:

"I got the Swarovski EL SV 10x50 that I ordered last Friday, and I have had good use of it over the weekend.

I have to say that it is a magnificent binocular, but unfortunately, not for me personally...

I did not get along with the ergonomics of the bin, especially the large tumb indents (that seem dimentioned for a Yeti!), and it wasn't as easy to hold and focus as my 8x42 SF. Optically, the SF also seemed a little bit brighter, and had a bit better CA correction to my eyes. AFOV seemed about equal. Glare restistance was about the same. Build quality is of course better on the Swaro....

Although I can see why many people like this bin (and rightly so), I just don't think it is enough of an improvement on my SF to justify the investment.

Basically, it's just a bigger, brighter version of my 8x32 SV EL with better glare resistance and a bit more shake...

This bin will be going back to the dealer for a refund".

If you cannot test the EL 10X50 against the EL 10X42 and other competitors then, in my opinion, take a punt on the 10X50.

Good luck with your continuing deliberations.

Rolstone

Thank you so much for providing all such great insights. I love all you guys for that. Unfortunately in India , there is no possibility of trying these bino. However with my persistence, I could lay my hands on EL 12*50 and frankly I liked what I saw through them. It was very impressive but I felt it was heavy. I could also try Zeiss VIctory HT 10*42. I liked the view through swarovs much better than ZEiss. ZEiss was brighter but Swaros were sharp, great colors and contrast. That's how I decided on Swaros. I don't think I would get another chance to try bino here in India. But I am confident after I looked through Swaros that whatever I buy it is going to be something which I would really like. I will keep you guys updated as soon as I make the purchase.

Sanjay

Thank you so much for providing all such great insights. I love all you guys for that. Unfortunately in India , there is no possibility of trying these bino. However with my persistence, I could lay my hands on EL 12*50 and frankly I liked what I saw through them. It was very impressive but I felt it was heavy. I could also try Zeiss VIctory HT 10*42. I liked the view through swarovs much better than ZEiss. ZEiss was brighter but Swaros were sharp, great colors and contrast. That's how I decided on Swaros. I don't think I would get another chance to try bino here in India. But I am confident after I looked through Swaros that whatever I buy it is going to be something which I would really like. I will keep you guys updated as soon as I make the purchase.

Sanjay

Don't rush things, there's still plenty of time to dither.|:D|

Sanjay
I compared the 12X50 and 10X50 SV's side-by-side over a period of days. The 12X was definitely not for me. The 10X50, however, is magical. My guess is if you liked the 12X50 you'll really like the 10X50.

Sanjay:

if you think the 12x50 SV felt heavy,
you will find the Zeiss 10x42 SF light as a feather…
+ 120m FOV and 66° AFOV,
the SF eye piece is a master piece...

or wait for the new 8.5x42 SV, weight reduced to 800 grams,
pretty much the optimal weight of binoculars.
and that is the objective truth...
;)

Sanjay

Sanjay,

I'd say you have done all of the due diligence you can get done at this point. You have asked the questions you needed, probably got some useful information, you have handled what you can in person. You are done shopping I think. I happen to agree with Pileateus in that you already know the size and feel of the 50 SV EL due to having handled the 12x version.

Just order the 10x50, you can do no more until you see it in hand. ;)

Thanks, would have been better if it would have been between 10*42 vs. 10*50.

sanjay
Sanjay. I was really impressed with the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I may even trade my 8x32 SV for it. It is one of the best binoculars I have ever looked through. Just beautiful view and it does not feel that heavy because of the excellent balance. I myself will not mess around with the 10x42 SV. Get the 10x50 SV and you will not be sorry.

Sanjay. I was really impressed with the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I may even trade my 8x32 SV for it. It is one of the best binoculars I have ever looked through. Just beautiful view and it does not feel that heavy because of the excellent balance. I myself will not mess around with the 10x42 SV. Get the 10x50 SV and you will not be sorry.

I appreciate the 10x50's strengths but I would'nt want it as my only or prime bin, too shallow depth and 115m fov, I'd need to hang on to my 32mm.

I appreciate the 10x50's strengths but I would'nt want it as my only or prime bin, too shallow depth and 115m fov, I'd need to hang on to my 32mm.

Agree with the "only" 115m FOV (although actually pretty wide for a 10x bin) but I found the DOF to be very good in the SV50. I expected much worse, but was pleasantly surprised|=)| The huge AFOV really sucks you into the scenery.:t:

When I only could have one, it would come down to the EL8.5x42 or SF8x42. Definitely a 8x over a 10x. I'm not a real birder, but I consider the 8(.5)x42 format to be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Sanjay

To make everything even more complicated, are you really sure about getting a 10x bin?
As a general purpose bino, the 8.5x42 format is hard to beat. I think most people who own a 10x bin, also have a 8x bin next to it. One thing is for sure, you can't go wrong with either of them.
When you own one of the models you are looking for, it will grow on you, and you will get used to it very fast.
Maybe I should not have written the advice above , but make sure you are choosing the right bino for your purposes.

I So I decided to look at the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I had the salesman pullout a Swarovski 8x32 SV to compare it to. ANNNNNNNNND it surprised me but the 10x50 SV is amazing. Comparing them back to back was like comparing the 8x25 CL-P Swarovski to the 8x32 SV. Although the SV 10x50 looked HUGE next to the SV 8x32 once it was in your hands it didn't feel that heavy. I GET it now. The SV 8x32 feels like a compact in performance compared to the it's big brother. I would say if you can carry the weight and the SV 10x50 is not too bad it will give you the ultimate view.

I have to completely agree with Dennis here, as my experience was nearly identical! I also went shopping for the El 8x32, but once I glassed with the 10x50 SV, WOW, I had to have it. As stated, the "big optical step up" from the CL-P 8x25 to the El 8x32 parallels the "Big Optical Step Up" from the EL 8x32's to the El 10x50's! I though I'd compare the El 10x42's with the EL 10x50's...closer than the 8x32 views, but still the EL 10x50 SV optics are in a glassing league on its own...Breathtaking! :t:

Ted

subtle but noticeable,
same viewing comfort as the 8,5x but at 10x,
bigger objective lenses, better resolution, more light, better micro-contrast,
and the edge sharpness is even better than the 42mm:s,
to me the 50mm SV have the best ambience/transparence,
the view in the 10x42 SV:s feels a bit more constrained IMO (with glasses).
the zeiss 10x42 SF is much better in that aspect, impressive FOV/AFOV,
the best all-around binos would be a 8.5/8x42mm,
on the other hand, if you want the best possible view, in all light conditions,
10x50 is the way to go,

Thanks for reply!

My opinion about Swarovision 8,5 and 10x42 is that the edge of eye cups are unneccesary high. With eyeglasses I would like to come 1-2mm closer the ocular lenses. Which is possible without the eyeglasses lenses touching the ocular lenses. That's the only serious thing I have against them. If 10x50 is better in this respect it's just great!

The SV 10x50 really has pretty good DOF for a 10x. It is weird I know but a 345 foot FOV on a 10x like the SV 10x50 has too me what seems like as big of a FOV as the 420 foot FOV on the SV 8x32. I think it is because everything is BIGGER. The 10x50 SV really makes you rethink 10x's. It is that good. I could see it as my only binocular especially with a good harness.

I have to completely agree with Dennis here, as my experience was nearly identical! I also went shopping for the El 8x32, but once I glassed with the 10x50 SV, WOW, I had to have it. As stated, the "big optical step up" from the CL-P 8x25 to the El 8x32 parallels the "Big Optical Step Up" from the EL 8x32's to the El 10x50's! I though I'd compare the El 10x42's with the EL 10x50's...closer than the 8x32 views, but still the EL 10x50 SV optics are in a glassing league on its own...Breathtaking! :t:

Ted
I agree the 10x50 SV's are a beautiful view. You can really see it when you compare the 8x32 and the 10x50 back to back like I did. It is really weird. The 8x32 is an awesome 32mm binocular but it really is outclassed by the big 50mm. Get a good harness if you think you need one and they could be your only binocular. They are not THAT heavy really for a 50mm. You really don't even need a harness. It seems the balance point is perfect so they don't feel that heavy when you are holding them. Expensive. Cabella's wanted $2500.00 for them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back