• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

Who is your son ? I have a few decent rifles.

I can understand that SD, the 10x42's truly have lushes colors that are eye candy in the view! My son (custom rifle builder, avid hunter and competition shooter) proclaims the EL 10x42 SVs "the best glass" he's ever looked through, Loves them, but was also seduced by the 10x50 DOF + FOV optical presentation. Will he trade up to the 10x50...No, but does admire their attributes!

Hopefully, Indy has a great SV & SF spread for you to glass and spend all of those millions on..., hehe. ;) Please, let us know of Your experiences!

Ted

Look for me to continue using color saturation. Do not count on me adopting edge contrast either. I'm too old for a bunch of new terms in one day

For the record I knew what you meant.

B :)

Last edited:
Look for me to continue using color saturation. Do not count on me adopting edge contrast either. I'm too old for a bunch of new terms in one day

For the record I knew what you meant.

B :)

Steve, here's to old farts loving the status quo! B :)

Ted

Sanjay,

For me, the similar optical qualities (color saturation & enhanced contrast) of the 10x42 and 12x50 SVs "pop" a little more than the 10x50. It's not necessarily a "bad" feature, and in very strong bright daylight, may be a desirable control of stray reflective light...like putting on good sunglasses to control glare to unprotected eyes. Due to the smaller exit pupils of the 10x42s and 12x50's, "light gathering" is not quite as strong as the extra "brightness" we all see using the 10x50s!

Personally, I find the Darker and Enhanced chromatic saturation and edge contrast of the 10x42s and 12x50s unnatural. I speak of this in the context of a natural view, as without any optical corrections or magnifications (my eyes are 20\13 vision, thanks to cataract surgery). Specifically, I compare my natural FOV eyesight of the scene with the binoculars, looking for inaccuracies in the magnified color fidelity, contrast, light presentation and razor edge sharpness. Yes, colors and possibly contrast seem to be accentuated with the smaller EPs, this being possibly more desirable and useful in very bright and harsh sunlight. My main usages are usually in daylight forested shadow areas, dusk and dawn that the natural brightness, color fidelity and resolution details of the 10x50 make so great, with a scenic view that is as if I were standing there.

The optic appeal of the 12x50 \ 10x42 may be just what you want. When You can make the direct comparisons Yourself, under the same Circumstances, under the same Lighting Conditions, then You will ultimately have the Perfect Answer for YOU! ;)

Ted

Which means that there do exists difference in Color saturation and Contrast between 10*42, 12*50 & 10*50. That's what was my first impression that 10*50 present more of natural colors and 12*50 SV looks more Vivid. I was never sure since it was not side by side comparison. You also do find that Colors in 10*42 looks more Vivid than 10*50. Its strange that this aspect never came up here in this thread discussion. This may be important because all may not like more bright less color pop up of 10*50 SV, although optically 10*50 is much superior.

Note :-
Pileatus didn't find any difference in color saturation between 12*50 and 10*50 when he did side by side comparison.

Sanjay

I'm not sure about chromatic saturation, etc, but I'm sure of one thing..........put those 10x50SV's on a tripod, add winged eyecups, and all sorts of new words will come out of your mouth. Nothing short of amazing, seriously.

but I'm sure of one thing..........put those 10x50SV's on a tripod, add winged eyecups, and all sorts of new words will come out of your mouth. Nothing short of amazing, seriously.

I told you so, didn't I, some posts back, somewhere!
:t:

Good bins deserve to be on a tripod once and again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about chromatic saturation, etc, but I'm sure of one thing..........put those 10x50SV's on a tripod, add winged eyecups, and all sorts of new words will come out of your mouth. Nothing short of amazing, seriously.
Enjoy!

PS
Stabilize it on a clear star field and get back to us.

Cool Deal, JG! Just as I thought, the EL 10x50 SV made me do it!!! 3:)

What exactly are you seeing that is better than your 10X42 ? I may be in danger of having to order a pair of the damn things myself. :C 3:)

A rep from Swarovski just called me from the new Cabelas in Indy. He said to come in this weekend and he would put a 50 and 42 in my hands outside the store. I wish I had time to go.

A rep from Swarovski just called me from the new Cabelas in Indy. He said to come in this weekend and he would put a 50 and 42 in my hands outside the store. I wish I had time to go.

That will be great since you can yourself find what is missing in 10*42 which is there in 10*50. Also you can check for the color saturation and contrast between the two. Who knows you will come back with 10*50 SV.

Sanjay

SuperDuty, I'm probably going to do a poor job explaining, but.......

The FOV in the 50 seems much wider than it probably actually is, but it really is noticeably larger, almost giving you the feeling you're in the scene, not just looking at it (I know, that sounds dumb). I can't really tell any difference in sharpness, colors, contrast, resolving power, etc, as both are spectacularly sharp. It is noticeably brighter too, as you would expect.

I'm sure by putting the 10x42's on a tripod, with those winged eyecups would wow me as well. Can't say enough about those wings..

Have you made the choice to sell the 42s ?

SuperDuty, I'm probably going to do a poor job explaining, but.......

The FOV in the 50 seems much wider than it probably actually is, but it really is noticeably larger, almost giving you the feeling you're in the scene, not just looking at it (I know, that sounds dumb). I can't really tell any difference in sharpness, colors, contrast, resolving power, etc, as both are spectacularly sharp. It is noticeably brighter too, as you would expect.

I'm sure by putting the 10x42's on a tripod, with those winged eyecups would wow me as well. Can't say enough about those wings..

There seems to be a near consensus about the superior view of the 50. I will have to see them at some point.

Yes, I have never before heard about such a claimed difference between 42 and 50 mm within the same series. Usually 10x42 has wider FOV than 10x50, but here it's the opposite even if the difference is not big. All of the Swarovisions use same coating and same prism design. The difference between 4,2, 4,94 and 5mm exit pupil is not very big either. So it has to be some other explanation. 10x50 has to be of higher quality in some respect. I am very curious to try it.

Yes, I have never before heard about such a claimed difference between 42 and 50 mm within the same series. Usually 10x42 has wider FOV than 10x50, but here it's the opposite even if the difference is not big. All of the Swarovisions use same coating and same prism design. The difference between 4,2, 4,94 and 5mm exit pupil is not very big either. So it has to be some other explanation. 10x50 has to be of higher quality in some respect. I am very curious to try it.

Eagle Optics has 6 reviews averaging 5 stars on the 10x50 Swarovision going back to 2011.

Read the 2nd one which discusses something called "focus granularity."

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-swarovision-10x50-binocular

The 10x42 Swarovision has 30 reviews averaging 5 stars.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-el-10x42-swarovision-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back