• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

The CA level is not bad in the SV, but a little back from the best in that regard. I have seen better in the Kowa Genesis and Zen ED 2, but other than that one thing, the SV is in another universe. I have wondered if extreme CA repression comes at a cost to the overall image, I'm sure Swarovski could practically eliminate it from their binoculars if they were a mind to. Just a thought. I have always wanted to see the 10X42 EDG, It's my understanding that they are close to CA free, along with an elite level view in all other parameters.

I own the 10X50 and 8.5X42 SV's. Color and contrast are all but identical, though the extra magnification and slightly larger AFOV in the 10X50 can fool the eye. CA, something I cannot and will not tolerate, is extremely minimal in both models and non-intrusive. I never see it in a normal birding day.

Hi Ted

Conditions this afternoon were perfect for viewing and I had a little time, so out came the 10X50s. I could really see today what they could do without the atmosphere degrading the image. They are almost impossible for me to find fault with, a truly amazing thing to behold IMO. The ONLY area that slightly spoils the experience for me is what I consider good but not great CA correction. Had I not seen the Zen ED2 and Kowa Genesis I wouldn't be quite as critical, but I did, and they are considerably better in that regard. These will probably be with me from now on, but if someone ever offers this level of optics with Genesis level CA correction, I would buy them. The CA level is very decent, but it can be considerably better, and I think should be at the $2500 level. I guess maybe the best question I could answer at this point is, are they worth $2500, I say yes.

Hi Robert,

I haven't had the opportunity to put these two side by side, but was able to work the 12x50 SV (out of the 10x50's) for a couple of hours at Cabelas in direct comparison to the 10x42 SV's. To me, they compared very equally in color, sharpness, brightness and detail, with a tad more resolution (due to the higher power). Since the unfavorable lighting and environment glassing didn't challenge potential CA, I didn't see any issues...if they exist at all.

Now, during these past 3 months under very diverse and challenging conditions with the 10x50SV's, I've yet to induce or witness Any CA issues that would change my mind about the prowess of these top quality optics. I could go on and on, but this thread is about a different topic...later!

Stay Thirsty My Friend...B :) !

Ted

:smoke:
Hi Ted

Conditions this afternoon were perfect for viewing and I had a little time, so out came the 10X50s. I could really see today what they could do without the atmosphere degrading the image. They are almost impossible for me to find fault with, a truly amazing thing to behold IMO. The ONLY area that slightly spoils the experience for me is what I consider good but not great CA correction. Had I not seen the Zen ED2 and Kowa Genesis I wouldn't be quite as critical, but I did, and they are considerably better in that regard. These will probably be with me from now on, but if someone ever offers this level of optics with Genesis level CA correction, I would buy them. The CA level is very decent, but it can be considerably better, and I think should be at the $2500 level. I guess maybe the best question I could answer at this point is, are they worth $2500, I say yes.

with a larger aperture (50mm) comes more CA, the SV 50mm also is very short for a 50mm, probably why there is slightly more CA (off axis) than in the 42mm models, the optical design is more extreme in the 50mm,
optical designs are always a compromise between many factors,
I guess..but I could be wrong,

Last edited:

with a larger aperture (50mm) comes more CA, the SV 50mm also is very short for a 50mm, probably why there is slightly more CA (off axis) than in the 42mm models, the optical design is more extreme in the 50mm,
optical designs are always a compromise between many factors,
I guess..but I could be wrong,

That's exactly the reason why I bought the ATX85 i.s.o. the 95. I found the level of CA in the 95 to be significantly higher than in the 85.
There is some CA in the SV50, but not enough to be bothersome for me (not like the level of CA in the new Trinovid, that was too much for my liking...)
In the SV32 however, CA is almost non existent. But that one suffers with glare issues, which the SV50 doesn't have....:eat:

I am truly bothered by CA in bins and I've disposed of more than one alpha because of it. The Swarovision 10X50, like all bins, will display CA if you go looking for it, especially if you tilt the bin abnormally. I recently used mine for three weeks of non-stop birding in all type of lighting conditions and not once did CA appear intrude on the image. Personally, I think the Swarovisions are very well corrected for CA to the point that it's a non-issue for the vast majority.

I can start to see yellow or purple fringing just out of the center field of view, not just at the edges. On large high contrast objects I can't center things up enough to totally get away from it. With the Kowa Genesis, you will see maybe a third as much and only at the very edge, unfortunately the Kowa isn't even close to the SV overall. Apparently I'm more CA sensitive than most. Is the Nikon EDG on par with the SV series ? I understand that they handle CA very well.

I am truly bothered by CA in bins and I've disposed of more than one alpha because of it. The Swarovision 10X50, like all bins, will display CA if you go looking for it, especially if you tilt the bin abnormally. I recently used mine for three weeks of non-stop birding in all type of lighting conditions and not once did CA appear intrude on the image. Personally, I think the Swarovisions are very well corrected for CA to the point that it's a non-issue for the vast majority.

I may not be real sensitive to CA, although my 10x42 BX-3's exhibit CA that is very obvious to me. Even my 8x42 GR HD's gave me a taste of CA (much worse in the bokeh areas)! Also, although a lush and saturated view is to be had by the 10x42 Ultra Vid HD+, found some CA edge issues when testing those on a cloudy day, under shaded wooded areas.

However to date, CA is also a non-issue for me in the SV 10x50. I tried to induce it since ownership in many varying lighting conditions, but it just doesn't happen....nothing but Pure Enjoyment and Optical Nirvana every time I glass with em! As always, YMMV! :t:

Ted

I can start to see yellow or purple fringing just out of the center field of view, not just at the edges. On large high contrast objects I can't center things up enough to totally get away from it. With the Kowa Genesis, you will see maybe a third as much and only at the very edge, unfortunately the Kowa isn't even close to the SV overall. Apparently I'm more CA sensitive than most. Is the Nikon EDG on par with the SV series ? I understand that they handle CA very well.
Just for fun try adjusting your IPD when you see CA off-center. I found there's a "perfect" IPD setting that removes most, if not all, visual distractions. Since I wear eyeglasses I never raise the eyecups.

I purchased a new Swarovski Swarovision 10x50 SV and I just wanted to add to the love fest. It really is an excellent binocular. As Pileatus says it could easily be your only birding binocular. It doesn't feel that heavy and because of the excellent balance you can hold it quite steady for a 10x. It almost has more of the wow sensation than my 8x SV because it brings things closer with almost eerie reality. It is a little better than the 8x at glare control also. With the 50mm objective it has such a nice easy comfortable view without any distortions. I find myself using it more than the 8x even though the 8x has a slightly bigger FOV and it is a little easier to hold.

I have a 9 month old pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD's, and as nice as they are,...

I wonder if anyone has also used them over a period of time, and then tried the Swarovski 10x50 el SV's..?

Did you see a significant improvement with the depth of view sharpness, ?

As i found the view of the conquest 10x42 beyond 1 kilometer on buildings was fuzzy, though that could of been heat haze.

Neil

Last edited:
I have a 9 month old pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD's, and as nice as they are,...

I wonder if anyone has also used them over a period of time, and then tried the Swarovski 10x50 el SV's..?

Did you see a significant improvement with the depth of view sharpness, ?

As i found the view of the conquest 10x42 beyond 1 kilometer on buildings was fuzzy, though that could of been heat haze.

Neil
Yes. The Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD is an excellent binocular but it is not quite an alpha binocular. There is a definite difference in optics and build quality between it and the SV 10x50. I found the improvement significant but some people might not find it significant enough to pay the extra money for the SV. The 10x50 SV is among the best binoculars you can buy and that is what you are paying for. I highly recommend the 10x50 SV.

Yes. The Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD is an excellent binocular but it is not quite an alpha binocular. There is a definite difference in optics and build quality between it and the SV 10x50. I found the improvement significant but some people might not find it significant enough to pay the extra money for the SV. The 10x50 SV is among the best binoculars you can buy and that is what you are paying for. I highly recommend the 10x50 SV.

Many thanks for your opinion Denco.
After spending a couple of hours reading most of the contributions of this thread, i can see that the 10x50 sv have many fans, and as the newest one, i would welcome all donations to my new 10x50 EL Swarovision charity. :t: - just think, it would be the greatest donation you could ever make in your life ;) - something your mother would be proud of :smoke:

Neil

Last edited:
The USA and the UK have always been good allies but I am not sure if that friendship extends to financing your 10x50 SV's. Your not friends with Elton John are you? I am sure he would give a fellow Brit an advance. They are expensive but let me say this. Once you have them your search will be over and you may never need another pair of binoculars. Here is a pair on Ebay UK with 5 days left on the auction. They are in the USA but they ship worldwide. My mother wasn't the charitable type. I even had to pay her back when I borrowed money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWAROVSKI...276717?hash=item5d60388a6d:g:EngAAOSwo3pWcbXx

The USA and the UK have always been good allies but I am not sure if that friendship extends to financing your 10x50 SV's. Your not friends with Elton John are you? I am sure he would give a fellow Brit an advance. They are expensive but let me say this. Once you have them your search will be over and you may never need another pair of binoculars. Here is a pair on Ebay UK with 5 days left on the auction. They are in the USA but they ship worldwide. My mother wasn't the charitable type. I even had to pay her back when I borrowed money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWAROVSKI...276717?hash=item5d60388a6d:g:EngAAOSwo3pWcbXx

No Im not friends with Elton John unfortunately :-C
But if you are reading this by any chance Elton ;) feel free to send me a PM.
But joking aside, i will be saving every £££ in the next few weeks, before i go to a store to test out the 10x50 el SV's.
And thanks for your thoughts on them Denco, and the link to those 10x50's. They sound an awesome binocular.
One finally thing, compared to the Conquest 10x42 HD, would you say the 10x50 SV's definitely have the wow factor..?
Or as close to it as you can get to that feeling..?

Neil

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back