• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from Swarovski: Range 32 and new phone adapter (1 Viewer)

Hi Tom,

For what little we know about the EL Range x42 internals and electronics, see posts #5 and 6 at:
Updated Swarovski Range and CL pockets.

The link in post #5 regarding transmission shows that - depending on the way the electronics are incorporated into a design -
they may have a significantly adverse effect on transmission. It draws from Gij's extensive body of tests.

And for two images comparing the external dimensions of the EL SV x42 and the original EL Range x42,
see post #251 at: 6 January 2022 - New Leica announcement
(along with post #241 there are also images of other RF binoculars compared).

John
Thanks John,
I saw this yesterday, Meopta Optika LR VS Leica Geovid R Binoculars - Rokslide I had no idea of the optical issues that come with Range finding binoculars... Curious theres a color tint diff top to bottom within a tube with these?

Im interested in what I now think I understand is the "fin" - had no clue of this either. Seems something that would have to be handled to understand its impact on handling.

The differences described in your attached articles about the 42s and now here with the 32s suggests things are happening at a very fast rate and are rather material in optics, electronics and handling.

T

I was going to say "so curious now to have a 32mm Range model after killing off the EL 32" and then read this...
I suspect we will shortly see a 32mm EL which will be similar in appearance (and which will correct the obvious 32mm gap in the current EL assortment)
A nice thought, but how do you suppose your hypothetical new EL 32 (which doesn't look like an EL) would fit into their current lineup better than the old one did?

Last edited:
A week on from the initial announcement, I had a look to see if more information, especially any user impressions or reviews
had been added to the 'net.

The one thing of interest that I did find is an image more clearly showing the underside, with the fin only on the right hand housing:

Single fin.jpg

John

A week on from the initial announcement, I had a look to see if more information, especially any user impressions or reviews
had been added to the 'net.

The one thing of interest that I did find is an image more clearly showing the underside, with the fin only on the right hand housing:

View attachment 1530317

John
Thanks for confirming that John. Wonder if that makes one feel lopsided?

Hi Tom,

Hmmm :unsure:

Well there is already a lot of lopsided holding going on out there, that would be useable with the new model!

Asymmetry in action.jpg

Top L to R:
a) Prong vs b) Trident vs c) Fork

Bottom L to R:
d) Winston (Churchill)
e) Ernst (Leitz II, as in a common way to hold a rangefinder camera)
f) Gerd (from here on the forum)

Sources:
a) and c) Swarovski Optik
b) Review of SWAROVSKI OPTIK’s new FieldPro package — Batumi Raptor Count.
d) no longer available at: BWD Magazine – Birds Wonder Delight
e) Partners - Yves ADAMS

- - - -
As shown in the original Swarovski patent for the rangefinder binocular technology,
the laser portion was contained in left barrel, and the display portion in the right one
e.g. 14 is the laser transmitter, 21 the laser receiver and 24 the control unit;
and 25 is the display element and 26 the display optics.

2009 Patent.jpg

So the more compact arrangement on the new EL Range 32 (presumedly combining the laser and display functions on one side),
may raise the possibility of an update to the 42?
Though Swarovski might wait to see user reaction to the asymmetrical shape of the 32 before proceeding with the 42.

John

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Hmmm :unsure:

Well there is already a lot of lopsided holding going on out there, that would be useable with the new model!

View attachment 1530770

Top L to R:
a) Prong vs b) Trident vs c) Fork

Bottom L to R:
d) Winston (Churchill)
e) Ernst (Leitz II, as in a common way to hold a rangefinder camera)
f) Gerd (from here on the forum)

Sources:
a) and c) Swarovski Optik
b) Review of SWAROVSKI OPTIK’s new FieldPro package — Batumi Raptor Count.
d) no longer available at: BWD Magazine – Birds Wonder Delight
e) Partners - Yves ADAMS

- - - -
As shown in the original Swarovski patent for the rangefinder binocular technology,
the laser portion was contained in left barrel, and the display portion in the right one
e.g. 14 is the laser transmitter, 21 the laser receiver and 24 the control unit;
and 25 is the display element and 26 the display optics.

View attachment 1530771

So the more compact arrangement on the new EL Range 32 (presumedly combining the laser and display functions on one side),
may raise the possibility of an update to the 42?
Though Swarovski might wait to see user reaction to the asymmetrical shape of the 32 before proceeding with the 42.

John
Haha. Since I already contort things in ways like that, mebbe wouldn't notice... Your last paragraph makes a lot o sense

Following on from post #25, a more detailed view of the 'mono-fin' on the underside of the EL Range 32:

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 12.03.30 pm.png

John

p.s. The original announcement by Swarovski of the EL Range 32 was in late August, with availability from October.
So hopefully we'll soon see some user reports.

Last edited:
I do not want binoculars that have on-off switches and batteries. Binoculars are OPTICAL instruments and not electrical devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back