• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Caledonia - 2 birds I don't recognise - help please (1 Viewer)

MikeB.

In my Landie, under a tree
Hello there,

I haven't posted for ages, and am in New Caledonia, and waiting for a bird book just ordered from Amazon to arrive.
Many of the birds here are different, and many exotic, not found in other parts.
Attached is a bird I saw on a small island offshore yesterday, called Amedee Island, and it was visiting flowers on the ground, about UK blackbird size, Behaving like a sunbird, but far too big!
The second is a seabird, well camouflaged.
Just anxious to know if anyone can name these two, until my book arrives!
Thanks a lot for any ideas,

Mike

Attachments

• Dark brown bird on ground 2 140619.jpg
    Dark brown bird on ground 2 140619.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Dark brown bird on ground comp 140619.jpg
    Dark brown bird on ground comp 140619.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 48
  • Dark brown bird on beach 140619.jpg
    Dark brown bird on beach 140619.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 53
Thanks guys very much for your replies, appreciated. Birdforum still going strong!!
Should get my bird book from Amazon soon I hope!

Mike

Hi Mike, if you haven't visited them already, try and get to Riviere Bleu, Mont Khogi, and Farino. Between those 3 sites you'll see most of mainland New Caledonia's specialities :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back