• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Conquest HD 10x42, tripod question (1 Viewer)

I finally bit the bullet and got the Conquest HD I've wanted for years! The view is amazing in my opinion! I've never had anything this nice, so I am totally impressed. Compared with the Trinovid HD in store only and figured I would be happy with either, but the Zeiss seemed a little brighter to me and slightly bigger TFoV, and a little sharper at the edges. Just my subjective opinion of them. The Orion Nebula, Andromeda, Double Cluster, etc all look so much better through these than my old Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42...obviously! Saw some winter plumage Goldfinches, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadees, a Cardinal, and obviously a number of squirrels! Just looking at anything through these is a pleasure.

However, my question is related to the hinge cap/tripod adapter. Mine are the newer ones without the Z logo on the cap, but all I can find about removal talks about having to drill the Z logo cap, but apparently the blank newer one just pops off? Or unscrews? How do I get it off without damaging my prized new expensive bins?

Also, any recommendation for adapters? Must I get the Zeiss one or is this a standardized thread system and any of the type will work? I hope I can find my old tripod, dont want to have to get a new one.

Thanks for any help and guidance, I appreciate it!

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I have had a 10x42 Conquest HD on loan from Zeiss for a weekend, a couple of weeks back. The cap for the tripod exit just screws off, it is a little awkward to get to but needs a little persistence. Also, it is a standard thread that uses a normal screw in type tripod adapter for binoculars. You will need a tripod adapter that screws into the socket on the binoculars, the tripod adapter then screws onto the tripod platform. I don't know the proper designation of the tripod adapter type. I have a cheap adapter that I bought off ebay for use with porro prism binoculars and the adapter worked fine on the Conquest HD.1612820936231.png

Congrats on your new binos, I was amazed by their sharpness, resolution and contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back