• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I bought a used pair of Zeiss Conquest HD off Ebay.... (2 Viewers)

oraclegururich

United States
Hi!

I realize that buying a nicer pair of Binocs off of Ebay is probably not the smartest idea in the world, but it was priced right. It's still in the mail, so I haven't received it yet. It's a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42.

I have a couple of questions.

First, can someone date this set of Binoculars for me? The Serial number is 04230720.

Second, should I have it serviced by a professional? Assuming this pair of binocs is likely several years old, I think it might be a good idea to have a Zeiss Authorized Repair Center take a look at it. I'd like them to clean it, perhaps collimate it, and whatever other service a 10 year old Zeiss binoc needs. Is there a Zeiss authorized repair center in the Atlanta area?

Any other tips for a new owner of a used Zeiss? TIA

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdform!

And congratulations to your new bins.

Regarding the manufactoring year this needs access to the factory records with modern Zeiss or Zeiss west aka Oberkochen. Only CZJ bins had the easy scheme of simply counting up which together with leaked production numbers allow for easy dating.

So maybe send them a message on their website and ask nicely - you might be lucky as few individuals on here have access to the records though...

I would not consider sending off a modern pair of bins for service unless there is sth wrong with it. You can clean the rubber armour yourself with water, soap and a brush and the lenses, if really needed, very carefully with a mixture of isopropylic alcohol and water and a soft cloth.

Enjoy the view!

Joachim

Last edited:
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back