• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New field studies (6 Viewers)

More great drawings - we've all come to expect no less, of course! The moray reminded me of the first time I saw a very large one while snorkeling in Hawaii for the first time, having grown up landlocked and not much of a swimmer. Very intimidating at the time. My wife (born and raised in Hawaii and used to all manner of sea critters) had a good laugh at my expense when she saw my reaction. (They're shy and won't hurt you unless you stick your hands right into their hiding spot - or so she claims!)

Its a pleasure to hear how a sketch helps to recall back such memories John!
I spend my morning in the zoo,focusing again on primates, and returned home with this watercolour in my bag..Lowland gorilla portrait painted only in brush without pencil preliminary..

Attachments

• Flachland-gorilla-portrait-.jpg
    Flachland-gorilla-portrait-.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Its a pleasure to hear how a sketch helps to recall back such memories John!
I spend my morning in the zoo,focusing again on primates, and returned home with this watercolour in my bag..Lowland gorilla portrait painted only in brush without pencil preliminary..

Stunning. I have tried a few times now with no pencil lines just straight on with the paint with reasonable results, nothing compared to that though :) Your zoo trips bring back so interesting pictures, looking forward to seeing more, even your failed drawings if you do any?

Thank you John! Since you mentioned the failed drawings there have been several posted in the recent past, and yes, even today there were a couple of them , and here they are..

Paschalis

Attachments

• Lowland-gorilla-fail.jpg
    Lowland-gorilla-fail.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Lowland-gorilla-fail-1.jpg
    Lowland-gorilla-fail-1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
Fantastic field painting. I also love the second failed one, how this can this be a fail, so few brush strokes and paint and its instantly recognisable as Gorilla B :)

Always grateful for your comments!
I`m trying to visit the zoo as often as I can in order to keep me in form, it is obvious that sketching and painting from life helps to get better and better.. Today was such an other
day, and since I was succeed last time with a difficult modell like a Gorilla I tried my luck with an other much more cooperative to paint-a Rhinoceros Iguana. Just like in the case of Gorilla a complete "bruch" painting without pencil preliminary...
In addition a resting "Agile" Wallaby, Bic pen.

Paschalis

Attachments

• Rhinoceros-Iguana-watercolo.jpg
    Rhinoceros-Iguana-watercolo.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Agile-wallaby.jpg
    Agile-wallaby.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 58
Let me express my gratitude to all fo you with the latest "harvest" from my visit to the zoo today morning..failed attempts included. Mississippi Alligator, Fishing cat.

Paschalis

Attachments

• Fischkatze-auf-die-lauer.jpg
    Fischkatze-auf-die-lauer.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Fishing-cat-profile.jpg
    Fishing-cat-profile.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Missisippi-alligator.jpg
    Missisippi-alligator.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Missisippi-alligator.jpgfai.jpg
    Missisippi-alligator.jpgfai.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 59
Oh my word how good is the fishing cat. great failures too as your failures would be most folks triumphs ;) Missed the lizard water colour, Stunning

Remarkable biro drawings, the fishing cat is simply wonderful, intent and focused...

The earlier gorilla sketches are tremendous...

One more Bic study from today morning in the Munich zoo..A Young male Lion sitting..

Paschalis

Attachments

• Youn-Lion-portrait.jpg
    Youn-Lion-portrait.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back