• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member - Looking for Interstate 80 bird spots this week (2 Viewers)

jaypeter1

United States
Hello everyone, I have been birding for about 10 years. I live in Connecticut USA and spend a good part of winter in Wyoming and Idaho mountains. I am a photographer first, birding came as I tried to species ID my photos.
My "thing" is my all-time photo bird list. In my rules, a bird doesn't count without a photo to prove it. I have a computer directory with separate folders for each species. Basically an all time lifer list. Of course some birds have a fuzzy shot that may prove it, but the other main goal is magazine quality images which happens every once in a while. I chase after all birds, no real specialty. I am always trying to learn something.
I will get in my car next week and drive to Wyoming. I have done this cross country ride 22 times in each direction, and have found a few bird spots along the way. Bear river in Utah, Cranes in Nebraska, some spots on the river north of Omaha, Indiana dunes lakeshore. Some of the spots I might explore are based on time and having daylight, and I'm sure I pass some great locations in the dark. I have done variations of I80 and I90 in the past, but a minor detour or two could be taken. I have been looking at slight southern route variations that might go thru Louisville / St Louis / Kansas City which I have never done.
Any input on must visit winter spots is welcome ! Birding wise this would be a better trip in warm weather, but I will take what I can get.

thank you, Jay Petersen

My Instagram link: Surfing, birds, landscape and wildlife:

Last edited:
I will follow this closely....I travel across country all the time and next time, I plan on birding....so will see how this thread plays out.

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I can’t help with your question. You might try posting in the appropriate state in this part of the forum.

Hi Jay and a warm welcome from me too.

As well as what Lisa has suggested you could also have a look through the articles in The Opus there are many pages of suggestions of places to go and what birds you might see when you get there. This is the link to the ones for the United States..

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about and will maybe be able to see some of your images in the Gallery too.

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you(y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes. Right now thinking southern route 64, some Whooping Cranes just north of Evansville Indiana (west of Louisville KY). Might be 10 degrees warmer at night for my car camping. JP

Welcome aboard.

There should be a subforum that this could be moved to/you'll get a better response to your query - USA? Specific States (or are there too many)? Or just the general 'Information Wanted'??? (Or re-ask)

If a moderator can move this to the USA forum, I would approve. I looked around the individual states and they are rather "dead". I have been using Ebird as a tool and ABA Listserves, but was hoping for some human interaction on this as well.
Jay

If a moderator can move this to the USA forum, I would approve. I looked around the individual states and they are rather "dead". I have been using Ebird as a tool and ABA Listserves, but was hoping for some human interaction on this as well.
Jay
Hi Jay, I've moved this to the USA subforum for you.

My other thought had been Information Wanted, which I see Dan also had in mind. If you want it moved there later on, just give me a nudge.

Gibson power generating station area (Southern Indiana) was worth the visit. Thousands of snow geese, many raptors, many northern pintails. JP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back