• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New OM-1 (2 Viewers)

It will be interesting to get some real life feedback on the AF and tracking of this new camera. It should also have improved low light capability it seems.
Niels

It will be interesting to get some real life feedback on the AF and tracking of this new camera. It should also have improved low light capability it seems.
Niels
The af is very interesting indeed and lets hope others can follow their lead. Also interesting is the 50fps and SD cards - A lot of hanging around waiting for the buffer to clear perhaps.

Plus special bird and mammal settings for autofocus – already introduced on the eM1-X (at least for birds), but I believe this is the first time on one of their "regular" models. They also claim a handheld high-resolution 50mp mode, which could be useful for any subjects that are motionless.

Unfortunately though, it continues the trend of each new flagship model they introduce getting a little heavier than its predecessor. Also, still no internal GPS.

Last edited:
Plus special bird and mammal settings for autofocus – already introduced on the eM1-X (at least for birds), but I believe this is the first time on one of their "regular" models. They also claim a handheld high-resolution 50mp mode, which could be useful for any subjects that are motionless.
Don't know about "regular" models - this one looks to be a step up from the E-M1 Mk III & M-1X. Hope so as I pre-ordered from Wex this morning!

This looks really promising for bird photography. I've had Olympus m4/3 cameras for several years and have lots of good shots but never really mastered in-flight shots - better photographers than me have done it successfully so it's not necessarily the equipment - but the OM-1 does look as though it'll do the job much more effectively.
I can't afford one yet so it may be next year before I get my sticky fingers on it but that'll be OK -it'll make a good 50th birthday present for my original Olympus OM 1 that I bought in 1973, also as a portable camera for bird photography!

I will probably be getting an OM-1 to upgrade my E-M1 II. If so, I'll try to let you know what I think. GH6 would be another option but I'm not really a video guy and also it looks like the OM-1 might have better AF tracking... I've been "on the fence" with my Olympus kit for a while, using both Nikon and Olympus systems for bird photography. Eventually I tell myself I will go "all in" with one system, but I've been taking my time watching how things develop before making a decision. And honestly in the last few years I have sadly not been getting out very much to do bird photography. But I've always believed that in theory micro-4/3 would be the optimal format for birds, and this new camera may push me toward re-committing to micro-4/3 for birds.

I'd still like to see a few more micro-4/3 supertelephoto lens options with a prices in-between the 300mm f/4 Pro I have currently have and the uber-expensive 150-400mm f/4.5 with built-in TC. Nikon's lens roadmap offers a little more hope in that regard...

1645173963224.png

Dave

Last edited:
I switched away from SLRs because I just got fed up with the weight, being a naturalist first and photographer second, and swapped to the Sony RX10iv. However this does look tempting, although I may wait a bit for the price to drop and to hear from people who have gained in the field experience.

AF sounds promising although 20MP is a bit disappointing. The upcoming GH6 is 25MP with a very fast readout so I think I will wait for announcements post GH6 re possible G9 replacements.

Apparently there is a considerable improvement in noise at high ISO; I suspect that is the reason they stuck to 20MP.
Undoubtedly sounds a great camera, but I am a Panasonic shooter with a PL 100-400 so will definitely wait it out, as I am sure stabilisation will still play better with a matched body (it’s a shame they don’t share their dual-IS tech though).

If my G9 should die on me then I would have more serious questions to ask myself as the OM-1 would be tempting. I generally demote my main body to be my backup and general purpose shooter, so similar menus are always nice.

I only really crave more pixels for cropping. More dynamic range would be nice, with better ISO performance, and better AF would also be a bonus (although my G9 is capable enough in those points for me), so as the OM-1 misses out on my main craving and I have a capable 20MP body I will sit patiently in anticipation of further news following the GH6 release next week.

FYI GH6 continues the trend of m4/3 cameras getting heavier with each new model. It reportedly weighs 739g (gh5 630g) vs. 599g for the OM-1; so over 23% heavier than the OM-1.

Someone found this video on Instagram that shows the OM-1 bird detect in action:

You need to jump to about 16:15 in the video to see it. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looks pretty good to me!

Dave

Last edited:
I saw the DPReview first impressions video of the OM1. They were lauding an AF combo of using bird detect with a relatively small focus area and also have tracking active at the same time. They said the combo works better than either one alone. A bit like what I have imagined when reading about AF-expansion (I think I saw that description some years ago with either Canon or Nikon).
Niels

I saw the DPReview first impressions video of the OM1. They were lauding an AF combo of using bird detect with a relatively small focus area and also have tracking active at the same time. They said the combo works better than either one alone. A bit like what I have imagined when reading about AF-expansion (I think I saw that description some years ago with either Canon or Nikon).
Niels
The AF is a quantum leap up from what we saw on the E-M1X (which was already impressive, when setup correctly). I have a pair of Canon R6s, but have been using the E-M1X very heavily over recent weeks, as I think the AF will be superior for Birds. I am running workshops on the OM-1 from April onwards, to help people get up to speed on the camera for Bird and Wildlife photography.

AF sounds promising although 20MP is a bit disappointing. The upcoming GH6 is 25MP with a very fast readout so I think I will wait for announcements post GH6 re possible G9 replacements.

I only really crave more pixels for cropping. More dynamic range would be nice, with better ISO performance, and better AF would also be a bonus (although my G9 is capable enough in those points for me), so as the OM-1 misses out on my main craving and I have a capable 20MP body
I understand your wish for more pixels to allow cropping, but in real terms, 20Mp is enough to fill a billboard, so perhaps add a 1.4x or 2x extender?Optically a current, same-brand-as-lens extender does not compromise image quality and gives you far more reach.

The OM-1 and GH6 both offer 12 stops of dynamic range, so very capable in that regard. Noise is between 1 and 2 stops lower than previous models + image detail is significantly increased, so 32000 iso should be comfortable and probably still publishable at 6400 iso.

I am slightly torn - the OM-1 is superb for stills and AF, does video extremely well. But, the GH6 brings so much more to video; I have been using a GH5 for 4 or 5 years and it's capabilities are impressive, allowing me to shoot 4k 50p with the correct v90 rated cards. AF though, is terrible. Hopefully the GH6 may be a little better in that regard.

The AF is a quantum leap up from what we saw on the E-M1X (which was already impressive, when setup correctly). I have a pair of Canon R6s, but have been using the E-M1X very heavily over recent weeks, as I think the AF will be superior for Birds. I am running workshops on the OM-1 from April onwards, to help people get up to speed on the camera for Bird and Wildlife photography.
A quantum leap because of the special settings/AI for birds, etc. or for other reasons? What if you are switching in the same outing from shooting birds to butterflies, to frogs, to mammals, to flowers, to beetles, etc.? I don't think there's a quick way to customize buttons to switch autofocus modes. Wouldn't the utility of the special settings for specific kinds of critters be rather limited for such a photographer?

A quantum leap because of the special settings/AI for birds, etc. or for other reasons? What if you are switching in the same outing from shooting birds to butterflies, to frogs, to mammals, to flowers, to beetles, etc.? I don't think there's a quick way to customize buttons to switch autofocus modes. Wouldn't the utility of the special settings for specific kinds of critters be rather limited for such a photographer?
A quantum leap from many different perspectives; image quality is significantly better, but also the use of AI for birds has made a significant jump forwards. For reasons outlined elsewhere, I have been looking closely at new camera options. Weight, cost and capability are important in this. Borrowing a complete kit from Olympus for a few weeks gave me the opportunity to test carefully for myself and to compare with my existing Canon R6s. Out of the box, the Olympus cameras are feature packed, with HDR, High res composite shots and the clever Live ND feature. They can also be customised, so it is slow, but straightforward, to setup dedicated AF buttons or ways to switch between multi-point AF and Bird tracking. Once the setup is done, you can switch from a macro camera to a bird-tracking camera in a second or two. Even the lenses allow very close focus, which is a real treat!

I'm not quite sure what I'm allowed to link too, but I used to write the technical content for Canon Europe's Pro website, so I am rather used to digging through menus and customising cameras to do what I want. I have done this with my R6s, drastically improving the AF for BIF shots. I managed to achieve very similar results with the E-M1X, so I cannot wait to get my hands on the OM-1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back