• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New OM-1 (1 Viewer)

Maybe a bit late to the posts, but my wife and I bought OM-1 bodies last November and have been using them extensively, mostly with birds.
All I can say is, that it's simply an amazing tool for bird photography. While I have read mixed reviews of the bird detection and tracking, our standard settings use them with ALL area AF points and it does a very fine job finding, tracking successfully, even against mixed backgrounds.
Of course, it is not perfect, but it is simply the best camera we have used to date.
We love the ability to customise four custom modes.
My only gripe is that I would want the MENU button in the bottom right near the PLAY button for less cumbersome access, but it's not a biggie.
I am glad we ditched our heavy Canon gear 3 years ago, but realistically the OM-D E-M1X were just OK for us, not quite up to the Canon 1DxMkII in our views. Glad Olympus upped the game and developed the OM-1, it really is a game changer.
Cheers guys

Maybe a bit late to the posts, but my wife and I bought OM-1 bodies last November and have been using them extensively, mostly with birds.
All I can say is, that it's simply an amazing tool for bird photography. While I have read mixed reviews of the bird detection and tracking, our standard settings use them with ALL area AF points and it does a very fine job finding, tracking successfully, even against mixed backgrounds.
Of course, it is not perfect, but it is simply the best camera we have used to date.
We love the ability to customise four custom modes.
My only gripe is that I would want the MENU button in the bottom right near the PLAY button for less cumbersome access, but it's not a biggie.
I am glad we ditched our heavy Canon gear 3 years ago, but realistically the OM-D E-M1X were just OK for us, not quite up to the Canon 1DxMkII in our views. Glad Olympus upped the game and developed the OM-1, it really is a game changer.
Cheers guys
I'm about 1 month now with the OM1, a big upgrade from my Olympus EM1-II. The bird detection and tracking work very well, I'm beyond pleased with the keeper rate. My only issues with this are multiple birds in frame, which may require switching to a smaller, or s I ngle focus point. Not surprising. As with your experience, this is the best camera I've used to date.
All the best,

May be of interest: Just bought an OM-1, and the first thing I did was connect it up to OM workspace to make sure it was running the latest firmware. It told me the camera had the latest firmware 1.3 and required no update. I then linked it the OI.Share app on my phone which told me I was running version 1.3 and needed to update to 1.5. Not sure what's going on there?!

May be of interest: Just bought an OM-1, and the first thing I did was connect it up to OM workspace to make sure it was running the latest firmware. It told me the camera had the latest firmware 1.3 and required no update. I then linked it the OI.Share app on my phone which told me I was running version 1.3 and needed to update to 1.5. Not sure what's going on there?!
I'm running OM Workspace v2.2.2.
I did the last updates using Workspace (although I sometimes use OI.Share v1.2.3 iOS).

My OM-1's are both running FW v1.5.

OM System/Olympus joint update service page:

1.5 I believe is the latest.... easy to update...Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back