• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (3 Viewers)

Yes I have done the update on mine ,and also altered the the focus from 10 mtrs to infinity to 4 mtrs it doesn't seem to have impacted on focus speed either and saves having to fiddle with switches if a bird pops up in front of you .
The USB dock is a must have and I think sigma will add other stuff to it given time and feedback

couple more shots from todays jaunt after a local iceland gull .lovethe versatility of this lens more and more each time i use it .

Attachments

• don't make me laugh .jpg
    don't make me laugh .jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 101
  • icelandic airlines .jpg
    icelandic airlines .jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 123
  • on stony ground .jpg
    on stony ground .jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
As a side topic I see that Park Cameras are offering the Siggy 150-600 C at £899 for pre -order - it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Tammy 150-600.
ps. That gull in flight is nice Jeff.

As a side topic I see that Park Cameras are offering the Siggy 150-600 C at £899 for pre -order - it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Tammy 150-600.
ps. That gull in flight is nice Jeff.

As do Clifton Cameras. Also they appear to have reasonable financing terms. So, if the Contemporary is any good, I may take advantage of that. If not then the Sport becomes feasible - ish :smoke:

As do Clifton Cameras. Also they appear to have reasonable financing terms. So, if the Contemporary is any good, I may take advantage of that. If not then the Sport becomes feasible - ish :smoke:

The Sport is still difficult to get hold of, I will get mine in 2 to 4 weeks so the Contemporary coming out now seems a bit strange when they can't satisfy demand for the first lens released.

I'm guessing that they will both be produced on the same assembly line so it will be a case of manufacturing one or the other. If the bottleneck is elsewhere then producing a lens with fewer parts will make perfect sense.

The Sport is still difficult to get hold of, I will get mine in 2 to 4 weeks so the Contemporary coming out now seems a bit strange when they can't satisfy demand for the first lens released.

I'm guessing that they will both be produced on the same assembly line so it will be a case of manufacturing one or the other. If the bottleneck is elsewhere then producing a lens with fewer parts will make perfect sense.

Sadly I can't rush out and order either at the moment - the car needs more money than expected this year AND somebody has decided we need to have an early holiday this summer. By the time I get over that it will probably be Christmas anyway :-O

When you actually handle one Mick you can appreciate why there in short supply ,the build quality is far over and above anything that sigma have ever done before ,for instance I used the lock at 600mm yesterday for b.i.f it works perfectly but you can dis.engage it with a simple bit of pressure .personally I would class it as equal to or above canon L glass

When you actually handle one Mick you can appreciate why there in short supply ,the build quality is far over and above anything that sigma have ever done before ,for instance I used the lock at 600mm yesterday for b.i.f it works perfectly but you can dis.engage it with a simple bit of pressure .personally I would class it as equal to or above canon L glass

I already can't wait to receive the lens, you're making the wait feel worse and longer. :-O

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you are loving your new purchase and putting it to good use. I have a few questions for you.

1 - Have you done any direct comparisons between shots with the 400 5.6 plus a crop and the same shots with the Sigma at 600mm? If so, what are your findings?

2- How are you finding the weight difference between those lenses? How are you finding hand holding the very heavy Sigma?

3- Have you taken it on long walks, or been out birding with it all day yet?

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you are loving your new purchase and putting it to good use. I have a few questions for you.

1 - Have you done any direct comparisons between shots with the 400 5.6 plus a crop and the same shots with the Sigma at 600mm? If so, what are your findings?

2- How are you finding the weight difference between those lenses? How are you finding hand holding the very heavy Sigma?

3- Have you taken it on long walks, or been out birding with it all day yet?

hi isaac
1 - i have done plenty of shots in the past with the 400 f5.6 and 1.4 tc this lens excels in every possible way ,quicker ,sharper ,full use of all a/f points .

2- and 3 - the lens is obviously heavier even more so on my 1d3 BUT i initially thought it would be a tripod or monopod only lens ,its not once i adapted to a method of walk about with it (cradle it like a babe in arms) it has just become another walk about lens ,i estimate 90% of shots so far on my flickr stream and elsewhere have been taken hand held . i do take advantage of natural resting spots whenever possible but that was also the case with the 400 prime .
the i.s on this lens is seamless and faultless and can via the usb hub/dock be adjusted how it suits you ,likewise the focus speeds etc its just so versatile . another couple of shots below .the i.q just jumps out at you .i do need to use it more with the 70d though not my choice of weapons the crop factor and crop-ability etc helps even more .
3-+ yes had a few days of all day use out of it no problems to report ,its just another lens still lighter than a 500f4 .one thing of note sigma are developing /producing a far better arca type tripod/lens foot for it which will imho improve handling even more

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=498

Attachments

• wings at the speed of sound .jpg
    wings at the speed of sound .jpg
    153 KB · Views: 92
  • learning the game .jpg
    learning the game .jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
hi isaac
1 - i have done plenty of shots in the past with the 400 f5.6 and 1.4 tc this lens excels in every possible way ,quicker ,sharper ,full use of all a/f points .

2- and 3 - the lens is obviously heavier even more so on my 1d3 BUT i initially thought it would be a tripod or monopod only lens ,its not once i adapted to a method of walk about with it (cradle it like a babe in arms) it has just become another walk about lens ,i estimate 90% of shots so far on my flickr stream and elsewhere have been taken hand held . i do take advantage of natural resting spots whenever possible but that was also the case with the 400 prime .
the i.s on this lens is seamless and faultless and can via the usb hub/dock be adjusted how it suits you ,likewise the focus speeds etc its just so versatile . another couple of shots below .the i.q just jumps out at you .i do need to use it more with the 70d though not my choice of weapons the crop factor and crop-ability etc helps even more .
3-+ yes had a few days of all day use out of it no problems to report ,its just another lens still lighter than a 500f4 .one thing of note sigma are developing /producing a far better arca type tripod/lens foot for it which will imho improve handling even more

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=498

Thanks for the reply.

Few more questions.

Have you found image quality to be better on full frame compared to crop? Is that why you use 1d3 more, or just because it is a better camera?

Do you shoot it wide open or stop it down? Find it sharper when stopped down to f8 or just as good at 6.3? Does that change from full to crop?

Thanks for the reply.

Few more questions.

Have you found image quality to be better on full frame compared to crop? Is that why you use 1d3 more, or just because it is a better camera?

Do you shoot it wide open or stop it down? Find it sharper when stopped down to f8 or just as good at 6.3? Does that change from full to crop?

at this moment in time i think i'm going to have to start using the 70d more ,its a bigger crop factor 1.6 as opposed to 1.3 ( 1D3 not full frame) plus its 20.2 mp as opposed to 10.1 .i love my 1D3 its lovely to handle and sure footed but is starting to show its age with this lens ,plus i,m not 100% certain yet that it doesn't need a twitch on the m.a can't get consistent results ,but the weather here is not playing ball either ,when this last batch of shots were taken it was a howling gale and the front of the lens catches the wind .so its work in progress .

the lens is razor sharp wide open (look at exif data) BUT as your probably aware the depth of field is limited especially with closer subjects so i have found either 7.1 or f8 is best .

the lens will also a/f with a 1.4 canon t.c with no problems on the appropriate body

at this moment in time i think i'm going to have to start using the 70d more ,its a bigger crop factor 1.6 as opposed to 1.3 ( 1D3 not full frame) plus its 20.2 mp as opposed to 10.1 .i love my 1D3 its lovely to handle and sure footed but is starting to show its age with this lens ,plus i,m not 100% certain yet that it doesn't need a twitch on the m.a can't get consistent results ,but the weather here is not playing ball either ,when this last batch of shots were taken it was a howling gale and the front of the lens catches the wind .so its work in progress .

the lens is razor sharp wide open (look at exif data) BUT as your probably aware the depth of field is limited especially with closer subjects so i have found either 7.1 or f8 is best .

the lens will also a/f with a 1.4 canon t.c with no problems on the appropriate body

How does it work with the 1.4x? f6.3 would go to f9. Is there a big loss in IQ?

I have many quite a few people and seen many reviews that say that f8 the Sigma and Tamron are about the same. If you are using f8 mostly then that seems to be a reason to not switch from the Tamron. Heavier, twice the price and no realy IQ advantage at f8. Shooting at 6.3 and keeping sharpness still interests me a great deal. As does being able to use a 1.4x. 840mm plus a 1.6 is very good for about $2,500, especially if there is no real loss in IQ. That really seems to me to be the only major advantage of the Sigma assuming you use f8 most of the time.

That's a huge assumption to make Isaac , not yet really got my teeth into what it's really capable of I can tell you that the i.q is far superior to the tamron I used though .its still very early days and once warmer weather moves in I will get more use ,every single user is stunned with it from what I'm reading in posts .you do well with your tammy but to be honest you are the exception from what I hear around .
As I said before its work in progress I feel a change to the 70d with a similar sensor to the 7dmkii is the way forward I will post one from that in a bit .your best bet is to find somewhere to test a siggy and go from there.
I have read all the associated problems that people have had with the tammy in general ,with b.i.f and other focus issues ,none seem to apply to this lens that I can see anyway.
one with the 70d below speaks for itself really

Attachments

• met this foreign bird last week .jpg
    met this foreign bird last week .jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
That's a huge assumption to make Isaac , not yet really got my teeth into what it's really capable of I can tell you that the i.q is far superior to the tamron I used though .its still very early days and once warmer weather moves in I will get more use ,every single user is stunned with it from what I'm reading in posts .you do well with your tammy but to be honest you are the exception from what I hear around .
As I said before its work in progress I feel a change to the 70d with a similar sensor to the 7dmkii is the way forward I will post one from that in a bit .your best bet is to find somewhere to test a siggy and go from there.
I have read all the associated problems that people have had with the tammy in general ,with b.i.f and other focus issues ,none seem to apply to this lens that I can see anyway.
one with the 70d below speaks for itself really

not to start another issue but it is not an assumption. I have posted a few videos where people said the same. Also read many reviews where people have said that at f8 they are equal but below that they Sigma has the advantage.

I hope you are correct about the image quality as I still would love to get this lens if I see image quality the beats what I am getting with the Tamron. Bring on the warm weather...

isaac old chap just go on my full flickr stream as i go on yours ,its easier to weigh it up from there than just nit pick on here .i think anyone with decent eyesight can see the jump in i.q from my pre-sigma shots to the latest ones ,and as time progress's it can only get better .and also don't forget a lot of peeps will just buy the lens and expect it to turn them into a pro tog ,it won't happen you need to know what your doing to start with ,and have you asked the doubters that only you seem to know if they have done the firmware upgrades via the usb dock and if they have made any alterations to the settings etc something you CANNOT do with a tammy .and what makes this a superior wildlife lens .

isaac old chap just go on my full flickr stream as i go on yours ,its easier to weigh it up from there than just nit pick on here .i think anyone with decent eyesight can see the jump in i.q from my pre-sigma shots to the latest ones ,and as time progress's it can only get better .and also don't forget a lot of peeps will just buy the lens and expect it to turn them into a pro tog ,it won't happen you need to know what your doing to start with ,and have you asked the doubters that only you seem to know if they have done the firmware upgrades via the usb dock and if they have made any alterations to the settings etc something you CANNOT do with a tammy .and what makes this a superior wildlife lens .

Do you find that the better IQ is across all focal lengths? Or more so at the higher range? I found when I got the Tamron that my shots got better. I think much of it had to do with needing to crop less. The extra 200mm made a big difference. Now I am used to the lens and find it so versatile (not just the Tamron but this zoom as well) to be able to have 150-600 available at any time.

So do you think this lens is sharper than the 400 5.6? Or the increased IQ the result of less cropping? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a clear increase in IQ on your page. Only looked briefly but there were some cracking shots with the 400 5.6 of the Common Merganser, a Mallard and a Fieldfare. As usual, the shots in better light and when you are closer are better than the others in dim light which is true of every lens. And not nitpicking, just trying to really see what you think and how it compares to your prior experiences and how your opinion compares to what I have read and watched others say. I trust your opinion and respect it which is why I am asking you.

looking through your flickr stream isaac ,you seem to be able to get a extremely good result from your combo of camera and lens and i doubt that anything i can post will convince you to change ,if we were stood shoulder to shoulder in the same conditions with the same cameras and settings and the two lenses side by THEN you might see a difference but unless that happens (highly unlikely ) then further comment is totally pointless .as has been pointed out to you by numerous people the light conditions we shoot under are completely different .so unless you want to pay for me to visit you in either new york or preferably florida then further rhetoric is pointless :-0)
north wales is very scenic though we even have two airports nearby ......

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back