• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

getting this thread back on track ,i have today bought a sigma 150-600 os sport plus usb dock ,it should hopefully be with me on monday ,flipping weekends getting in the way of deliverys LOL .
time and weather permitting i will be using it from then on and try and be as objective as possible with the results ,i first have to figure out whether its better on the 1D3 at 780mm effective focal length or on the 70d at 960mm effective focal length with there obviously different sensors and limitations
the test hour i had with one in december has obviously swayed my decision and if this copy turns out to be near as good i will be very pleased .
i do realise that i am now going to have to change my style to with less walkabouts looking for targets days
you will no doubt be hearing from me further T.B.C

getting this thread back on track ,i have today bought a sigma 150-600 os sport plus usb dock ,it should hopefully be with me on monday ,flipping weekends getting in the way of deliverys LOL .
time and weather permitting i will be using it from then on and try and be as objective as possible with the results ,i first have to figure out whether its better on the 1D3 at 780mm effective focal length or on the 70d at 960mm effective focal length with there obviously different sensors and limitations
the test hour i had with one in december has obviously swayed my decision and if this copy turns out to be near as good i will be very pleased .
i do realise that i am now going to have to change my style to with less walkabouts looking for targets days
you will no doubt be hearing from me further T.B.C

Very much looking forward you putting it in good use!

cheers mic ,i think you already know i will ,and ashley will also be appraising it with a view to getting one for his nikon d810 .
and looking at sigma rumors the C could be announced properly feb 13th

Well done Jeff for making the jump it will be good to hear your views. So I take it that your keeping hold of the 400 for the time being while comparing with a view to sell.

Well done Jeff for making the jump it will be good to hear your views. So I take it that your keeping hold of the 400 for the time being while comparing with a view to sell.

only for a week or so paul ,just to ensure everything is o.k .having already tested one of them thanks to a sigma rep i know just how good they really are .
as far as i,m aware despite the fact that various places are listing them on websites as available this was the only one that i could actually find for sale in the u.k i got it from SRS microsystems in watford who i have dealt with in the past .
that was also backed up on thursday night by sigma announcing that fact on there sigma rumors website .amazon u.k are giving a expected waiting time of between march and july .

of note i also saw a nikon mount one on e/bay last night allegedly from someone in london listed at over £300 more than i paid ????

Yes I've seen that one priced at £1739 or something I was following one from Watford so might be the srs one, I'm still a bit on the fence to be honest thinking sigma and getting used to extra weight or taking a hit on the wallet with the 100-400 IS ii.

yes that would be the one i bought paul ,as i said i used one hand held for around a hour at a demo-show in colwyn bay north wales ,and although you know its on there i did find it was reasonably well balanced as well .yes it can be hand held but not for long periods .the i.q even in bad weather was a dream though. and it will more than likely lead to a change in my style of photography but you can't have it all ways .

a contact of mine on flickr has had the 7d2 and 100-400mm mkii on hire for a week and while she liked the camera is less than enthusiastic about the lens

if you look on the sigma rumors site you will see that they have hinted that someone might have cottoned on to the fact that you can get a sigma mount 150-600 on amazon for circa £1300 and have had the mount changed by sigma to either canon or nikon LOL

Last edited:
lens arrived this morning ,extremely pleased so far ,apart from the weather here has been dull and overcast all day here is one practise shot hand held with it but its not in good light .
i have also been tied up doing surgery to my tripod as i found the mounting plate to be a bit wobbly under the weight ,so have altered it to a flush mount fitting which is much better ,thank god for a engineering background and a decent workshop

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8035.jpg
    IMG_8035.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 118
  • first tester .jpg
    first tester .jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 177
i have just tried mine with a canon 1.4 mkii t.c and the a/f is fine at 600mm and playing around earlier today using the 10mtrs to infinity limiter the lens focussed as fast at 600mm as a canon 400mm f5.6 prime ,its obviously slower at full focus range but thats not what its designed for .just waiting for a bit of decent weather to try it properly the freezing fog has been hanging over head for 3 days now ,not a breath of wind either .
to sum up on a 1.6 crop sensor you get a maximum of 960mm range .
and with a 1.3 crop sensor thats f8 enabled you get a maximum of 1092mm with full a/f

Any news yet on the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Isn't it due out this month?

Do we know its weight yet? Similar to the Tammy 150-600?

I read a post somewhere on the internet saying that the IQ in the centre of the frame is intended to be as good as on the Sigma Sports, but less good in the corners. If that is true then it should still be a good birding lens on a Crop camera body.

lens arrived this morning ,extremely pleased so far ,apart from the weather here has been dull and overcast all day here is one practise shot hand held with it but its not in good light .
i have also been tied up doing surgery to my tripod as i found the mounting plate to be a bit wobbly under the weight ,so have altered it to a flush mount fitting which is much better ,thank god for a engineering background and a decent workshop

Looks really good lots of detail .
Rob.

hi
nick im using a kenko 300dgx at the moment
hi black fox
what f stop do you get with the converter fitted as mine reads f9 and i thought it should be f8 or is that only with the new sigma 1.4 converter
chris

hi
nick im using a kenko 300dgx at the moment
hi black fox
what f stop do you get with the converter fitted as mine reads f9 and i thought it should be f8 or is that only with the new sigma 1.4 converter
chris

hi chris i got f9 as well but the crux of the matter is it still auto focussed o.k ,not sure if doing the updates will alter that at all though .

Any news yet on the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Isn't it due out this month?

Do we know its weight yet? Similar to the Tammy 150-600?

I read a post somewhere on the internet saying that the IQ in the centre of the frame is intended to be as good as on the Sigma Sports, but less good in the corners. If that is true then it should still be a good birding lens on a Crop camera body.

according to what i have seen its going to be lighter than the tamron and come in at a competitive sub £1000 pound price ,reading between the lines the japanese camera show is friday ,so thats when i expect a annoucement ,we will see .

thanks jeff
i think you just saved me the price of a new sigma converter
hopefully well have good weather on the weekend to go out and play with new toys
chris

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back