• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to the delights of Mull (1 Viewer)

waddojohn

is it a bird or a plane, can't see without my glas
Hi Guys,

I have been told that a visit to Mull is a must for raptors, so this is going to be my very first visit from the 22-26th May. Can anyone give me any advice as to whereabouts on the Island or which boat trips to take to fill a four day visit, I will be staying in Tobermoray.

Thanking you for your time and any help

Cheers
John

Hi John

Four days isn't long enough:-O you'll love it and will want to return again... and again and...8-P

Here's the Opus article which gives lots of hints and at the bottom is a link to the excellent Mullbirds website.

D

Thanks you Delia and Geoff,

Unfortunately I wish I could have stayed for longer, all the more reason for coming back.

Thank you for all the information

Best Regards

John

Mull's great, I went there with Discover the World (although looking back if I'd booked various parts of the trip separately I could have saved money).

No doubt much of this will be covered in the articles and websites mentioned above, but in addition to a land safari around the island on which we saw Short-eared Owl, Peregrine, White-tailed Eagle, Hen Harrier, Otter, and many other species, we did the whale watching trips with Sealife Surveys (their boat and skipper has been featured on a few BBC programmes over the years), and it was second to none.

They gave us almost a full day on each trip, and this included trips to the Treshnish Isles for numerous seabirds including Puffin, Manx Shearwater and Pomarine Skua on passage. Plenty of views of Minke Whales, Common Dolphins, Harbour Porpoises and if you get a chance to visit the Cairns of Coll take it, as they're some of the most peaceful locations you'll find in the UK.

The good thing about them is they're actively involved in research, counting and recording the cetaceans seen, so you can contribute to this too.

Yes you were Right

Hi Guys,
You were indeed right, i will have to come back and be better prepared, as my Bigma 50-500mm lens for my camera developed a fault and was difficult to focus (I dont use AF at all) so its now getting repaired. On our last day before going to get the ferry, we get some of the best ever views of the Goldie struggling with its prey, and my wife and myself were the only ones there to witness the event. The Goldie took about 20 mins of zig zag flying to get its prey to the nest with lots of stops on the way up. Its prey was a black faced Lamb, I have had to really over crop to get the image as the bird was a long way from my position, if you know the spot you know the difficulty.
Thank you again for all your help
Regards

John

Last edited:
John,

Glad you had such a great time on a beautiful island. Can I politely suggest you edit the above post so as not to disclose a breeding location of a schedule 1 species.

Thanks,
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back