• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravids coming (1 Viewer)

Had an opportunity to (briefly) compare 8×32 Ultras with 8×32HD's.

Firstly, I will say that I am not a bino expert. I have only ever owned 3 pairs although I am in the market for a good quality 8×32 or 7×42. Only Leica's I have are the excellent 10×25.

Weather was cloudy and grey but dry. I wear spectacles for reading but not for distances. Could I notice any difference in the view - to be honest no, I don't think so. At the time of viewing I thought the HD's may have been slightly clearer but on reflection this may have been because I was expecting the view to be better because it is a new model rather than any real difference.

The focus wheel did not feel any different, but then I have never had any problem with this on my 10×25's. What I would say though is that to me they "feel" a cracking pair of binos when you hold them.

I did look at similar Zeiss and Swaro models at the same time. My opinion has always been that (to my eyes) there is virtually no difference between the leading brands and my past preference for Leica's has always been on the basis of the "feel" of them rather than anything more tangible. This is even more so now with the HD's.

Would I pay the premium for the HD's over the Ultras? I would say no, but I will have another look in the New Year.

My local shop now has 8×32HD's in stock. Hope to get a chance to look through them later this week - if I can finish my Christmas shopping first!

Hi Nick - which shop is this? I'm in the market for a pair of the 8x42HD's, if they are as Leica suggest... Finding it hard to find anywhere that has them in stock yet.

I had the chance to look through the 10x32 HD model at my local shop and was surprised that the improved focus wheel issue had not fully been addressed.

Really! Oh, that's a massive, massive disapointment. I really liked the old Ultravids optically but hated the terrible focus mechanism, which just wan't precise enough for me - I like a smooth focus, which is the least one should expect for that money...

After all the hype from Leica saying they have fixed the issue, to hear they might not have done is a real disapointment...

... Really! Oh, that's a massive, massive disapointment. I really liked the old Ultravids optically but hated the terrible focus mechanism, which just wan't precise enough for me - I like a smooth focus, which is the least one should expect for that money...

After all the hype from Leica saying they have fixed the issue, to hear they might not have done is a real disapointment...

Let's hope it was an individual anomaly. My 10x32 HDs, pre-ordered in September, are due to arrive here on Wednesday, the 26th. I'll be sure to post an immediate analysis of the focussing mechanism for smoothness and responsiveness. A short time later I'll post a detailed user's optical review compared with my 18 month old 10x32 Ultravids.

Stay tuned, mi amici
Robert / Seattle

I reckon the focus on the HD will feel pretty much the same as the Ultravid and The Trinny's before. If they are better it will be by a miniscule amount. Methinks it is a marketing strategy or PR spin - they will be using better dics or materials but in terms of performance this will be negligible.

If you didn't like the old Ultravids I wouldn't hold your breath re- the HD's !

We will have to wait and see. I am sure they will still be amazing binoculars but this said it seems there is no pleasing some people. ;-)

Let's hope it was an individual anomaly. My 10x32 HDs, pre-ordered in September, are due to arrive here on Wednesday, the 26th. I'll be sure to post an immediate analysis of the focussing mechanism for smoothness and responsiveness. A short time later I'll post a detailed user's optical review compared with my 18 month old 10x32 Ultravids.

Stay tuned, mi amici
Robert / Seattle

Hey Leicanauts,

They just arrived, two days early no less. The focus knob is smooth as silk, totally responsive and engages the mechanism immediately without any excess play whatsover. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Other features to be compared and reviewed soon ...

Merry Christmas, indeed!

Robert

Robert,
Dying to hear first impressions of these. Test drove the standard 8x42 Ultravids last week and loved the feel. HD version might be the ticket. Happy holidays, must be having fun!

Robert,
Dying to hear first impressions of these. Test drove the standard 8x42 Ultravids last week and loved the feel. HD version might be the ticket. Happy holidays, must be having fun!

Jacquot,

Haven't had time for my studied comparisons yet, due to Christmas and all. But first impressions, since you asked: Oh, My, God! This 10x32 HD is one slick unit.

More as soon as possible, I promise,

Robert

Last edited:
Your correct on the focus side of things, the pair of 8 x 32 HDs that I briefly tried were better but only slightly - personally I would not describe it as silky smooth, but it was fine to use. Image wise, I found (when doing a side by side comparisson) that the HD lenses do make a postive marginal difference....as one would always hope for in a Leica optic, brighter, punchier - it was as good as I hoped for. However, not enough to part with the FLs, now the new scope may now prove irresistable when it arrives!

Hi Pyrtle
I am more surprised that Leica would put out such a "positive" fix regarding the focus wheel when in truth it has not been fully sorted.

The interesting thing about bins is the fact that my father who owns Trinovids cannot detect any play in the wheel in either his own or my Ultravids yet I can detect them to the same level in his and mine, and in the new HDs, to the exact same extent.

The interesting thing about bins is the fact that my father who owns Trinovids cannot detect any play in the wheel in either his own or my Ultravids yet I can detect them to the same level in his and mine, and in the new HDs, to the exact same extent.
Bizarre...maybe you've got loose knuckles?;) A lot of these things are down to the user rather than the machine, though (I reckon).

I recently used my notchy focus, CA-challenged, titanium-encumbered Ultravid 7X42 in bitter, driving rain for the better part of an afternoon. I enjoyed a superb day of birding, due in no small part to the flawless performance of the Ultravid.

John

Hi John
Understand the analogy but if I told you that my Ultravids are away for repair for armour separation and whilst I was out in the driving rain watching a local Great Northern Diver I was surprised to find that the focus mechanism was the least of my problems as they started to fog up internally.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102445

Pleased you have a faultless pair John maybe do a trade?

Last edited:
Hey Leicanauts,

They just arrived, two days early no less. The focus knob is smooth as silk, totally responsive and engages the mechanism immediately without any excess play whatsover. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Other features to be compared and reviewed soon ...

Merry Christmas, indeed!

Robert

Well, here's some initial observations as promised. I must say at the onset that these (10x32 HD) are truly awsome binoculars - but try as I might I cannot discern any performance differences between the HDs and the earlier Ultravid (18 months old, in my case).

10x32 HD vs. 10x32 pre-HD:

Focus Knob: I never had a focus mechanism issues with my original Ultravids except that after a long period of use in very warm weather there might be a touch of play in the knob before engaging the gear drive. This would invariably go away after the binoculars returned to more normal working temperatures, and was never more than a theoretical annoyance as function was never impaired. So it remains to be seen whether or not the HD will perform better under those conditions, or if it may prove to be more durable over time (My 8x42 Ultravid BLs went in for a focus knob tune-up and all is now well. My 8/12x42 Duovids have always been smooth as silk and totally responsive). Suffice it to say, the HD focus is fine, even great, but I was fortunate enough to find the older version equally fine, so no real gains or losses there for me except for the as yet undetermined durability-over-time factor.

Brightness: Here's the greater surprise - I can tell no difference whatsover. Both are outstanding, but one would have expected the HD to be visibly more so. It is not.

CA: Have only been able to test both in overcast conditions, so far. Neither showed any CA whatsoever. I'll do more comparisons when bright or harsh lighting conditions return.

AquaDura Coatings: I suspect this may be the single most significant "improvement". I'm not about to splatter mud and grease on either to see which one cleans up faster - but there is some real peace of mind knowing that the HD will require cleaning less often, and therefore be less prone to the wear and tear of routine cleaning.

All in all -- well worth the money, at least the US prices. But if you've already got a working pair of "older" Ultravids there is absolutely no reason to "trade up". In fact, for those of you who would like a new Leica my advice to you would be to get one of the remaining pre-HD models from existing (and dwindling) inventory, and save yourself a few hundred dollars for what is, performance-wise, essentially the same binocular.

The new HDs are slick, make no mistake about it. I just wish the "wow factor" was demonstrably higher in comparison with my older model. I'm happy to have replaced my favorite and most heavilly used configuration, but will not be replacing any of the remaining sizes in my possession.

Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

Very interesting indeed, thanks!

I tested the non-HD 8x42 Ultravids at Cameraland last week and loved their size and handling, they felt great in the hands, everything just felt right. The focus on those had a very slight play, but was smooth, and the view was very easy. Unique glass for 42 configuration in a roof prism.

If the hydrophobic coatings are the only advantage, I'd take the discount.

BTW, I've found overcast skies to be a great test for CA, dark branch against that sky, I see it every time if it's there. I'd say do a comparison for detail, the HD glass should make for a cleaner image, yielding more detail and color subtlety, at least it does--IMHO--in the Zeiss FL.

David

Thanks Robert, I trust your take on this. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your new bins, but I reckon you've saved a lot of us a lot of angst on this (and confirmed what a lot may have suspected). Does this mean the optics envelope has been pushed to its limits?

Brightness: Here's the greater surprise - I can tell no difference whatsover. Both are outstanding, but one would have expected the HD to be visibly more so. It is not.
I did not think that there was supposed to be a difference in brightness

The new HDs are slick, make no mistake about it. I just wish the "wow factor" was demonstrably higher in comparison with my older model. I'm happy to have replaced my favorite and most heavilly used configuration, but will not be replacing any of the remaining sizes in my possession.
Try them in a situation with distinct colors, especially in the blue range and see if there is any significant difference in color quality or gradations.
Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back