• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

PT

Our last bike was a BMW R90/5 and before that an R60/6 (see pic).

We really fancy that GSA too but we carry too much gear these days.

Lee

Very nice R60, I thought about buying an airhead a million times, just never pulled the trigger. I had a chance at a nice R100LT and for some reason balked on it. Regretted it the minute I heard it sold.

On a KLR 650 now, but the last bike was a GL1800 Goldwing. I kept the 1800 for 8 years, had the 650 probably that long now.

Sorry for going off topic.

Attachments

• P1010010-1_zps8f936229.jpg
    P1010010-1_zps8f936229.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7581.jpg
    IMG_7581.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 67
Very nice R60, I thought about buying an airhead a million times, just never pulled the trigger. I had a chance at a nice R100LT and for some reason balked on it. Regretted it the minute I heard it sold.

On a KLR 650 now, but the last bike was a GL1800 Goldwing. I kept the 1800 for 8 years, had the 650 probably that long now.

Sorry for going off topic.

That's me leading you astray PT.
Like your KLR too. The R90 was full of grunt but the R60 was sweeter and if we could magic one back now it would be the R60. The pic was taken on our way to the Shetland Islands by the way. :king:

Lee

I wouldnt say I have owned a lot, but I am 58 years old and have owned one since I was 10 years old. I've had right shift, left shift, one up four down, one down four up, four straight down with a neutral at the end. I have had off roads, sport bikes, cruisers and tourers. I have ridden 1,000 miles in a day and I have gone months with out riding. I will say like binoculars, no bike does it all.

My current bike might hit 100 without all the tank bags, panniers, trunk and windshield on it, but then I couldnt carry what I wanted. These days I'm in the rides far camp instead of ride fast. If you see this trunk, say hi.
I will. It would be hard to miss that trunk. That looks like a very cool highway in the right picture. It looks hot though.

That's me leading you astray PT.
Like your KLR too. The R90 was full of grunt but the R60 was sweeter and if we could magic one back now it would be the R60. The pic was taken on our way to the Shetland Islands by the way. :king:

Lee

If I was riding by myself, the R60 would get snatched up in a second, or if I lived in a little closer area to where I want to be riding two up. I'm afraid by the time I and my better half loaded it up with windshield and gear it wouldnt be able to run the interstates easy. It is probably a 10 hour ride from here going west to just run thru the doldrums. And it's miserable to run west Texas without some form of windshield. Last two times we ran thru Van Horn we were bucking 35 mph headwinds. 12 hours in the saddle in a big headwind is a killer for enjoying the ride.

The KLR is a good bike, but I cant have a set schedule when I ride it. Great on farm to market and dirt/gravel roads, passable on state highways on days the winds are in the 20 mph range, and absolutely terrifying on 75 and 80 mph interstates with any kind of cross wind at all. But it is an explorers dream. I use it to wander, any where any time as long as your in no hurry. It's great for following history.

The Goldwing was a beast, 80 mph all day long two up with two people and a weeks worth of gear. From sea level to 10,000 ft, 10º to 105ºf, it didnt care. In 60,000+ miles I put 2 batteries, 6 sets of tires and an air filter on it. It roamed from Alabama to California, from the gulf to Las Vegas, 10 day 4,000 mile trip was a piece of cake, never even checked the oil. But on a gravel road, it was as terrifying as the KLR is on the interstate. Above 30 mph it was light, a fat gal who could dance like a ballerina.

I think in the places you would ride, the R60 would be a dream.

I just read review in Allbino from one of the user. He mentioned that SF lacks in contrast, definition, difficult to read small letters at distance and too bright during sunny day for comfort. Overall impression was good for only low light situation. Also there were questions on build quality.

Any input from team on it.

Sanjay

I just read review in Allbino from one of the user. He mentioned that SF lacks in contrast, definition, difficult to read small letters at distance and too bright during sunny day for comfort. Overall impression was good for only low light situation. Also there were questions on build quality.

Any input from team on it.

Sanjay
Here is the review:

User: J.JIMENEZ
IP 193.152.x.x
Date: 2015-07-29 14:22:22
Owner since: 6 months
Price: 2200 euros
User profile: Amateur

Cons: Low contrast compared to LEICA AND SWAROVSKI. Low definition, distant birds and letters are not very well defined, the outline of objets are not so clear. Too bright view on sunny days. The view looks a little bit overexposed killing the contrast. Feels weak, Rubber armour not very well glued to binocular body more and more feel it loose.
Pros: Hue field of view. The same detail can be seen with zeiss leica and swarovski so identical resolution but lower quality with objets outline definition.
Summary: Better for cloudy days and low light conditions.

My biggest concern with this review is his saying distant bird and letters not well defined. The binocular feels weak and the rubber not being glued to the body comment are not good either. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Here is the review:

IP 193.152.x.x

Cons: Low contrast compared to LEICA AND SWAROVSKI. Low definition, distant birds and letters are not very well defined, the outline of objets are not so clear. Too bright view on sunny days. The view looks a little bit overexposed killing the contrast. Feels weak, Rubber armour not very well glued to binocular body more and more feel it loose.
Pros: Hue field of view. The same detail can be seen with zeiss leica and swarovski so identical resolution but lower quality with objets outline definition.

My biggest concern with this review is his saying distant bird and letters not well defined. The binocular feels weak and the rubber not being glued to the body comment are not good either. Hmmmmm.

Doesn't that new word, hilaric, apply here? 3:)

Here is the review:

IP 193.152.x.x

Hmmmm
Here are a couple of professional reviews:

http://www.birdwatchersdigest-digital.com/birdwatchersdigest/july_august_2015#pg1
http://www.binomania.it/recensione-zeiss-victory-sf-il-re-del-birdwatching/

And here is a review from an experienced amateur:

An experienced amateur’s review:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=307596

Or you could browse these remarks from owners:

Not only is the SF's field of view extraordinarily wide, but it's also sharp edge to edge.

Colour reproduction and contrast are also excellent.

The SF is really faster in focus: easy focusing on flying birds
-The balance and grip is excellent

Sharpness across the field of view- the 8x42 is outstanding

For me the SF is the perfect binocular

Got mine a few days ago I can say that the Victory SF 10x42 binoculars are exceptional.
- Optics are stunning
- The usability and focusing are fantastic
- very light

because of the balance and weight distribution of the SF it "feels"lighter and that is immediately obvious when you take an SF in your hands.

I was surprised by how light in weight the pair were, and well balanced they are, despite the length of the barrels

I consider the Victory SF 10x42 spectacular bins and I have never used anything better

However everything about the bino is flawless, Fast focus is a real delight to get on birds FAST! Flat field across the view Colors simply real

We have gotten no SF's returned from any customer for any reason

At this moment we received 6 SF's which are sold to very satisfied customers.

Surely the finest 8x42 roof currently available.

the sharpness of our 10x42 SFs is equal to our 10x42 Swaro SVs.

I find that the SF has very natural colours and brightness

SF has an edge as sharp as they come

Did a comparison between SF 8x42, SV 8,5x42, FL 7x42 and SV 8x32 today.
The overall winner to me is clearly the SF:s.

I use my SF 8x42 for astronomy, and I haven't noticed any central astigmatism.

OMG! The field of view is amazing—much wider than my Nikon.

The weight distribution is a huge improvement—because they naturally tilt upwards, they feel lighter than they really are.

The more I used them, the more they impressed me. And then, of course, there's the Zeiss optics. Brilliant, yes. At the end of the weekend, I really did not want to give them back.

They really are everything Zeiss says they are. And more.

delightful instruments and a pleasure to use. Optically they are stunning

SF is Sharp, very Sharp almost to the limit of FOV

SF has the most real color reproduction of any bin i ever tried (including my 10x42 SV )

Is very VERY well corrected for CA far away of my leica ultravid

for me SF is even better than SV

the best on this Zeiss is the 3D and Pop in the view…It has some of the character that only can be found in the best porro bins, For me this 3D and huge FOV are the big advantages of SF

The focus on the Swaro was excellent, but in my opinion, the SF was even better. can't remember a more precise and yet smooth focusing mechanism. the SF felt noticeably lighter than the Swaros, more so than the actual 45g difference in specs.

If something happened to your 10X42 Swarovision, would you replace it with another of the same or would you change over to the the Zeiss SF 10X42? Thanks, good question. In my opinion the SF has technical 2 pros which I like : it is sharper and has a larger FOV

The thing that will absolutely astound you is the pronounced 3d effect,the most i have ever seen in a binocular,bags more than my zeiss nobilem 10x50 porro.Makes everything else seem flat in comparison and leaves a very vivid impression ,you just want to keep picking them up and use them on anything.

The Nikon EDG is still an excellent binocular but I prefer the SF for some of the same reasons that I prefer the SF over the SV.

Hmmmm.

Lee

Last edited:
Ok so one negative review from an unknown user outweighs all the positives...........seems right to me !

Hi Guys !!!!!!!

Good afternoon.

Well i was reading all the professional reviews and............whats the difference ?

Binomania says what i say before.....lowest contrast on SF

Other review say SF sharp to the edge ?? well sharper than previous victories it is but to the edge......be serious did you try it ?

SV has more corrected FOV and a gentle degradation towards the end and on SF this degradation is more pronounced......but has biggest FOV.

This unknow user (ME ) is a Semi professional Photographer who knows a little bit of optics.

I been using HIGH END bins all my life and my current bins are.

My lovely Zeiss Oberkochen 25 series 10x50 Binocular of the century.

Zeiss 10x40 bgat , zeiss 8x30 oberkochen

Carl zeiss jena nobilen spezial 12x50 and Carl zeiss jena 7x50.

Swarovski SV 10X42 and swarovski SLC 15X56 HD

Leica ultravid 8x42 BL already sold and waiting for an Leica ultravid plus 10x50.

Anybody think that i don't like ZEISS ;);)

I know some will say this is a minor aspect yet I would appreciate an answer from those who have used the SF for some time: I believe such long bins will bounce and swing quite a bit at the end of a neck strap carried around one's neck, but I might be wrong (I have tried the SF 10x42 but only in a shop and without any neck strap or harness). Peter.

I still feel that everyone else is still chasing Swarovski for the optical quality. It see,s what Swarovski has achieved 5 years ago with EL SV, ZEiss is trying to achieve that now with SF and still seems not at par. Weight balance and ergonomics, all seems to be very subjective and to me is not too great a stuff. SF is nothing but to make one like EL and off course 5 year time is long enough to catch up and add some funda of weight balance.

I can be wrong here but that's what I feel.

Sanjay

Hi GLOBETROTTER:

So you were the "unknown user"...I would rather say that you are a well known user! Personally I respect your opinion: different people see different things. I do not want to put more gas on fire (John: this is the link to the bike chat...) but when comparing the SF 10x42 to SV 10x42, I could not see that the SF's sweet spot was as large as SV's.

Peter.

I know some will say this is a minor aspect yet I would appreciate an answer from those who have used the SF for some time: I believe such long bins will bounce and swing quite a bit at the end of a neck strap carried around one's neck, but I might be wrong (I have tried the SF 10x42 but only in a shop and without any neck strap or harness). Peter.

When testing I didn't find the SF swinging any more than EL. I have my neck strap adjusted quite short and I recommend always having one hand on your bins.

Lee

Hi Guys !!!!!!!

Good afternoon.

Well i was reading all the professional reviews and............whats the difference ?

The difference is that the reviews look at all aspects of the bins and give an overall assessment of the instrument. The difference is that I have referenced the entire reviews and anyone interested can read all of the comments both good or bad.

Pulling individual comments out of context, whether critical or complementary, do not give a balanced overall assessment, but apparently this is what some people love to post. I am only seeking to provide balance.

Lee

Last edited:
Stop the binoculars nonsense. I'm interested in more bike chatter. :cool:

At least the bike chatter isnt incessant whining. If denco was truly serious he would have bought one by now and either tried it and returned it or kept it. The constant whining lies in a fact that I think it was Lee brought up a comment that to have less than the best marks the owner as a loser. His whole self indentification is tied up in what binocular he owns.

I think his fear is, if he bought one and didnt like he would haave to pump it before the dump, that might cause a loss of esteem for the swaro. Terrible fix to be in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back