• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Well, most of the 699 posts on this thread have been about the SF's focuser, so if nothing else, Zeiss has created a lot of "buzz" by naming the bin after its focusing system. The potential downside to that, however, is unless the focusing system delivers something unique and superior to other bins at its price point (well, there's only one other bin, the SV EL, at its price point, so let's revise that to "at the alpha level"), there could be a backlash. "It's a ruse!" or SF = Slow Focus, which has become Chosun's mantra.

OTOH, if the focusing systems turns out to match the Great Expectations (that is, the marketing), Yanks will be selling their second homes and Brits will be selling their caravans to buy one.

The time is nigh.

Brock

I understood the real estate market is the US was slow, but that slow;)

Well, the 8x32 is specified with close focus of 2m, the SF with 1.5m. The fl may work closer for you than specified, but perhaps the SF will too. All speculation before real comparisions anyway...

If the spec of 1.8 turns for the SF is correct, unless 0.8 of those turns is used to cover the first 0.5 m of focusing (I think not), it isn't much of a stretch to discern that the focus of the SF is slower than the FL.

For butterflying+birding, the FL has proven near perfect for me and others. It is rapid but more precise than the Nikon 8x32 LX or the B&L 8x42 Elite, both of which cover the same range with less focus travel and with more damping, making it harder to be precise with distance focus (the potential downside of a rapid conventional focus design). Those bins are great for dedicated butterfly watching.

--AP

Last edited:
If the spec of 1.8 turns for the SF is correct, unless 0.8 of those turns is used to cover the first 0.5 m of focusing (I think not), it isn't much of a stretch to discern that the focus of the SF is slower than the FL.

For butterflying+birding, the FL has proven near perfect for me and others. It is rapid but more precise than the Nikon 8x32 LX or the B&L 8x42 Elite, both of which cover the same range with less focus travel and with more damping, making it harder to be precise with distance focus (the potential downside of a rapid conventional focus design). Those bins are great for dedicated butterfly watching.

--AP

Alex

I agree the FL is a wonderful piece of kit and I use my 8x32 about 1/3 of my binocular time.

Mine takes around 1.2 turns from near to far (HT takes about 1.4).

Lee

Alex

I agree the FL is a wonderful piece of kit and I use my 8x32 about 1/3 of my binocular time.

Mine takes around 1.2 turns from near to far (HT takes about 1.4).

Lee

Is that 1.2 for the 8x32? Are you nearsighted and use them without glasses? I ask because for mine, from close limit to infinity is just under 1 turn with the 8x32 FL.

--AP

Sheer Folly?

Well, most of the 699 posts on this thread have been about the SF's focuser, so if nothing else, Zeiss has created a lot of "buzz" by naming the bin after its focusing system. The potential downside to that, however, is unless the focusing system delivers something unique and superior to other bins at its price point (well, there's only one other bin, the SV EL, at its price point, so let's revise that to "at the alpha level"), there could be a backlash. "It's a ruse!" or SF = Slow Focus, which has become Chosun's mantra.

OTOH, if the focusing systems turns out to match the Great Expectations (that is, the marketing), Yanks will be selling their second homes and Brits will be selling their caravans to buy one.

The time is nigh.

Brock

Brock, my usual mantra is: Om Mani Padme Hum, or Buddha is the jewel in the Lotus flower ..... o:D

As far as the SF is concerned it well could be, Superfluous Frippery .... or Silly Financials .....

Certainly I resent having to pay the Marketing Department for the bunkum they have come up with ..... I mean really "7th Sense"? --- doesn't sound all that common to me ..... "Dynamic"? --- compared to what? --- the Swaro? Your 96 year old Aunt Maud and her Zimmer frame replete with hi-vis orange flag on top?!

I think the best hope for Zeiss is that the focusing turns out to be innocuous and doesn't detract too much from what looks to be an otherwise nice bin. How much better value could it have been bringing it in UNDER 2K with a standard focuser - even mid speed between the FL and HT; save on all the marketing fluff and sell boat loads more to boot - thus amortizing R&D easier, raising profitability and market share beyond what this uber priced bin will achieve.

If it's one thing that sells better than glowing reviews and word of mouth - it's sheer numbers out in the field (free advertising - woohoo!! :) .... The ex-Marketing Department could try sticking that in its pipe and ..... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Brock, my usual mantra is: Om Mani Padme Hum, or Buddha is the jewel in the Lotus flower ..... o:D

As far as the SF is concerned it well could be, Superfluous Frippery .... or Silly Financials .....

Certainly I resent having to pay the Marketing Department for the bunkum they have come up with ..... I mean really "7th Sense"? --- doesn't sound all that common to me ..... "Dynamic"? --- compared to what? --- the Swaro? Your 96 year old Aunt Maud and her Zimmer frame replete with hi-vis orange flag on top?!

I think the best hope for Zeiss is that the focusing turns out to be innocuous and doesn't detract too much from what looks to be an otherwise nice bin. How much better value could it have been bringing it in UNDER 2K with a standard focuser - even mid speed between the FL and HT; save on all the marketing fluff and sell boat loads more to boot - thus amortizing R&D easier, raising profitability and market share beyond what this uber priced bin will achieve.

If it's one thing that sells better than glowing reviews and word of mouth - it's sheer numbers out in the field (free advertising - woohoo!! :) .... The ex-Marketing Department could try sticking that in its pipe and ..... :smoke:

Zeiss already has an entry level bin in the Terra ED and a second-tier competitor in the Conquest HD, and an SLC-HD competitor in the HT. I think it's clear what they are aiming at with the SF is an EL KILLER! Bringing in the guy who designed the EL is proof of that.

If you are going to outdo the SV EL, you can't just make an open bridge roof with field flatteners in the EPs, otherwise, what you have is a clone, a wannabe. What you need is something special to make it better than the EL. And EL PLUS.

For some, the lack of "rolling ball" alone will make it that.

The EL is popular and well established, so you just can't compete, you got to beat. Those who simply must have the best no matter what it is will eat the "bunkum," worms and all. But the optics nuts on BF, CN and Optics Talk and birders from Missouri won't so easily get persuaded by marketing mumbo jumbo. If the SF doesn't perform as specified (it might be difficult to test the "7th sense" claim, they will have to call in a panel comprised of Stephen Hawking and Shirley MacLaine ;)), but if it is better than the EL in verifiable way(s), the non-brand loyalists will tell us. The fanboys you can ignore.

Brock

Last edited:
Zeiss already has an entry level bin in the Terra ED and a second-tier competitor in the Conquest HD, and an SLC-HD competitor in the HT. I think it's clear what they are aiming at with the SF is an EL KILLER! Bringing in the guy who designed the EL is proof of that.

If you are going to outdo the SV EL, you can't just make an open bridge roof with field flatteners in the EPs, otherwise, what you have is a clone, a wannabe. What you need is something special to make it better than the EL. And EL PLUS.....

Brock

Are you saying that Zeiss should go to a 4 tier strategy?! :eek!:

Or should they just make the SF BETTER in all ways (Including CHEAPER! :)) ..... :cat:

Are you saying that Zeiss should go to a 4 tier strategy?! :eek!:

Or should they just make the SF BETTER in all ways (Including CHEAPER! :)) ..... :cat:

No, I'm not saying either, but now that I think of it, Swaro is getting beat in both the second tier (Conquest HDs are by most accounts better than the Swaro CLs) and at the entry level (where Swaro has no bins).

Once the SF comes out, Zeiss will be competing against the SLC-HD with the HT and the SV EL with the SF.

What Ziess lacks is a worthy competitor at the compact bin level.

Although some people seem to like the one-hinge design, it seems at least as many people don't like it, besides its a 20mm vs. the CL Pocket's 25mm. Perhaps after the SF launch, the Zeiss compacts will be redesigned.

Brock

Actually I'd like a 9x36SF with 140m Fov, sub 20oz, fast 1.33 turn focuser and sub$1500 in a nice brown armour with matte copper highlights - thank you very much!

Btw, I'm pretty sure that Swarovski regards both the SV and the SLC as at the same top tier - just different "flava's" ..... and I'm certain that they regard the CL as "entry level" !! :eat: .... :cat:

Holy :smoke: !!
Wotz up wit all da stuf bout da "Lightweight reinforced fiberglass housing" ??!! ..... :cat:
You'd think for well north of 2 an a half G they'd get the advertising right --- or is it a case of where there's :smoke: there's fire!

And still with the Super "Fast" Focus system ...... well I 'spose it is in comparison to those poor 2.5 turn owners ONLY 3:)

The truth is out there ....... :brains:

I have not read every word of this thread, so perhaps this has been posted already, but Piergiovanni Salimbeni of Binomania posted some vacation comments on the SF (and what its competitors now have to do) in his August editorial:

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?page_id=6488

Carry on,

David

Nice add - thanks David.

I'm sure a little is lost (or is that added?! :) in translation, but still Pier waxes lyrically nonetheless .... it will be interesting to see the Swaro, Leica, and (Kowa) responses --- it seems the door is open for lightweight Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer bodies anyway! :king:

Wotz up wit all da stuf bout da "Lightweight reinforced fiberglass housing" ??!! ..... :cat:
You'd think for well north of 2 an a half G they'd get the advertising right --- or is it a case of where there's :smoke: there's fire!

And still with the Super "Fast" Focus system ...... well I 'spose it is in comparison to those poor 2.5 turn owners ONLY 3:)

fiberglass housing is good news!
for keeping the weight down, reinforced fiberglass worked well in the FL:s,
and considering the size/length of the SF I was a bit puzzled on the low weight stated,
the use of fiberglass might be the explanation, and hopefully zeiss have calibrated their scales since the HT-release…

;)

So, after 700+ posts, has anyone actually used the new Zeiss SF? The more I read from other sources the more interested I am.

What is odd is that Zeiss announced in the press release back in
May, the body of the new Victory SF is made of metal.

The fiberglass construction from the retailers site is interesting.
Both sources say 780 grams, and so they maybe could not reach
that low of weight with metal.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back