• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie to Nest boxes! (1 Viewer)

LadyH

England
Hi everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»
I recently moved into a house with a lovely garden with a nest box on the fence just near the house shielded by some trees. Some blue tits nested and mum and dad were busy feeding noisy chicks until about 3 days ago when all activity stopped. The nest is quiet and I haven't seem Mum and Dad at all. According to Google it seems too early for fledging. Could it be a magpie that's been taking over the feeder in the garden or one of the neighbours cats or do they sometimes just leave? Having come from a fairly built up area I was so excited to see the progress of this nest box and am now a bit sad that my first experience of a nest box has potentially ended in tragedy šŸ˜”

Hi LadyH and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm so sorry to hear about this but can't really tell you what has happened as there could be many reasons. It's quite common unfortunately. Magpies will take the eggs and nestlings if they can get into the nest, as will cats. The adults may have been been disturbed too often, killed by vehicles, cats or a Sparrowhawk or just been unable to find enough food for the youngsters.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi LadyH and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm so sorry to hear about this but can't really tell you what has happened as there could be many reasons. It's quite common unfortunately. Magpies will take the eggs and nestlings if they can get into the nest, as will cats. The adults may have been been disturbed too often, killed by vehicles, cats or a Sparrowhawk or just been unable to find enough food for the youngsters.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for your reply. What a shame, fingers crossed for next year. Can I remove the box and clean it out now do you think or should I leave it until after the summer?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Iā€™d leave cleaning until the autumn.

Hi. I have something similar happen but I believe the chicks have fledged. The parents have been busy feeding the young the last 2 weeks or so and a few days ago the moved further away calling the chicks trying to entice them out. I didn't see the chicks and now all is quite. I know it's probably very early for fledgling but hopefully that's what happened and all is good!!!!

Hi. I have something similar happen but I believe the chicks have fledged. The parents have been busy feeding the young the last 2 weeks or so and a few days ago the moved further away calling the chicks trying to entice them out. I didn't see the chicks and now all is quite. I know it's probably very early for fledgling but hopefully that's what happened and all is
Hi everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»
I recently moved into a house with a lovely garden with a nest box on the fence just near the house shielded by some trees. Some blue tits nested and mum and dad were busy feeding noisy chicks until about 3 days ago when all activity stopped. The nest is quiet and I haven't seem Mum and Dad at all. According to Google it seems too early for fledging. Could it be a magpie that's been taking over the feeder in the garden or one of the neighbours cats or do they sometimes just leave? Having come from a fairly built up area I was so excited to see the progress of this nest box and am now a bit sad that my first experience of a nest box has potentially ended in tragedy šŸ˜”
I checked my bluetit nesting box and no chicks inside so maybe they just started earlier and fledged earlier so same might have happened yours hopefully

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back