• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300mm F4 AFS with Nikon TC2III ???? (1 Viewer)

Finlayson

Nowadays I prefer a glass of wine.
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my posts on BF.

I use a D300s + Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM, I have a Sigma 1.4 TC but do not use it due to slow AF performance particularly in low light conditions. I often use a tripod and even remote shutter release, I am however getting frustrated with the IQ that I am achieving but conceed that technique is a contributing factor !!!.

I am thinking of Buying a Nikon 300mm F4 AFS ( sadly the budget does not stretch to a 300mm F2.8 ) paired up with a Nikon TC 1.4 which seems to get good reviews as a combination with total reach of 420mm X 1.5 crop sensor = 630mm.

Question, does any one have experience of the Nikon 300mm F4 AFS with the Nikon TC2III ? which would comensurately increase reach to 900mm, I have read some encouraging comments on the performance of this latest Nikon TCIII.

Many thanks in advance, I do value all input.

John Finlayson.

The Mk111 gives good IQ with the 500mm f4,( I have no experience of the 300mm f4). AF is sometimes slow, certainly not good for BIF I wouldn't think but I found the performance better on the 2.0 TC Mk111 than the 1.7 TC Mk11.
The 1.4 will give both good IQ and decent AF performance.

Dave sorry to contradict but I wouldn't recommend a 2x on the 300/4, the 1.7 is doable though

steve could well be right about the 1.7 on the 300f4. this shot was taken with this combo in really bad light.

Attachments

• green heron.jpg
    green heron.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 271
Dave sorry to contradict but I wouldn't recommend a 2x on the 300/4, the 1.7 is doable though

I agree with you Steve too. The 1.4 and 1.7 at f8 give good results. Ivan use the 2tciii and have autofocus on a D800 but not on a D300s.

John I have several images with the 300mm f4 and all the TC's at my D800 Flickr link below.

steve could well be right about the 1.7 on the 300f4. this shot was taken with this combo in really bad light.

I think the 1.7x is often overlooked Dave. This photo shows what it can do and matched with the 300/4 gives good reach.
Neil.

Can you autofocus with the 1.7 TC? I thought AF was only possible up to f5.6. I am interested as I use the 300mm f4 + 1.4TC as my walkabout combination and apart from the short reach I'm pleased with it.

Although Nikon state that certain tc's are only suitable with certain lenses they do so to cover themselves against poor performance compared to other combinations.Both the 1.7 and 2.0mk 111 will af on an f4 lens depending possibly on which body you use. My D300s would AF , albeit slowly especially in contrasty situations, with both TC's on a 500mmf4 VR. I found the IQ on the 2.0 superior to cropping the shot of the 1.7 to a similar size.
Canon currently stop all but their top of the range 1D series of bodies from being able to af above f5.6. They have promised to release firmware to allow the 5DMk111 to achieve AF in a few months time. An interesting decision by Canon both to deliberately prevent AF then make a U turn on one particular body.

Last edited:
Im going the 1.7 route with my 300 f4 and d600.

There is an interesting post over on birdphotographers.net that talks about the new sensors showing up in cameras and the ability of the these sensors to maintain a wide dynamic range up to iso 1600 and even iso 3200.

That works perfectly for for the what would become an f6.8 lens wide open. You can still stop down a bit, set the d600 (d800) to iso3200 and your shutterspeed to something you can manage and fire away. I havent tried this yet, but there is pretty impressive examples of black images on the internet be 'fixed' in post.

My point is - the new sensors appear to be making good lenses like the 300 f4 even more attractive.

If anyone wants links, let me know - being lazy right now :-O

Hi Guys, thanks to every one for the input and food for thought

To summerise ....

With my D300S the Nikon 300mm F4 + Nikon 1.7 Tc would appear to be the longest reach adviseable whilst maintaining effective AF.

Any final comments or observations before my decision to flex the plastic ??

John.

...I use a D300s + Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM, I have a Sigma 1.4 TC but do not use it due to slow AF performance particularly in low light conditions. I often use a tripod and even remote shutter release, I am however getting frustrated with the IQ that I am achieving but conceed that technique is a contributing factor !!!.

Well, to point out the obvious if your long lens technique hasn't improved since your original post do you think a new lens will make a difference? The Sigi 150-500 can be a good lens on the D300s if you shoot it a F8, 1/800sec and Auto ISO. Unfortunately 1/800sec usually means you will need to shoot above the D300s' IQ max ISO800. The only real solution to improved IQ is a new body with significantly better high ISO performance than the D300s. For Nikon DX shooters, that means a D800 now.

Last edited:
Well, to point out the obvious if your long lens technique hasn't improved since your original post do you think a new lens will make a difference? The Sigi 150-500 can be a good lens on the D300s if you shoot it a F8, 1/800sec and Auto ISO. Unfortunately 1/800sec usually means you will need to shoot above the D300s' IQ max ISO800. The only real solution to improved IQ is a new body with significantly better high ISO performance than the D300s. For Nikon DX shooters, that means a D800 now.

Thanks for your comments RJM.

Since my original post was on 8th Nov. my technique will hardly have changed ;)

My budget is such that a new D800 is out of the question, but in moving to prime glass Nikon 300mm F4 AFS with corresponding TC surely the results with my D300s will benefit over Sig 150-500, technique is a constant ?.

So, my question remains Nikon 1.4 or 1.7 TC ?.

As always all comments greatly appreciated.

John.

Ah well, a visit to WEX Norwich today and a new 300mm F4 AFS IF ED + Nikon TCii 1.4 purchased.

Hopefully I will get out with it at the weekend .... thanks to all that contributed.

John Finlayson.

Sorry to weigh in late but you are making the right call with the 300 and 1.4 teleconverter. The issue we run into is adequate light levels. Even higher ISO is not a panacea as you lose dynamic range with high ISO levels.

I use the 1.4 teleconverter quite willingly, and the 1.7 and 2.0 III only in a pinch. The new 2.0 is quite good - about the same image quality as the 1.7. But the loss of light is an issue so you have to be careful about using the more powerful teleconverters.

Ah well, a visit to WEX Norwich today and a new 300mm F4 AFS IF ED + Nikon TCii 1.4 purchased.

Hopefully I will get out with it at the weekend .... thanks to all that contributed.

John Finlayson.

Excellent choice. Exciting news. Nice Nikkor boxes about the place. Have a happy weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back