• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon 500 f4 lens (1 Viewer)

steve.hinchliffe

hi
i have got the chance to get my hands on a nikon 500 afs f4 prime
lens but without vr and i was wondering if anyone out there has
any experience of this setup and do you miss the vr facility.
this setup would be used on tripod not handheld with d300
any advice would be welcome
cheers steve

hi
cheers steve

been using the same setup for over a year now, great lens.
see pics here, (nearly 1000 shots posted with setup since July 2008)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/revs45/sets/72157606390917322/

|:D|

hi
cheers steve

Been using one for 10 years now on both film and digital Nikons, it's the lens of dreams!!! Stick a TC14E behind it and it's magic, a TC20E slows it down a bit but when you need it it delivers. I've even handheld the 500 and 1.4 for flight shots, it's the business and locks on solid, still got to watch for camera shake though on slow speeds. Stick the same combination on a D300 or D3 and up the ASA to a couple of thousand or more and the shakes have gone.

nirofo.

Reading your post you seem to be wondering most about the lack of VR on the lens you are considering buying. Have no fear -get it. The lens will be used on a tripod for almost all of its time if you are sensible and therefore VR is of limited value. I have been using a 600mmf4 for a few years now and, in conjunction with a D3 have no issues with lack if sharpness. VR is not a gimmick but will not make a huge difference over a lens on a tripod. Save up for a Wimberley or Sidekick.

just look at all the fantastic photos of past & present taken without VR being available,,

Derry

I normally have the VR switched off anyway when using on a tripod, even when using the 1.4x tele. I do use it with the 1.7x though. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back