• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 500mm lenses (1 Viewer)

have had a lot of success with a Sigma 500/4.5 even on v dull days. a decent tripod and head helps alot.

Attachments

• waxwing-h&s.jpg
    waxwing-h&s.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 288
  • waxwing-1.jpg
    waxwing-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 357
New Lens Purchase

Richard, i have a Nikon 600 f/4 and used to have a Sigma 50 to 500, but there is no comparison in quality, and in a write up in Nikon's pro mag some one says that the new 600 f/4VR IS lighter than the mk2, it is in fact heavier as quoted both in my manual at 4750g and the VR IS over 5000g, so if you can still get a mk2 i would go for that model, i got mine from Mifsuds in Devon for £3800, and as you have to use this lens with a tri pod, so regarding being steady it makes no difference to a good shot and allot cheaper.

Malc

Last edited:
hey guys,just read this thread as iam thinking of getting the nikkon 500,just wondered if any of you have read any reveiws of the new x2 convertor,wich iam thinking of getting with the lense,also noones mentioned the fact that when you might decide to upgrade yr body the zoom will be in effect cut down a little?? but a very inteteresting topic! i currently have the sigma 50-500 and find it a bad fit on the nikon d300,just wondered if anyone else has noticed this??

cheers.................. ;)

hey guys,just read this thread as iam thinking of getting the nikkon 500,just wondered if any of you have read any reveiws of the new x2 convertor,wich iam thinking of getting with the lense,also noones mentioned the fact that when you might decide to upgrade yr body the zoom will be in effect cut down a little?? but a very inteteresting topic! i currently have the sigma 50-500 and find it a bad fit on the nikon d300,just wondered if anyone else has noticed this??

There is a thread on the 2x. No it won't work with AF.
The 1.7x and 1.4x do a good job.
Neil

Old thread, but, Duke Leto-- great Waxwing shots!

I've read that with the 500 + TC20E II the autofocus is marginal, so I wouldn't expect much improvement with the TC20E III. I don't have either, but I think for my needs, the 1.7 will be a better fit. If you have lots of light, I imagine the AF with the TC20E would be fine. Image-wise, early returns seem to say that the TC20E III is better than the II, but it's not a breathtaking difference. Looking forward to more data...

Jim

I realise this is an old thread but I intend buying the 500mm F4 VR and reading all the posts here has made me think.

Having thought about this...........

I just know that if I purchased a 300 with the converter I would be very happy with it for a month or so and maybe even a year, but then would come the doubts. What type of images would I be able to get if I used a 500 with a 1.7 converter and eventually I just know I would be kicking myself.

So I am still determined to get this lens and am looking around for the best location to buy one. :)

I realise this is an old thread but I intend buying the 500mm F4 VR and reading all the posts here has made me think.

Having thought about this...........

I just know that if I purchased a 300 with the converter I would be very happy with it for a month or so and maybe even a year, but then would come the doubts. What type of images would I be able to get if I used a 500 with a 1.7 converter and eventually I just know I would be kicking myself.

So I am still determined to get this lens and am looking around for the best location to buy one. :)

You won't regret getting the 500/4 AFS VR and with a little bit of weightlifting you should be able to carrying it around all day on a monopod on your shoulder. You can also use the new 2x on it with slow AF. Add the D7000 or D300s and you have some good reach.
I always check prices on B and H in New York and find Hong Kong prices are similar.
Neil.

You won't regret getting the 500/4 AFS VR and with a little bit of weightlifting you should be able to carrying it around all day on a monopod on your shoulder. You can also use the new 2x on it with slow AF. Add the D7000 or D300s and you have some good reach.
I always check prices on B and H in New York and find Hong Kong prices are similar.
Neil.
US prices are approximately £600 cheaper than UK prices and Hong Kong prices are about £800 cheaper all minus taxes, import duties etc.

I have found one Hong Kong site that will sell me a 500mm lens for the same price as a USA lens which would include all import taxes but it is an awful lot of money to part with and not have the security of a UK warranty, so I am going ahead with the expensive UK option :(

At present I have a Sigma 500mm lens which I have to hand hold and last night I managed to get a decent image of the International Space Station (very small) and with the Nikon VR system I am looking forward to taking advantage of being able to use slower speeds, plus of course finally being able to use a converter.

Hopefully in practical terms I am hoping the weight difference will be neglible

All nikon lenses have a worldwide warranty, it's the bodies that don't if you have any questions call nikon who will confirm it,

All nikon lenses have a worldwide warranty, it's the bodies that don't if you have any questions call nikon who will confirm it,

Hi Duke,
I understand what you are saying but and it is a big BUT...

I am not prepared to gamble with such a large amount of money.

I am led to believe that in the US Nikon glass comes with a 5 year warranty, here in the UK it only comes with a 12 month one. Same lens manufactured by the same company at the same location.

Also again I understand that if I take a lens to be repaired and it lacks the 'CE' stamp, then I will get short thrift and told to take the lens back to the country of origin.

My choice is to buy the lens from my local photographic shop who I have dealt with for years and if it goes wrong, then I have the peace of mind that they will deal with it as efficiently as possible.

This thread refers to the location that offers the cheapest UK price. Would you honestly gamble your hard earned cash after reading such a thread? The first page is quite reassuring but by crikey the downward slope after that is practically a vertical line :eek!:

I had never heard of that company and just assumed it was a UK based store, but I am not prepared to take that risk just to save less than £200 on something that costs all but £5900... The risks in my opinion just do not add up.

I have just received an e-mail saying my lens will hopefully be in stock later this week :t:

Thank you for the post and I do take on-board what you have taken the time to post

Regards
John

Its not a gamble, its fact all Nikon Optics have a worldwide warranty, my 300/4 AFS came from the far east about 3 years ago and the AF motor failed, Nikon UK replaced it under warranty. (check back in the threads and see the other story re my AFS motor failing after about 55 weeks)

Cut from the Nikon UK website
International Warranty

This applies to conventional equipment (lenses, film based cameras, Speedlights)

• Your Nikon equipment is guaranteed against any manufacturing defects for one year from the date of purchase.
• The warranty card is issued only at the time of original purchase; it is non-transferable.
• The warranty card must be presented to the Nikon Service Facility before any repair can be made under warranty.
• Establishing the original purchase date should be made by the original consumer purchase via the sales slips, or other evidence.
• Damage caused by accident, misuse, do-it-yourself repairs, sand, grit or water is not covered by this warranty, which is only valid at a Nikon Service Centre.
• All mail or transportation costs including insurance are at the expense of the owner. All other claims of any nature are not covered*.

*Nikon will not be held liable for damages or lost profits resulting from a malfunction of our products.

or if you still think its a gamble read it here

As for the comment "My choice is to buy the lens from my local photographic shop who I have dealt with for years and if it goes wrong, then I have the peace of mind that they will deal with it as efficiently as possible"

With all Nikon big guns in the event of repair unless your local shop is a Nikon Pro Dealer listed here
its more than likely that it will have to go back to Nikon UK any way as most shops won't touch them, again I found this out last year when my 400/2.8 needed repairing. If your local store isn't on the pro list ask them what they do if your lens needs servicing / repairing, strike that as Mifsuds are a Pro dealer

As for the thread, I have bought from simply electronics and found them to offer super service, I replaced my Nikon TC-14eII from them only last month.

I have no problems with what any one buys from where but just get your facts right before posting, this isn't met to be hash so apologies if it comes across wrong, its just fact based on my own dealings with Nikon.
PS I like Mifsuds and have used then occasionally and found there service to be very good and a Nikon TC-14eII works very well with a Sigma 500/4.5

Cracking lens that 500/4vr you'll have loads of fun using it

Last edited:
Hi Duke,
Thank you very much indeed for supplying the link and I reckon it is simply confirming what I have previously said. Please note the capital letters in this text are extracted as is from that Nikon Link:

1. THIS IS THE EUROPEAN ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (VALID IN THE AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, HUNGARY, ITALY, NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, POLAND, RUSSIA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, UNITED KINGDOM). YOU MUST PRESENT THIS FORM TOGETHER WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE AND PROOF OF PURCHASE DATE (BILL OF SALE) TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE. Should your Nikon product require warranty service, please contact the dealer from whom it was purchased or a member of our authorised service network in European countries.

Note how they describe it as a European one year limited warranty and note that word 'limited' and where it is valid

You are very lucky to have your NON European lens repaired by Nikon UK and this is all about choice. I have purchased my Sigma Macro Flash from a Hong Kong based company and made a saving of £100 which percentage wise was well worth the risk.

All European equipment will have the CE mark and without that any manufacturer is well within their rights to refuse to carry out ANY repairs that are within a European warranty.

You may disagree with that and I accept that but I personally am not going to pay such a large amount of money for so little reward. there is NO economic sense.

Mifsuds are selling a second-hand 500mm lens in mint condition for less that the price asked by Simply Electronics and their lens comes with a six month warranty. That to me is a better risk, but me being me, I want peace of mind for as long as possible. I am envious of the US five year warranty but we are where we are.

The Far East no doubt has their warranty, Europe has their warranty and the US has theirs and from what I read, they are all specific to the relevant area and I doubt very much if in two years time I was in the USA and my lens had a terminal fault I could go to the nearest Nikon dealership and get my lens repaired or replaced for free under the terms of the US warranty?

From what I have read, Nikon UK are within their rights to tell you to send your lens back to the Far East and have them carry out any repairs under the terms of their warranty as opposed to a lens that carries the CE mark and which comes under the European umbrella?

It is all academic because late this afternoon I received a call from Mifsuds stating the latest delivery has just arrived which includes my lens :)

With all Nikon big guns in the event of repair unless your local shop is a Nikon Pro Dealer listed here
its more than likely that it will have to go back to Nikon UK any way as most shops won't touch them, again I found this out last year when my 400/2.8 needed repairing. If your local store isn't on the pro list ask them what they do if your lens needs servicing / repairing, strike that as Mifsuds are a Pro dealer

Apologies I missed that bit.

Thanks for posting that list and yes Mifsuds is thankfully on it :)

Thank you very much for the post and PLEASE accept that I appreciate your comments

Second edit
I noted how I said I purchased a lens when it was actually a flash

Last edited:
Hi Duke,
Thank you very much indeed for supplying the link and I reckon it is simply confirming what I have previously said. Please note the capital letters in this text are extracted as is from that Nikon Link:

1. THIS IS THE EUROPEAN ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (VALID IN THE AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, HUNGARY, ITALY, NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, POLAND, RUSSIA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, UNITED KINGDOM). YOU MUST PRESENT THIS FORM TOGETHER WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE AND PROOF OF PURCHASE DATE (BILL OF SALE) TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE. Should your Nikon product require warranty service, please contact the dealer from whom it was purchased or a member of our authorised service network in European countries.

Sorry that bit refers too

Nikon European Service Warranty - Digital Imaging Products only

This applies to Digital equipment (digital SLRs, COOLPIX compacts & Coolscan film scanners).

Not Lenses

So when I bought my Nikon D200 4 years ago ish from the far east Nikon UK refuse to allow me to register it or have a UK warranty, in that case I took out a 3rd party warranty, but its never been in the shop.

Last edited:
I am glad to have read the last few posts as I was unaware that my lens has a 5 year warranty. I had always thought it appalling that such an expensive item was only covered for one year !
cheers Dave

Excellent comment Rioja,

I'm not hung up over a certain lens. It's a trade off between price, portability, reach and aperture. In Northern Ireland at this time of year the light is a very important factor. We just don't get that many days when light is good.

The idea of a 300mm f2.8 is very interesting. If I can stick on a 1.7 or 2.0 TC that may be better than going for a 500 VR. Anyway they seem very hard to get at present. The Nikon dealers are mostly saying "Nikon stock problem".

I very much welcome all your advice. Thanks everyone!

Richard

Reach will be the issue if a 300mm is used. If you can afford the price range of Nikkor 5oomm, then better get the 500mm for flexibility and 600mm for reach.

I heard that both the newest VR version of Nikkor 500mm and 600mm are sharper than their previous version. This is important if you would like to add a teleconverter in a relatively poor light environment. Moreover, the use of an IR cut filter helps to get a clearner picture in a misty environment.

Thankfully I did not have long to wait for my main stockist to get a new supply of the 500mm Nikon lens, but my thoughts are that if you settle for the 300 with converter then will you be like me and end up saying,

"If only!"

If you are after reach and can afford the 500, then to me it is a no brainer. Putting a converter onto the 300 will increase that reach but by crikey, putting a converter onto the 500, will give you even more.

My thoughts are I can NEVER have a lens powerful enough for my requirements, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.

However the Nikon lens is excellent although not perfect.

I tend to hand hold my camera and the 'hand grip' on the Sigma 500 is far more comfortable than the Nikon which in turn highlights the weight difference between these two lens. The Nikon is not only slightly heavier than the Sigma, but it feels heavier.

The 300 2.8 is no doubt an amazing lens but with modern digital cameras that can easily handle higher ISO settings have folks considered trying the Sigma 500mm F4.5 instead of that great Nikon lens?

Thankfully I did not have long to wait for my main stockist to get a new supply of the 500mm Nikon lens, but my thoughts are that if you settle for the 300 with converter then will you be like me and end up saying,

"If only!"

If you are after reach and can afford the 500, then to me it is a no brainer. Putting a converter onto the 300 will increase that reach but by crikey, putting a converter onto the 500, will give you even more.

My thoughts are I can NEVER have a lens powerful enough for my requirements, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.

However the Nikon lens is excellent although not perfect.

I tend to hand hold my camera and the 'hand grip' on the Sigma 500 is far more comfortable than the Nikon which in turn highlights the weight difference between these two lens. The Nikon is not only slightly heavier than the Sigma, but it feels heavier.

The 300 2.8 is no doubt an amazing lens but with modern digital cameras that can easily handle higher ISO settings have folks considered trying the Sigma 500mm F4.5 instead of that great Nikon lens?

Bird photography isn't just about reach though is it ? There are many occasions when you can have too much as well as too little. That's why the 300f2.8 and it's ability to take all three Nikon TC's makes it versatile.
The other assets the f2.8 has over the 500mm ( Nikon and I'm sure Sigma's too) are superb bokeh,lightening fast AF, a wider field of view and enough portability to lock on to a target when hand held very quickly.
As I have said before, I have both the 300mm f2.8VR and the 500mmf4VR. If one had to go it would be the 500mm, but yes I too think about the 600mm and should I have bought that instead !
cheers Dave

Last edited:
Bird photography isn't just about reach though is it ? There are many occasions when you can have too much as well as too little. That's why the 300f2.8 and it's ability to take all three Nikon TC's makes it versatile.
The other assets the f2.8 has over the 500mm ( Nikon and I'm sure Sigma's too) are superb bokeh,lightening fast AF, a wider field of view and enough portability to lock on to a target when hand held very quickly.
As I have said before, I have both the 300mm f2.8VR and the 500mmf4VR. If one had to go it would be the 500mm, but yes I too think about the 600mm and should I have bought that instead !
cheers Dave
I totally agree and it is all about horses for courses. I have the 200mm lens and if required use a converter to take it up to approximately 600mm?? (I have the D300), but I would NEVER. ever sacrifice my 500 for the 300mm, BUT.... You are perfectly correct in what you say and we all have different choices and our debates will hopefully stimulate thought before action :t:

rioja;2106003There are many occasions when you can have too much as well as too little. That's why the 300f2.8 and it's ability to take all three Nikon TC's makes it versatile. [/QUOTE said:
I have only once been in a position where reach was to much. All my other experinces was it was to little.

I am fortunate enough to have a 400f2.8 and with a converter it puts me at 550f4. Thats about how good it gets for me.

As a carry around lens I use the 300mmf4 with 1.4TC.

I can ask for no better combo.

Regards

I cant say the 400/2.8 is versatile as its too heavy so having used the 300/2.8vr its a much better all rounder, yes I too have the 2 Nikon TC's but I cant ignore that a straight 600/4 has to be better than my 400 with a TC. A friend with a 1.4 on his 600 is always going to be better off than me with with a 400 and 2x tc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back