• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII... new (1 Viewer)

oleaf

It's dark now and I was only able to steal an hour or so at a local marsh
to get a feel for the EIIs that just arrived.

I can honestly say I did not really grasp what “sharp” was in a binocular… now I know. The view was hyper real (that’s the only way I could describe it).

I’ve been looking for a FOV that was wide, neutral and sharp. All that I could ask for wrapped up in a small, lightweight – so ugly it’s cute – package.

When someone says the view is equal to the top Swaro, Leica, Zeiss (maybe not the 7x42 FL’s though) they are not overselling it. Yes… the edges are a softer than the SE, but that softness starts where the SE’s FOV ends… so it doesn’t matter.

The bad (for me anyway as I wear glasses) is eye relief is shallow.
When I first took the EIIs out I did not use my glasses as I wanted to delay the heartbreak that I knew was coming. The view is like being transported instantly to where you look. Sounds funny… but true.

Deep breath… glasses on… lift binos… heavy sigh. Crap. Now, I’m really careful with my eye glasses yet I did something I’ve never done. I took those nose pads and spread them as wide as I could. Now with my glasses plastered to my face I slowly raise the EIIs and slowly open my eyes (now when I say plastered to my face I mean I almost slipped the lenses under my eyelids!) and what did I see?

Field stops! I can see at least 95% of the field.

I’ll add more over the next couple days.

Last edited:
It's dark now and I was only able to steal an hour or so at a local marsh
to get a feel for the EIIs that just arrived.

I can honestly say I did not really grasp what “sharp” was in a binocular… now I know. The view was hyper real (that’s the only way I could describe it).

I’ve been looking for a FOV that was wide, neutral and sharp. All that I could ask for wrapped up in a small, lightweight – so ugly it’s cute – package.

When someone says the view is equal to the top Swaro, Leica, Zeiss (maybe not the 7x42 FL’s though) they are not overselling it. Yes… the edges are a softer than the SE, but that softness starts where the SE’s FOV ends… so it doesn’t matter.

The bad (for me anyway as I wear glasses) is eye relief is shallow.
When I first took the EIIs out I did not use my glasses as I wanted to delay the heartbreak that I knew was coming. The view is like being transported instantly to where you look. Sounds funny… but true.

Deep breath… glasses on… lift binos… heavy sigh. Crap. Now, I’m really careful with my eye glasses yet I did something I’ve never done. I took those nose pads and spread them as wide as I could. Now with my glasses plastered to my face I slowly raise the EIIs and slowly open my eyes (now when I say plastered to my face I mean I almost slipped the lenses under my eyelids!) and what did I see?

Field stops! I can see at least 95% of the field.

I’ll add more over the next couple days.

yep, know what you mean i have two 10x35 e11s and one pair of se 8x32s, i never got on with the image in roofs. :t:

Last edited:
When I first took these 8x30 bins out of the box I noticed a big chip in the powder coat
paint on the bridge and a dent in the frame. As these were new old stock I figured I could live with this.

At the same time I also noticed two slits in the pebbled cover on the top of each barrel. I thought these were made in the manufacture process.

It was easy to overlook these cosmetic flaws as the bins were so nice.

But I noticed a problem in the close focus that led me to the assumption that these were dropped hard on a table edge or something similar. (see chip and slits)

The close focus is great (7 ft)

But… if I bring the focus to minimum, then focus out to 100ft the focus will not
return back to minimum focus. And if I then focus out to 200ft and try to go back to minimum, the focus binds up again. Only if I focus out to infinity will the focus then return smoothly back to minimum. Kind of strange and something I can’t live with.

Now.. the shop I got them from says “they’ll take them back no problem” and they are very nice.

But I don’t want to give these up as I most likely won’t find a new pair (even though these are damaged)

My question is do you think Nikon can fix these? I’ve dealt with them on the DSLR
end and not too impressed.

Any Nikon reps out there can give some input. These bins are discontinued yet I’d like to get them fixed. Or get another pair (which is highly unlikely)

Cheers

Attachments

• cuts_chip1.jpg
    cuts_chip1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 419
  • side_dent.jpg
    side_dent.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
My question is do you think Nikon can fix these? I’ve dealt with them on the DSLR
end and not too impressed.

Any Nikon reps out there can give some input. These bins are discontinued yet I’d like to get them fixed. Or get another pair (which is highly unlikely)

Cheers

Oleaf,

My guess is that Nikon will not repair it but replace it with a different model, not with the EII, since they are no longer importing it. I met a bird watcher who sent her EII for service and got a different and more expensive model, making her unhappy. However, this will be Nikon USA's decision.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Oleaf,

My guess is that Nikon will not repair it but replace it with a different model, not with the EII, since they are no longer importing it. I met a bird watcher who sent her EII for service and got a different and more expensive model, making her unhappy. However, this will be Nikon USA's decision.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur,

Do you happen to know what that more expensive model was?

I have the EII and would be quite disappointed to have to give them up. Even if the replacement is the SE, I'm not sure I'd prefer them to the EII (mainly because of the reported blackout issue). I'm not sure there is a better (or even equal) overall image available at any price (at least for those who can work with the short ER). There certainly doesn't seem to be anything thing this good AND this wide. And now, it may be impossible to regain it if damaged (at least in the US).

Surely the brilliant EII designers know what they have created, and perhaps know ways to make it even better. It must be frustrating for them too, to see it being removed from (at least part of) the market.

APS

yes... I've heard of Nikon sometimes deciding to replace with another model. Even without telling the user.

Not sure if I'm going to send them back to the dealer (my guess is they'll just take a loss and I'll never see the bins again as it might not be worth the trouble) Or I'll take the time to deal with Nikon.

What a pain in the butt.

I did just talk to Nikon and they did say if they can not repair they would replace at their discretion. They wouldn't tell me what model they would replace it with if needed... but I doubt it would be an optical equivelant. Thank you very much.

They couldn't confirm nor deny they had EII parts... but maybe I'll take the chance and send the bins in.

The Nikon rep said if you don't want the model replaced if it can't be repaired include a note to remind them. Fair enough.

I don't want to waste time looking for another new pair or used pair (has anyone even seen a used pair for sale?)

That's the one. Certainly a concern.
But...they're right there in Brooklyn OLEAF so you can drive on down and check out the bins in person (that is if they have a storefront operation too and if they have them in stock). Not sure where in CT you live, so the drive may be more than an hour or two for you.

Oleaf,
I have the 8 x 30 and a refurbished 10 x 35. I was looking at your 1st thumbnail in post#4. The marks are evenly aligned with each other, as if they had been in a vise or some other kind of device to hold them. I wonder if they have had some work done on them in the past? The mark on the center hinge might also have been caused by Nikons tripod adapter. My 10 x 35 was sold as refurbished by Nikon but it doesn't have the marks on it that yours have. On refurbished binoculars Nikon stamps a tiny slot just underneath the 1st number of the binoculars serial# which is found on the front end of the hinge. If it has that then it was worked on by Nikon.

I hope you can work out your problem. They really are an outstanding binocular!
Bob

Arthur,

Do you happen to know what that more expensive model was?

I have the EII and would be quite disappointed to have to give them up. Even if the replacement is the SE, I'm not sure I'd prefer them to the EII (mainly because of the reported blackout issue).

Surely the brilliant EII designers know what they have created, and perhaps know ways to make it even better. It must be frustrating for them too, to see it being removed from (at least part of) the market.

APS

Dear Aps,

The bird watcher was upset at receiving the 8x32 SE. She was as devoted to her EII as you are. Like you, I prefer the EII to the SE, but I have neither, at the moment. I bought a Zeiss 8x32 FL and could not justify owning both. When I saw a wanted ad at Astromart, I sold the EII. Clearly giving up a $275 binocular for a $1200 one does not reflect badly on the lower priced one and the EII still has a better FOV.

As Nikon is still selling the EII in Japan and in Europe, lay the blame on Nikon USA's interpretation of the American market. They can sell more cheap roof glasses than optically superior Porro's at the same price point.

Oleaf,

Your experience with Nikon USA service is as disappointingly uninformative as my experience was frustrating and useless.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

I did just talk to Nikon and they did say if they can not repair they would replace at their discretion. They wouldn't tell me what model they would replace it with if needed... but I doubt it would be an optical equivelant. Thank you very much.

They couldn't confirm nor deny they had EII parts... but maybe I'll take the chance and send the bins in.

The Nikon rep said if you don't want the model replaced if it can't be repaired include a note to remind them. Fair enough.

I don't want to waste time looking for another new pair or used pair (has anyone even seen a used pair for sale?)
Nikon cannot commit to you because they have not seen your binocular. I know of two Nikon "repairs" that ended up as brand new replacements; I think you should trust Nikon at this point. Please let us know what transpires.

John

Thanks for the input guys.

John is right… I think I'll try Nikon service and see what happens.
The bins are discontinued… so it’s not their fault if they can’t fix them.

I will say I am a little PO’d that the shop sold these as new. The shop mentioned a British fellow had called a week earlier and wanted to buy these EII’s. But, he never called back in a timely manner and I purchased them. If you’re out there, you dodged a bullet on these bins.

Wish me luck. I’ll post the results!

Cheers

Dear Aps,

The bird watcher was upset at receiving the 8x32 SE. She was as devoted to her EII as you are. Like you, I prefer the EII to the SE, but I have neither, at the moment. I bought a Zeiss 8x32 FL and could not justify owning both. When I saw a wanted ad at Astromart, I sold the EII. Clearly giving up a $275 binocular for a $1200 one does not reflect badly on the lower priced one and the EII still has a better FOV.

:scribe:

Thanks Arthur. The truth is I really don't exactly like the EIIs overall; I do like the view though. I am, as you say, "devoted" to them, just because IMO the only bins that approach their pleasing view are $1K plus. Things I don't like are: the eyecup/ER problems, no rubber armor, no weather-proofing, bulkiness. I suppose I will eventually take the leap and get some high-end roofs.

APS

If you’re out there, you dodged a bullet on these bins.

Wish me luck. I’ll post the results!

Cheers

Oleaf,

You could still come out quite good on these. You seem to be lucky already just because you have them (and not the other guy).

So you have to send them to Nikon: One possibility is that they fix them or somehow replace them with new EIIs. Another possibility is (based on Pinewood's post) that they send you a new pair of SEs. Considering your ER situation, you might actually prefer the SE over the EII. Most comparisons I've read consider them to be very similar optically.

APS

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back